Eating too early

Options
Okay so today for instance, it's 11:40 am and I have ate both breakfast and lunch and I'm having to stop myself from going in and making another meal! I normally have to have my dinner at around 4pm as I'm always starving and am never hungry at night, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has the same problem and how to solve it? Thanks!

Replies

• Susan_Rae_1
    Susan_Rae_1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Are you carb heavy? Personally I find carbs to be way too easy to eat and they make me feel hungrier. THAT'S what happens to me... carbs early and consistent keep me hungry.
  • WhyDelilah79
    WhyDelilah79 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Is this just since you have been calorie counting or is this normal for you?
    If you're not hungry at night, maybe just eat earlier?
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Actually no; I don't even see this as a problem. By 1000 in the morning I have already eaten my third meal. Of course I try to do 6 or 7 smaller meals each day. But I eat before I leave for work 5 AM, I try to make this protein heavy. Then I will have a packet of oatmeal as one, and another meal of all fruits and veggies. Then I do my workout. Once I am back from the lunch workout I will eat my lunch; which is about a 40/40/20 meal. Followed by an afternoon snack. Then at home I do dinner and a evening snack.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Are you carb heavy? Personally I find carbs to be way too easy to eat and they make me feel hungrier. THAT'S what happens to me... carbs early and consistent keep me hungry.

That's the first thing I thought of too. If I eat too many carbs, I am never satisfied.
  • Florameg456
    Florameg456 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

It's just since I started to count, since I only eat 3 meals I thought if I was having my last one really early it wasn't very good for me
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    find if I eat more protein the hunger tends to go away. boil an egg.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you have your account set at losing 2 lbs per week? I suspect it's a combination of not enough calories and not enough protein and fat. Can you open you diary?

What you should do though is have your account set at 1/2 or 1 lb per week, change macro's to around 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats, and exercise so you can eat 50% of those exercise calories. At 18, a 2000 calorie diet is not uncommon if you are active.
  • jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do this too... I find I'm hungrier early in the day. I can eat my last meal at four in the afternoon and be good for the rest of the evening. I've been this way pretty much all of my life. It's just the way my body works... I get up early and typically am a morning exerciser.

I don't think its a problem unless you're over you calorie goal.
  • Florameg456
    Options
    Do you have your account set at losing 2 lbs per week? I suspect it's a combination of not enough calories and not enough protein and fat. Can you open you diary?

What you should do though is have your account set at 1/2 or 1 lb per week, change macro's to around 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats, and exercise so you can eat 50% of those exercise calories. At 18, a 2000 calorie diet is not uncommon if you are active.

For some reason I track everything on my diary in the app for iphone, and it doesn't show up on the website hence why I can't open my diary, it's set at losing 2lb and my calories are at 1200. I ride my horses everyday if that counts as exercise
  • Florameg456
    Options
    I do this too... I find I'm hungrier early in the day. I can eat my last meal at four in the afternoon and be good for the rest of the evening. I've been this way pretty much all of my life. It's just the way my body works... I get up early and typically am a morning exerciser.

Thank you!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If your last meal is at 4pm and you are happy to not snack for the rest of the evening plus you're within your calorie goal then keep going. :)
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

It's just since I started to count, since I only eat 3 meals I thought if I was having my last one really early it wasn't very good for me

Eat whenever you want. Meal timing has nothing to do with weight loss. Just stay within your calorie goal and it won't matter when you eat.
  • jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Thank you!

ooops.. typo "your" calorie goal :)

You are welcome... People at the office used to laugh because I was always the one going to lunch at 11 or 11:30... I used to bring a meal to eat around 4 because I found myself hitting the vending machines for a snack. I decided if I was hungry at that time... maybe I needed to just eat. :)

Bottom line do what works! Good luck !
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I try to wait until I'm hungry to have breakfast but some days I can't and then I'm starving for lunch at 11am. It really doesn't matter what I eat. But usually I'm fine if I have an earlier dinner, although I try to eat more filling snacks in the afternoon when that happens.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Work out and eat back some exercise calories.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Eat any time you want it doesn't matter. You can eat one meal or five.

Personally I'm always wanting to eat or snack at night so it helps to not eat such a big breakfast.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    More Protein. i used to eat smaller meals and was hungry all day, constantly eating little bits. i switched to doing 16:8 IF. i eat two large meals. much happier and not hungry nearly as much.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If the last two days of your diary are typical of what you eat, then I'd say it's not an issue of eating too early, but too little - below 1000 cals both days.

The fact that you are so hungry should clue you in - you need to eat more! :smile:

Lots of good advice in the thread already - more protein & healthy fats, accurate diary settings for the right amount of cals, if you exercise, eat those cals back.
  • gale1089
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

^^ You should take a look around this site. I found it extremely helpful!

I've been experimenting with intermittent fasting (stop eating at 8:30pm and eat the next day around 11:30am) and it's actually been much easier than I thought! Not to mention, it's helped me recognize my hunger cues and figure out when I'm truly hungry, or just bored. Something you might want to look into.