Eating before 11 AM, after 10 PM

Options
Whenever I eat before 11 AM, I seem to get EXTREMELY hungry throughout the day. I mean, I know that it's because it boosts my metabolism and that should, ultimately, be a good thing, but I get TOO hungry. I can't eat a large breakfast because otherwise I get stomach pains, so I usually go with an apple and a cup of coffee. But if I eat that before 11 AM, I get ridiculously hungry throughout the day and end up going over my allotted calories for the day. I know I shouldn't skip breakfast, but I don't really have another option when put in this position. There are no physical side effects that I've experienced however. Also, eating after 10 PM always has that same effect - I just end up overeating and going way over my calories.

Anyone else have this issue? :frown:

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Why shouldn't you skip breakfast? I very rarely eat breakfast, my first meal is usually after 12 or 1 pm. When I do eat breakfast I'm hungry all day long, so I prefer to eat 2 bigger meals during the day. As long as you are eating at a deficit don't worry about the time you are eating. Do what works for you and what you will stick to.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If I eat a meal early, I do get hungry (around my scheduled times for a snack) but you can either eat a small snack, or something, or just push yourself to your next meal. Also eating something more filling for breakfast than certain items will hold you over longer.
    I do 1 day (usually with my big meal on saturday) I don't eat until dinner so I fast and usually I know I am hungry but don't get the real hunger feeling until I start cooking.
    Of course I don't believe in eating before/after/etc for times, cause your body doesn't have a watch to tell it when to process food.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I dont even get hungry until late afternoon. But if i force myself to eat early im hungry again before noon, and the rest of the day. For along time now, I have been skipping breakfast and even lunch. I eat a decent size dinner and a late night snack (all below what my body burns). That one large meal works very well for me, but there is alot of people that need to snack all day, I am not one of them.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I AGREE!!!!!!!! I get the same way! I find that if i dont eat breakfast and stretch it till later I am not that hungry.... I try every morning to eat something but now i reconsidering...Im going to follow this post... I try to eat small in the morning like yogurt or green monster but I get hungry about an hour later!
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem, too. If I had cereal before I left for work, I'd be starving 3 hours later. Never made it to lunch break.

Anyway, I do have breakfast before I leave but less sugary (weetabix instead of high-sugar muesli) and I don't take change with me, so i can't buy anything. I take a small lunch with me that I can look forward to.

But, if you don't feel like eating in the mornign, just don't! Make sure you get the right kind of calories and nutritients during the day though. On weekends when I sleep late I often skip breakfast and have a bigger dinner.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat before 11 AM, I seem to get EXTREMELY hungry throughout the day. I mean, I know that it's because it boosts my metabolism and that should, ultimately, be a good thing, but I get TOO hungry. I can't eat a large breakfast because otherwise I get stomach pains, so I usually go with an apple and a cup of coffee. But if I eat that before 11 AM, I get ridiculously hungry throughout the day and end up going over my allotted calories for the day.

Why not eat it at 11:05 then? Seriously though eat when you're hungry, just keep an eye on your calorie intake.
  • lingading
    lingading Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting down to breakfast right now. it's 1:08pm. My breakfast is 208 calories. I'll bring about 500 calories worth of food in my bag to eat while at work (i'm a nurse, so i bring a bunch of little things to grab as i'm running around). I'll get home around midnight with over 1000 calories left to eat. And I'll eat most of them. It's not the best for my body, but it works for me right now. I'm at a deficit, so I'm not worrying about it.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting 16/8, which means I only eat between the hours of 1pm and 9pm. I find that this eating window works well for me. And there are definate benefits to fasting. Look it up.
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that it slows down your metabolism or that it isn't good to have an empty stomach early in the day or w/e. But thanks guys! This has reassured me, haha.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Meal timing should be based on your personal schedule. Eat when you're hungry, and don't eat when/if it causes you a problem.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that it slows down your metabolism or that it isn't good to have an empty stomach early in the day or w/e. But thanks guys! This has reassured me, haha.

It's an old wives tale.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry...I eat every 2-3 hours! Actually, I'll MAKE myself eat every 2-3 hours even if I'm not hungry; I start within an hour upon awakening (a protein shake if I have time to make one; a cup of yogurt; an apple; a cup of mixed berries; an omelette; breakfast sausage, whatev) and don't stop until an hour before I go to bed.

Here's a typical day for me:

9:00 AM Breakfast
    11:30 AM AM Snack
    1:30 PM Lunch
    4:30 PM PM snack
    7:30 PM Dinner
    9:30 PM Eve snack or dessert

If you're hungry, eat more!!! Maybe look at the food options you're choosing - there are lots of lower calorie foods that you can eat to avoid going over your daily caloric allotment if that's your concern.