Busty Running

Options
Any busty ladies out there have advice for cardio? I am currently a 40H and no sports bra (that I've found, anyway- suggestions are great!) seems able to minimize the pain that comes with jumping up and down. It just seems like the best cardio exercise comes with high impact like jumping rope or jogging. Thoughts?

Oh and I'm looking for more support so add me if you like!

Replies

• emmyworthy
    emmyworthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem as I am a 38G.

I find swimming the best form of cardio because every muscle in your body is working!
    And no sports bra needed!
    It also serves as strength training in a way because of the resistance of the water. So you'll lose loads of inches as well as weight!

Give it a try and then when your bust shrinks you can try running to see if the pain is less.

Good Luck=]
  • mimere
    mimere Posts: 19
    Options
    That's a good idea! But alas, why oh why does swimming involve wearing a bathing suit? ;)
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I pull my bra straps together in the back, and loop a hair elastic around the straps. Makes it like a racerback, and it perks the twins up like nobodys business! Then I throw a sports bra over top. It squishes them down and stabilizes them like no problem. They don't even move during jumping jacks!
  • Raychel_xoxo
    Options
    I am not that big, but I am only 5'2 with a 34DD.
    A sports bra alone doesn't help me at all, so what I do alot is wear a regular bra (an old one that I don't care if it gets sweaty and stuff), and then I'll wear a sports bra over that (and usually in a cup size smaller size so it's tighter fitting), and then over that, and under my work out shirt I'll wear a tank top that has a built in bra.

I know-there's a lot going on there haha. But it keeps them in place very well, I have no pain whatsoever when I run or jump or anything.
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    HI there

Shock absorber do fantastic sports bra's and I always shop for bra's from bravissimo online they sell lots of different types for busty ladies (i think they do bra's to j or k cup)

They sell support swimsuits too.

Good luck with losing the bounce.

Sarah
  • tulaniq
    tulaniq Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The only thing that works for me is to wear my most supportive sports bra underneath a tight yoga top (which has a serious bra built in as well)...something about having it go all the way down my torso I think helps things bounce around less than when I tried just two bras. I hope you can find something that works, it's so frustrating to WANT to exercise but be in pain :(
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I found a great sports bra at Old Navy. It's stretchy but stiff and has removable inserts that provide great stability. You can try low impact cardio machines like the elliptical or an arc trainer. The arc trainer is great, no impact and can burn at least 500 calories an hour.
  • kar74
    kar74 Posts: 49
    Options
    I am not that big, but I am only 5'2 with a 34DD.
    A sports bra alone doesn't help me at all, so what I do alot is wear a regular bra (an old one that I don't care if it gets sweaty and stuff), and then I'll wear a sports bra over that (and usually in a cup size smaller size so it's tighter fitting), and then over that, and under my work out shirt I'll wear a tank top that has a built in bra.

I know-there's a lot going on there haha. But it keeps them in place very well, I have no pain whatsoever when I run or jump or anything.

I am a 36I/J and do something very similar...layer upon layer. Seems to do the trick for the most part but I can't actually run. I stay at a slow jog (around 4.5-5 mph)/ Afterwards, I have to take an ibuprofen so I don't get a headache. That tends to be the side effect of the jogging combined with the layers. :(
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I have a Nike sports bra that is amazing, but you'll probably have to wear two bras. Try one regular, t-shirt bra (but not a pushup or anything uncomfortable) underneath a tight sports bra. I definitely recommend Nike. They're a little more expensive but worth it. Also, I've been doing some Jillian Michaels dvds lately and while some of the cardio is hard on the chest, it only lasts a couple of minutes at a time and then you move on to something else.
  • stephqj
    stephqj Posts: 20
    Options
    Real Simple recently had a review of sports bras. Their fave for the busty girls (like me) is a $62 La Mystere bra from barenecessities.com I just read the article and haven't tried it, but Real SImple has never failed me. They also suggested getting the rcaer back clip to convert any bra for additional support.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    This one, right here.

http://www.titlenine.com/product/sports-bras-and-undies/medium-high-impact-sports-bras/313801.do?sortby=ourPicks

It's ugly, it's expensive, and it literally CHANGED MY LIFE. I once told my trainer, "no, these *&$@#s don't run." Now they do. The girls.don't.move. Seriously.

