Am Depressed and want to eat mega tons of candy

Options
I tend to get depressed when I know when my visit with my daughter is going to be over. Today I am really depressed and really want to do nothing but push sugar into my system. Any suggestions how to keep on track?

Replies

• sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I've found that when I get depressed the one thing that helps is exercising. I know it's hard to make yourself do it when your down but it really does help. Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • mcin123
    Options
    I'm also a depression/stress eater and I've found that what helps me is to do something I enjoy that doesn't include eating. I volunteer at nursing homes - visiting, reading, fixing hair, just being their friend. I find that helping someone else feel better helps me to feel better.
  • sapphireeyze
    Options
    Hi there.....I understand exactly what you are going through. I always used to let my emotions control when I ate and also how much I ate. One thing I finally got into my brain is that "Food" is not my friend and it cant comfort me the way a human can...:) Its satisfaction is very temporary and leaves me emptier than what I was before because what I craved wasn't food. I was craving attention from another human.

So instead of eating to satisfy that basic human need......go and exercise with your daughter and spend quality time with her. Enjoy the moment as much as you can because that will continue to fuel your desire to keep on your journey to losing weight!

Leslie
  • moonport
    moonport Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Looks like we have about the same amount of weight to lose according to your ticker. I'm kind of in that depression mode as well. So, I woke up this smorning and forced myself to the gym and worked out really hard. Tonight I'm going out to eat with my friends with zero guilt and then to a show. Maybe you just need to combine a little hard work with a reward. It always helps me.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I've found that when I get depressed the one thing that helps is exercising. I know it's hard to make yourself do it when your down but it really does help. Hang in there! :flowerforyou:

Absolutely! Was my very first thought. Exercise sends chemicals to the brain as I understand and further it is a feeling of accomplishment. That's always good.
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Echoing everything everyone is saying. Yesterday I was in a real funk, then went for a good walk, and now I am completely over the funk. Hang in there, I know it hurts when our kids aren't in our reach anymore, my daughter lives 4 hours away, and I hate when she goes back after a visit.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I feel for ya girl! :flowerforyou:

Eating is such an easy reach for so-called satisfaction. Been there many times!
    But it really doesn't work.... we end up feeling worse in many ways..... :grumble: :noway:

Get up & MOVE! Exercise, turn on the music & DANCE! Do a hobby you enjoy.
    Drink lots of water, sip on herbal tea with some honey may help the sweet tooth.

Best of luck! Hang in there baby! :drinker: :love:
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Exercise definately helps. But, if you are like me some food is going to go in. Make it good food. I found fresh pineapple is low calorie, filling, and really makes me feel like I had something sweet. Seriously you can eat a lot of it and not undue a diet. Another help is when you just have to have something try one of those smoothies that McDonalds has. It's mostly not so bad, you will think it is delicious, and you will have gone and got something to pamper yourself that isn't as bad as alternatives.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    exercise
    eat sugar free candy instead
    take cinnamon capsules to regulate blood sugar

or not, most people don't take advice around here anyway.
  • Nano911
    Nano911 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you have candy to eat... put it away!!! When your daughter leaves today have her take it with her. Everyone gets depressed sometimes, but depression can be serious. It sounds like you really have strong feelings about the arrangement with your daughter. Dont let yourself think that you are alone in those feelings. Make sure you can talk them out and work through everything that is on your mind. Maybe you should consider some therapy, there is nothing to be ashamed of in getting support. Take action....just taking any steps twards feeling better will help you because you will know you are doing something. This too will pass.
  • cappleg8
    cappleg8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have no candy in the house! Don't keep it around because I normally don't eat it. Can't exercise outside - am highly allergic to the sun. Can't do much exercising in the house, besides being small apartment, I have a knee that collapses when it wants. Daughter was gone from 9 until 1:30 ( then we have 1/2 drive each way). then she has a meeting to go to at 6 so we leave here at 5:30, I wait until she is done, then she has a dance to go to. I won't see her again until 5th of November. I had a dreyer's sugar free fruit bar and when i drive with her, she talks and i don't feel so sad until i drop her off at the dance. then i will cry as i do every time i have her and had her sisters. I have water freezing (so good cold!) and will not allow myself to go buy the bags of candy. maybe i'll have another fruit bar. I will walk my dog later. He keeps me from getting too depressed. Thank you for all of ;your suggestions!
  • Texangrrl
    Options
    you can always do some crunches. i hope you feel better soon, do you like to read? you can always get a good book to read too, i find that helps me when im feeling down, the book helps me block out my own thoughts for a while, gives me a break from myself. lol.

what about making a scrapbook of your childrens pictures? i like doing that too. recalling all the happy memories of the pictures.