3 months, ZERO PROGRESS

Options
I would really appreciate some help, guys. Please read the whole thing first, if you have the time.

I have been on my healthy journey for three months now. I work out at least 5 days a week (sometimes more), lifting weights and doing cardio. I have a calorie tracker similar to the Polar watches that lets me know I am burning at least 300 calories in a half hour.

I eat healthy. I started off clean, but that is ridiculously expensive and time-consuming, so now I do allow some processed food in my diet that is low calorie, low sodium, high protein. I intake 1500 calories currently, over 100 ounces of water a day. Very little sugar, one cheat meal a week. Really, I am doing all the right things here, and I have researched this daily since I began to make sure I was doing what I needed to.

I HAVE ZERO CHANGE. My clothes fit the same, the scale flucuates in a 4-5 pound range and is never, ever consistent.

To say I am disappointed would be an understatement. I don't know what else to do here.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring all of your food? Eyeballing portions is not the way to go. Logging absolutely everything, cream in coffee, candy, tastes?

A HRM is not accurate for lifting. It's meant for steady state cardio and will grossly over exaggerate numbers for lifting.

Something is definitely not right because you should be losing easily on what you say you're doing.
  • thehappyfitmusician
    Options
    I struggled with this once I started exercising as well. My first six months I only focused on nutrition and couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing once I was working harder with exercise. Come to find out, I wasn't eating enough and was depriving my body of fuel because I was only netting about 700 calories a day when my BMR was around 1600.

Do you eat back your exercise calories? If not, there is your problem. If you are eating 1500 and burning 300-600 then you are in too great of a calorie deficit.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    either under estimating calories in and/or over estimating calories out.

End of story.
  • aimeejolene
    Options
    I am OCD about my caloric intake. I DO measure, I DO count everything that goes in my mouth. Sorry, but it is not "end of story."

If I need to be eating back my calories, then I can do that. I was under the impression I needed to be KEEPING that deficit, not counteracting it entirely. Everything that I have read (and I have read all over the place trying to figure out the problem) says that to lose weight you have to create a deficit, not create it then eat over it.

I am so confused.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open , so can't tell what your food choices are. open it up if you would like some help with that.. How many times a week are you working out?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I said and/or.

if your HRM does not have a chest strap and you are using it for weight training you are over estimating burns.

It doesn't matter the deficet in reality if you are at a deficet you will lose. People on VLCD (very low calories diet) lose weight not in a good way but they still lose.

End of story.
  • aimeejolene
    Options
    My account here and the one I use on my phone are not the same so opening it up won't give you anything. Sorry :/
  • aimeejolene
    Options
    I DO have a chest strap. Really, do you have to talk to me like that? I am here for help, not to be belittled. If you don't want to offer me actual help, that's fine - just don't.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I agree that opening your diary would help. How cheat of a cheat meal are you having?

Edit: Can you give us your stats?
  • linzchapates
    Options
    You're either overestimating how much you are burning off in your work outs or you are underestimating how many calories you are eating. Simple math, If you have a calorie deficit, you will lose. Period.
  • MaeRenee94
    Options
    I too have seen little difference and am frustrated with my progress.
    Things that have worked for me to boost weight loss is by switching up calorie intake constantly and what you are eating. Also bumping up cardio, I mostly lift and that is a much slower process in weight loss. Cardio will boost it, but still lift
  • aimeejolene
    Options
    My diary isn't linked here. I can post what I ate yesterday, if it helps - almost every day is the same for me.

I am 5'2", 205 (ish). My cheat day is one meal on Wednesday with my mom where I get to have french fries, my biggest weakness. I can give it up, but I try to eat as clean as possible on that day so that the french fries don't completely blow my day.

I eat a ton of protein to prevent muscle loss from under-eating and over-working. Example - FP says my estimated protein intake should be at 15% on their spiffy new pie chart. I was at 24%.
  • jweeks1989
    Options
    I am pretty mush going through the same thins. Ive been working out for the past couple of months and haven't seen a loss in weight. People keep telling me just give it time. I think its great the effort your putting in to your dieting and working out. You are helping yourself in so many ways. So if you think you are doing everything right then just give it time. I have heard it takes about 6 months to really notice a change.. Keep positive!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Can you walk farther? run faster? do stairs without almost dying? lift heavier things? Because if you answer yes to any of those that is progress.

Do you take measurements? Are you sure your clothes are fitting the same? I am still wearing the same clothes I was 3 years ago... but uh.... they actually fit me now instead of me stuffing myself into them so sometimes clothes are not the best judge.

Are you weighing and measuring your food so it is accurate? are you a grazer - do you test everything you are cooking because that crap adds up fast without you even realizing it?

Are you being 100% honest in your efforts? Are you sure you are burning what you say you are burning? Are you 100% sure you are eating what you are eating?

There are a lot of reasons why you might not be progressing, I don't live with you or know you but I can tell you from personal experience that chances are you are cheating yourself somewhere and you do not even realize it.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I am OCD about my caloric intake. I DO measure, I DO count everything that goes in my mouth. Sorry, but it is not "end of story."

If I need to be eating back my calories, then I can do that. I was under the impression I needed to be KEEPING that deficit, not counteracting it entirely. Everything that I have read (and I have read all over the place trying to figure out the problem) says that to lose weight you have to create a deficit, not create it then eat over it.

I am so confused.

If your fitness goals are set to lose weight, it already calculated a deficit *for* you. I'm likely MUCH smaller than you and I'm supposed to net 1400 (food-exercise=net). Set it to lose half a pound a week and aim for netting that number.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    No way to tell your diary is closed
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    You probably need to eat FEWER calories. When you figured your TDEE, you should have taken into account your activity level, you shouldn't be "eating back" calories you allowed for in that calculation. Your calorie goal should be 20% less than your TDEE, and that's all the calories you should eat. Hopefully you're getting enough protein and fat in your diet, so you feel satiated.

If 1500 calories isn't working, try 1400 for a month. Also, no cheat meals, unless you remain at your daily calorie goal. One 2000 calorie day will negate several days of starving. Our bodies don't respond to day-to-day stuff, they respond to steady trends. Your "cheat meals" are probably the main reason you haven't lost weight. Also, don't overestimate the weight-loss benefits of exercise. There are benefits of exercise, but it's more of an overall health than a weight loss thing. The vast majority of your weight loss will come from your diet, and staying at a consistent calorie goal that is appropriate for you age/height/weight/goals.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Have you had a physical lately? If you are in a calorie deficit and not losing, you might want to ask your doctor about it. It could be thyroid or another physical issue that is preventing / slowing weight loss.

I would also suggest Googling TDEE and finding a site to calculate yours, and eat at a 20% deficit to your TDEE. You may have to play with the numbers a little bit but you should start to see progress. Don't be surprised if your calorie number is higher than what you're eating now. I work out 5 days a week and I eat 1700-1800 calories a day.

The biggest thing is don't get discouraged. If you're eating healthier and exercising, you're benefitting your body and getting healthy. Take your measurements because if you get wrapped up in the number on the scale, you'll get disappointed from time to time. Measure every couple of weeks.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should go see your doctor for a checkup? If you are honestly recording every calorie eaten and burned and are as accurate as possible, it does not make sense that you would not lose weight in a 3 month period if you are creating a calorie deficit.