Title Nine sells it as "the last resort", but it's actually the Enell. Google them for a store finder.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    HI there

Shock absorber do fantastic sports bra's and I always shop for bra's from bravissimo online they sell lots of different types for busty ladies (i think they do bra's to j or k cup)

Sarah

I totally agree! I am a 34H and have an awesome bra from Shock Absorber. I have started jogging using this bra and for the first time in my life I do not hurt when I get home. Although I also love swimming. A nice one piece suit gives me the confidence to go swimming.
  • Chipperoo23
    Options
    I found this online: @ big bust support

What to Look For

Don't buy one that you have to pull on over your head. For one, they're embarrassing to put on and second they will not offer you good support. If it's stretchy enough to pull on over your head then it's definitely not tight enough to hold you tight.
    Look for a one that hooks in the front or the back.
    It needs to be the right size to keep you held in tight. They tend to run smaller in size in order to do this.
    Invest the time to find the right sized bra.
    Look for material that wicks away moisture. Nylon works great for this.
    Also the material that makes up your bra should not be stretchy. Try stretching it with your hands. Look for strong fabric.
    A good sports bra for big busts will probably be ugly. The uglier the better. You're not trying to win beauty contests here, so it's okay.
    It needs to have lots of re-enforced fabric**, extra wide bands, and full coverage cups. No one will see it anyway, but they will notice you if you have to run with your hands supporting your chest. Now that looks funny.

**Just based on the re-enforced fabric idea the layering technique should help stiffle the bounce. Also, I'm sure there are sports bras out there for you. Try googling them, but be prepared to spend some cash--the really good ones are quite pricey!

I hope this helps!
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    This has always been a problem for me too. I find I even have to hold my arms across my chest during bumpy rollercoasters! I've become something of a runner lately, though, and my best way to go is what a couple of these girls have already mentioned--a super supportive sports bra, a size or two down from my regular bra size, along with a tight built-in-bra shirt. My current favorite is actually Champion, which is Target's brand and not very expensive, but I'm pretty sure they've stopped making the kind I use. OF COURSE. :) I find I'm most comfortable if the ladies are separated, though, so molded cups are (in my opinion) the way to go--I always bounce more and have more pain with uniboob bras.

And if it's that time of the month... forget it, no support system on earth is capable of preventing the pain.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Hi There, I wear the Enell sports bra, (I'm 36DD) and I know they also do custom orders. I have a friend who wears an Enell bra and I believe she is a size GG. Let me tell you, the girls do not move during running, jumping jacks- anything! I would say go to a specialty bra shop, that's where I found this sports bra. It is expensive, but I know people who wear two bras and to me that works out to be the same price. I wear mine every day and it shows no sign of stretching out. Only the paint is chipping off on the hooks.

However, as alternative cardio exercises that are medium impact I would recommend the elliptical and the rowing machine. The rowing machine provides an all over body workout and cardio with no movement on the girls, it's my current favorite. The elliptical is also medium to low impact.
    Good luck!
    Here's a link for it. I think it was also mentioned in a previous post. It really is life changing!
    http://www.ladiesonlysports.com/enwhenyouare.html
  • bigdaddycowgill
    bigdaddycowgill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I agree. I swim at least 4-5 times a week for 30-40 minutes(2 hours on Saturdays) & have lost 23 lbs in 7 weeks & toned up quite a bit. My wife has the same problem (she's a 40D) & also loves to swim for exercise because she has the same problem. She has a Speedo swimsuit & wears a T-shirt over it. We've found that the people swimming laps aren't paying attention to what other people are doing/wearing, etc...
  • emmyworthy
    emmyworthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    We've found that the people swimming laps aren't paying attention to what other people are doing/wearing, etc...
    I totally agree!! and if they do pay attention to what you look like just think about why you are doing all the exercise and focus on that goal weight that you are going to be no matter what they think!
  • hail87666
    hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I agree with all those that said Shock Absorbers were the best! I only wear one and it can be worn alone as it looks like a sports crop top. The little graph on the shock absorber tags always make me chuckle though; apparently as a GG/H cup, I should be wearing an impact level 4 when walking and doing light yoga!
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    HI there

Sarah

I second this.....I ONLY buy my bras from Bravissimo.....I'm a 30G and actually have one that is a size too big but it still works great!!! The only drawback, for me, to Bravissimo is they are in the UK and you have to pay customs and wait two weeks for orders to arrive......but that is only a small detail and doesn't stop me. I LOVE Bravissimo and recomend them to anyone!!!
  • beanie242
    beanie242 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm a 36 DD and what I have found to work best for me so far is the TaTa Tamer from Lululemon. It does exactly what the name implies, my girls do not move once i put it on.