Too much sugar

Options
I know this has been discussed on a number of other posts but I'd like to know if I am going to gain weight because of my excess sugar. My breakfast today (watermelon, an orange and a banana) already put me over my sugar recommendation and all my food today will total to 71g of sugar. My next meals will be wheat spaghetti and a simple sauce and my lunch was vegetable soup, whole wheat pitta bread and hummus and I'll also have a whey protein shake (250ish calories with milk) after I do insanity Surely eating this healthy will not stop me from losing weight?

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Too many calories will make you gain weight and it wouldn't really matter if it's a calorie surplus of fruit or cookies.
  • Megan462
    Megan462 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thats the thing, im at a defecit of 300-500 eating this way
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    As long as you're getting enough protein and fat, while staying within your caloric goals then you have nothing to worry about. The excess sugar will just be burned off.
  • BigCupOTea
    Options
    Too many calories will make you gain weight and it wouldn't really matter if it's a calorie surplus of fruit or cookies.

This^^
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    If you gain weight specific to ingesting sugars, it's usually temporary water gain. The kinds of sugars make a difference not in the calorie burn, but in the rate (sugars from fruit and grains come packaged with fiber and proteins that help slow things down and balance things out). In my experience, the more healthy sugars like fruits, potatoes and grains do not cause as much water retention as more processed sugars like sweets or white flour (pasta, breads) and have more nutrition packed into them.

I eat a lot of the kind of sugar you describe and I'm shedding a lot of both water and fat. Everyone is different, but it's definitely not slowing me down.

Hope that helps!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    The whole 'calories out v. calories in' is incredibly simplistic. Your body *does* in fact know the difference between that piece of fruit and that cookie- it also knows the difference between the simple carbohydrate of that piece of fruit and the protein of, say, milk. Having said that, it doesn't mean overloading yourself on fruit simply because it's healthier than the cookie is a good thing. Fruit is nature's candy- and while it has vitamins and minerals in their natural form (unlike processed sweet foods) it is still a simple carbohydrate.
  • Megan462
    Megan462 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone who replied! was just getting worried by the sugar section on the food tracker coming up red.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The whole 'calories out v. calories in' is incredibly simplistic. Your body *does* in fact know the difference between that piece of fruit and that cookie- it also knows the difference between the simple carbohydrate of that piece of fruit and the protein of, say, milk. Having said that, it doesn't mean overloading yourself on fruit simply because it's healthier than the cookie is a good thing. Fruit is nature's candy- and while it has vitamins and minerals in their natural form (unlike processed sweet foods) it is still a simple carbohydrate.

No, your body does not, in fact, know the difference between a cookie and fruit. It can tell protein from fat or carbohydrate, but doesn't care where they came from. It can't tell fructose in an apple from fructose in 7Up. Fructose is the problem with HFCS, BTW. Apples are particularly high in fructose, and not a particularly good choice as far as fruit goes. Bananas are particularly low in fructose, and are a much better choice.

But weight loss is still all about caloric deficit--if the ONLY goal is weight loss, what the calories came from is irrelevant.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    But weight loss is still all about caloric deficit--if the ONLY goal is weight loss, what the calories came from is irrelevant.

I would agree with you if you specified "fat loss" ... but "weight loss" is often addressing water retention as well, and for many that can mean processed sugars need addressing, or the chemicals/additives of processed foods need to be eliminated, sodium/kidney issues at play or even grains need to be addressed because of particular health problems. Sometimes the health problem is undiagnosed and the person doesn't even realize the water:fat ratio, so must experiment with diet to see what happens.

The key is to look at the loss/gain on a long-term approach rather than day by day but the day-to-day increases/decreases can clue you in to what things make you retain water, which can be clues to health issues that may be laying dormant (or that you even know about). Most morbidly obese people have quite a bit of water stored up for various reasons, but the water retention is not specific to them as it is a body's defense when a variety of things go awry.

Just throwing that in for added perspective!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    No, your body does not, in fact, know the difference between a cookie and fruit. It can tell protein from fat or carbohydrate, but doesn't care where they came from. It can't tell fructose in an apple from fructose in 7Up. Fructose is the problem with HFCS, BTW. Apples are particularly high in fructose, and not a particularly good choice as far as fruit goes. Bananas are particularly low in fructose, and are a much better choice.

If you think there is no difference between how your intestine digests an apple versus 7UP then please do some research and educate yourself before posting this nonsense. Eating apples is associated with a DECREASED risk of diabetes, as are many other fruits. 7UP? yeah not so much.

Once the food has finally been digested into fructose and absorbed into your bloodstream then there isn't any difference anymore. But that doesn't happen magically.

Harvard School of Public Health (2013, August 29). Eating whole fruits linked to lower risk of Type 2 diabetes. ScienceDaily. Retrieved October 16, 2013, from http://www.sciencedaily.com­ /releases/2013/08/130829214603.htm
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Harvard School of Public Health (2013, August 29). Eating whole fruits linked to lower risk of Type 2 diabetes. ScienceDaily. Retrieved October 16, 2013, from http://www.sciencedaily.com­ /releases/2013/08/130829214603.htm

Interesting long term epidemiology, identifies certain fruits with a beneficial association
    Eating more whole fruits, particularly blueberries, grapes, and apples, was significantly associated with a lower risk of type 2 diabetes
    Greater consumption of fruit juices was associated with a higher risk of type 2 diabetes.

Strawberries, and cantaloupe look to come out the other way too, with increased pooled risk from every three servings/week. The associations of individual fruits are not determined by their glycemic index or glycemic load values. They didn't look at carb or sugar intakes, or the sugar composition of the fruits.
    Total fruit consumption is not consistently associated with a lower risk of type 2 diabetes - hence the study to look at individual ones.
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options

I lose weight quicker when I eat apples. Just what I notice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

The above link "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" shows some fruits although have fructose they also have fiber which help controls the insulin production in your body. In short:A cookie does not have this fiber and does not help control insulin. A cookie is worse for you than fruit because of it.

The sugar Chemistry lesson starts at min 45. Fructose chemistry starts at 56 min. Fructose raises uric acid at min 59. Uric acid linked to hypertension around 59 min. 107 min Brain thinks it's starving due to Fructose. 113 min sugar with fiber (Fruit ) is better. FDA will not regulate Fructose (Chronic Toxin) min 124.
    Min 127 summary and symptoms.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I lose weight quicker when I eat apples. Just what I notice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

The above link "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" shows some fruits although have fructose they also have fiber which help controls the insulin production in your body. In short:A cookie does not have this fiber and does not help control insulin. A cookie is worse for you than fruit because of it.

The sugar Chemistry lesson starts at min 45. Fructose chemistry starts at 56 min. Fructose raises uric acid at min 59. Uric acid linked to hypertension around 59 min. 107 min Brain thinks it's starving due to Fructose. 113 min sugar with fiber (Fruit ) is better. FDA will not regulate Fructose (Chronic Toxin) min 124.
    Min 127 summary and symptoms.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/