Im in Pain (Swimmers Shoulder)

Options
So I have been swimming as a regular work out for a few months now. Pushing my self as needed. Ontop of that I have been running/elyptical/bike. Anyways the past two days my shoulder has been in agony, keeps poping in and out of place. I googled it and there is this thing called swimmers shoulder i might have. If thats not bad enough at the same time my knee on the right side has been in pain it keeps locking up.

So what should I do, I cant quit working out and get lazy again until it heals so what is a good alternative?

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    So I have been swimming as a regular work out for a few months now. Pushing my self as needed. Ontop of that I have been running/elyptical/bike. Anyways the past two days my shoulder has been in agony, keeps poping in and out of place. I googled it and there is this thing called swimmers shoulder i might have. If thats not bad enough at the same time my knee on the right side has been in pain it keeps locking up.

So what should I do, I cant quit working out and get lazy again until it heals so what is a good alternative?

If it keeps "popping in and out" you may be experiencing partial dislocations. I ignored something similar when I was 15 from a skateboarding mishap and have dealt with a bum right shoulder for the rest of my adult life.

Get it checked out by a medical professional. It'll most likely need resting. And then after that you'll probably need some physio exercises to sort it out. Hopefully, it's nothing that serious, but you should be on the safe side.
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Please see a physical therapist or ortho. Swimmer's shoulder can involve a variety of muscle groups and or connective tissues. It is important to find out if you truly have an overuse injury or a more acute issue. Severe shoulder damage can require surgical intervention depending on the nature and duration of your symptoms. Let someone with a professional background in kinesiology and physiology help you find a safe path. If you push yourself in the wrong direction you risk sabotaging your overall health.

Please be well.
  • shawnpcorreia
    Options
    Please see a physical therapist or ortho. Swimmer's shoulder can involve a variety of muscle groups and or connective tissues. It is important to find out if you truly have an overuse injury or a more acute issue. Severe shoulder damage can require surgical intervention depending on the nature and duration of your symptoms. Let someone with a professional background in kinesiology and physiology help you find a safe path. If you push yourself in the wrong direction you risk sabotaging your overall health.

Please be well.

^this^ Also having had both my shoulder and knee repaired extensively, I can assume your knee may have a torn meniscus or something. Not a DR. just familiar with the locking up that you speak of. See a good sports Dr. please and let us know how you make out. Listen to your body, "Working through the pain" most often has long term effects.