butternut squash recipes? anyone?

Options

Replies

• sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Peel and cube butternut squash. Roast in oven with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper till done.
    Make marinade
    Olive oil
    lime juice
    garlic
    Serrano or thai chili pepper
    Cilantro
    Pour marinade on squash and serve. Does not matter if this is room temp or hot. Really good.
  • WinniDePoux
    Options
    Google a butternut squash chili. Sounds weird but it is incredible with some tweaks! I add lower fat ground beef, since it just seems to balance out the sweetness of the butternut. I also usually double the beans and vegetables called for in all of the chili I make. The biggest tweak I would advise with the butternut chili, though, is to lower the cinnamon and increase the heat spices usually called for; makes for a yummy, savory comfort food that has that little *pop*!
  • Psyb3r
    Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
    Options
  • mandi9041
    mandi9041 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just got the ingredients to try this! It sounds delicious anyway!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/09/butternut-squash-and-spinach-lasagna.html

Butternut squash and spinach lasagna rolls
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love baking it with shrimp black beans, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli- put a pat of butter in the dish , cover and cook for an hour or less depending on how soft you want everything and voila!!!!---- master piece!!!!
    All kinds of yumminess:) and just season to taste (I use cavendar's greek seaoning)
  • Carrriie
    Carrriie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is a great recipe for butternut squash soup in the most recent Better Homes & Gardens magazine. It's probably one of the most delicious soups I've ever eaten, and it's super healthy. It's low in calories, fat, sugar, has plenty of vitamins, etc.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Plain roasted with salt, pepper, EVOO is awesome, but if you want a little more to it try these:

Roasted Butternut Squash with Rosemary (soooo good)

http://www.padmaskitchen.com/2008/09/roasted-butternut-sqaush-with-rosemary.html

Butternut Squash with Baby Spinach and Cranberries (excellent, holiday dinner worthy)

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=348355

I also take pureed butternut squash and add it to my french toast liquid - my kids love it - just makes the toast a little more "golden"
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Butternut Apple Crisp...I make it for thanksgiving

1 butternut squash, peeled and thinly sliced (recommend using something other than a knife like a mandolin or chopper)
    2-3 apples, good firm baking apples (I like macoun, granny smith also gives a nice flavor)
    1/4 karo syrup
    2 tablespoons lemon juice (to keep apples from turning brown)
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1 tablespoon corn starch
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp salt

Topping: (you can do this or you can cheat like me and just buy apple crisp topping package)
    1/2 cup all purpose flour
    1/2 cup quick oats
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    6 tablespoons cold butter

Peel and slice and remove seeds from squash and apples. In a large bowl, combine apples and lemon juice, toss to coat. Then add it squash, karo syrup, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt. Make sure all are coated well.

Transfer to a 9x13 baking dish, coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes
    Make topping: combine flour oats and brown sugar. Cut in cold butter until topping looks like crumbles. Sprinkle on top of the squash.
    Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes @ 375.

I've done all kinds of things to this recipe, mainly used less of the brown sugar and karo, plus added pecans and used pre-packaged apple crisp topping. Its fun to experiment.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Bump! Yum!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I have two for that
    1. Butternut squash pastry
    1) drive to starbucks
    2) ask for butternut squash pastry
    3) pay for it
    4) eat it

2. Butternut squash dinner
    1) drive to macaroni grill
    2) ask for butternut squash pasta
    3) pay for it
    4) eat it

I haven't been cooking much lately and to be honest never knew how to make this food or what it tastes like.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    bump because I was just googling recipes for butternut squash.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Savory butternut squash pancake...165 calories each!

(Along the same lines as the banana & egg pancake, only using butternut squash instead of banana)

1 cup cooked (mine was oven roasted previously) butternut squash
    1 large egg
    2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese, separated into 1 teaspoon each
    pinch rosemary, thyme, garlic powder to taste

Spray a flat skillet with cooking oil spray. Heat pan while mashing squash. Add parmesan cheese and spices. Whisk in 1 egg until smooth. Pour and spread squash batter evenly into pan. If thick, may have to spread it out with back of a large spoon. Lower heat to low/medium low. Cook slowly until top is no longer wet and shiny looking. Make sure the heat is not to high so that the bottom doesn't burn while cooking. Cut pancake into quarters with knife of side of a spatula to make for easier flipping. These are kind of delicate, so they do not hold together well when trying to flip a whole one. Turn each quarter over gently to allow other side to brown slightly. Turn off heat. Ease quatrters onto a plate. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.

I topped each quarter with a teaspoon or so of plain greek yogurt and fresh chopped chives, but did not include these in the calorie count.
  • SunshineGRL76
    SunshineGRL76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Defin want to try some of these delicious recipes!
  • tfisher0915
    tfisher0915 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    butter nut squash ravioli

boil or bake squash. mash with fork season with salt pepper sage sautéed finely chopped onion and a glove of garlic. mix together in a bowl. Place a dollop in the middle of an egg roll wrapper. Fold over and seal edges with a little water. Drop into boiling water and boil for a few minutes until they float. These are great with a nice tomato sauce.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I made a butternut squash soup the other day, it was really good.

You cook an onion and some garlic for a few mins

Add chopped up butternut squash, 2 parsnips, 4 medium carrots

Crumble a chicken stock cube on top and add a litre of water

Leave to cook!

I guess you could add other veg if you want, or lentils.

This is the proper recipe: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2335429
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Butternut Squash Soup

2 Tbsp. Butter
    1 small onion
    1 stalk celery
    1 medium carrot
    2 medium red potatoes
    1 med squash - peeled, seeded & cubed
    1 32 oz. carton organic veggie stock

Melt butter in large pot. Cook onion, celery, carrot, potatoes and squash 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Pour in enough stock to cover, about 3 cups. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 40 minutes. Put in food processor or use immersion blender and process until smooth. Return to pot and mix in additional stock, if necessary, to attain desired consistency.

Excellent!

I just made yesterday butter nut, sweet peppers and apple soup. Instead of potatoes I used chopped sweet peppers and one apple (I don't even peeled), and low sodium vegetable broth (not Swanson). I also used the immersion blender and pureed until smooth and I seasoned it with ginger, pepper and sage and a touch of salt. You can serve it hot with a spoon full of fat free plain Greek yogurt for added protein. Delicious and low calorie.

Note: I buy in Costco the cubed butternut squash and I use the whole package (32 oz). The soup freezes well.
  • echoesmyron
    echoesmyron Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I made this chickpea and butternut squash salad this week and it was a hit with other members of my family. http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/01/warm-butternut-squash-and-chickpea-salad/ Under 400 cal/serving and I think one could use less oil both in roasting the squash and in the dressing!

Am planning to make a variation on this squash filled variation on mac and cheese this week !
    http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2012/02/29/baked-roasted-squash-ricotta-and-fusilli/
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    - Wash and cut a medium squash in half, lengthwise
    - Roast until soft, fork tender
    - While roasting saute onions, garlic, mushrooms, spinach with olive oil, S&P,sage
    - When squash is done fill the holes with the garlic/onion mixture and add a tiny pat of light Becel margerine and return to oven for 15 minutes.
    - When done garnish with parmesan cheese.
    Sorry I don't measure things lol