3 months, ZERO PROGRESS

Options

Replies

• aimeejolene
    Options

Everyone has a different opinion on what "eating clean" means and I am taking that part with a grain of salt, since I did give it a try and it didn't work out. Your advice is definitely what's staying with me in this thread.

Thank you. Your post about being disappointed but not giving up says to me that you've got the right attitude and that you'll get this. If you have any questions as you go, the Eat, Train, Progress group is a great one for asking questions. The users who run the group are knowledgeable and helpful and there is less back and forth than you get in the main discussion forums. I've never regretted asking a question in that group.

I just went and joined :)
  • carol5047
    carol5047 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Overestimating cals burned and eating crap such as special k.

Clean your food up and ditch 80% of the processed crap until your cheat meal.

Go for a 1 hour walk every day upon waking fasted if possible, Go lift some weights 3 times a week in a gym or at home or anywhere. If it can be lifted then lift it. Get more active is my point.

Eating clean is not expensive. A good butchers will sell you 10kg Chicken breast with a good discount on, Eggs as well can be cheap if you source them correctly.
    broccoli here in the UK is like £1 a bag frozen I chuck around 200g frozen in 2-3 meals a day, Cooked it weighs around 150g and is only 47 cals. 150g broccoli is a lot but look how cheap it is, slap it with chicken breast simple meal add 10z almond nuts for some good fats with your meal.

Protein:

Tuna or most any fish.
    Cottage cheese.
    Eggs (especially the whites).
    Chicken breast (boneless skinless).
    Turkey breast (boneless skinless).
    Lean beef.
    Low fat or no fat cheese.
    Low fat pork.
    Milk protein isolate.
    Whey protein.
    Soy protein.
    Essentially most any other source of protein so long as it is low in saturated fat and carbohydrates.

Good Carbohydrates:

Sweet potatoes.
    Oat meal, oat bran, oat bran cereal (i.e. cheerios).
    Bran cereal.
    Brown rice.
    Wheat bread (try to limit to 2 slices per day).
    Beans.
    Low fat popcorn (low fat butter spray makes this a delicacy).
    Fruits (limit to 2-3 servings per day).
    Malto dextrin (during workout).
    Dextrose (during workout)
    Vegetables.
    Stay away from refined grains and anything that says “enriched” or “high fructose corn syrup” on the label!

Healthy Fat:

Omega 3 capsules (i.e. fish oil capsules).
    Flax seed oil.
    Primrose oil.
    Borage oil.
    Olive oil.
    Nuts (limit to 1 serving per day), peanut butter (as long as it does not contain hydrogenated oils).
    Egg yolks.
    Fish (salmon especially).
    All other fat should come as a by-product of your carbohydrate and protein intake.

Great Advise!!!:heart::heart: :smile:
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories???? say what????
    1200 cal is the minimum intake to avoid starvation mode regardless of how many calories you burn. If you eat back all your exercise calories you will not lose weight. Net calories are the caloric intake minus execise calories I operate at an average calorie intake of 1500-1600 per day minus about 800-900 cal that i burn curing cardio and weight training each day therefore my net calories are 600 and 700 per day I am losing around 2-3 lb per week because of this deficit.(My BMR is 1880 cal). I have lost 30 lb since the beginning of September.
    That would never happen if I ate back by exercise calories... you are giving bad advice... please stop.

SMH.. Obviously you are new ... I would suggest HIGHLY actually reading and learning about things before advocating this..especially since what you are spouting is neither healthy, sustainable or within the rules of MFP.

Start reading here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=8
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?page=7
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    1200 cal is the minimum intake to avoid starvation mode regardless of how many calories you burn. If you eat back all your exercise calories you will not lose weight. Net calories are the caloric intake minus execise calories I operate at an average calorie intake of 1500-1600 per day minus about 800-900 cal that i burn curing cardio and weight training each day therefore my net calories are 600 and 700 per day I am losing around 2-3 lb per week because of this deficit.(My BMR is 1880 cal). I have lost 30 lb since the beginning of September.
    That would never happen if I ate back by exercise calories... you are giving bad advice... please stop.

normal_headdesk.jpg

spVrM.gif
  • carol5047
    carol5047 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. I try to go with things that are already measured or are easy to measure (a measuring cup is my friend), but maybe I am missing something. I am ok with going back to measuring. I just don't want this to consume my life.

Totally understood. What helps me avoid this is pre-logging. I figure out what I'm going to eat for the next day while I'm relaxing and watching tv at night. That way, I don't have to think about it at all other than to measure out the portions if I didn't pack it the night before. When I don't pre-log, I overeat or spend too much time playing mental math. (Does your husband follow recipes when he cooks?)

He does. I try to find something we can both eat for us to cook, but occasionally we eat seperate. I try not to eat at all after dinner because I found that is when I want the bad stuff! Typically, I buy all my food for the week at one time and prep it on Sunday morning so all I have to do is grab it and go.

Are you taking time to enjoy the food that you are eating? Also eating slow, drinking water before you eat (helps will fullness feeling) And remember most of all to enjoy the foods that you are choosing to eat, because eating healthy is a way of life, not just for dieting purposes. If you don't change your habits for the long haul you will gain back everything that you lose. Ps, try to cut down on your cheat days maybe one every other week, you can still go out with your companion and enjoy ordering healty foods. You might even find a new way to prepare chicken, fish or pork when you eat at home. (Speaking from my heart!)
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of observations:

1. 300 calories in half an hour is a LOT. I know you are just taking the reading from the HRM but it leaves me wondering just how accurate that is. What are you doing for cardio? Is your HRM set to your stats? Or does it work with "averages"? I would be leery of eating back that many exercise calories just in case the HRM is over-estimating.

2. You need to log the cheat meal. I joined MFP in early February 2011, right before Valentine's Day. Hubby and I were planning on going to Outback for dinner so I went into the MFP database to pre-log the meal. Bloomin' Onion, salad, small steak, baked potato and dessert. To my shock the meal contained about more than 3 days worth of calories and fat. The bloomin onion (which we were only getting because it was part of the Valentine's Day Special) had almost 2000 calories. I had the sudden realization that eating even one meal out per week could totally eliminate my deficit for the week. Luckily, eating out is something we do less than once per month and I learned to navigate restaurant menus for healthier options, exercised portion control, etc. So, you need to log the cheat meal to see if it is un-doing your deficit for the week.

3. Go for a complete physical, get some baseline blood levels on your thyroid.

4. Don't give up :) You will eventually get this figured out!
  • aimeejolene
    Options
    I have a couple of observations:

1. 300 calories in half an hour is a LOT. I know you are just taking the reading from the HRM but it leaves me wondering just how accurate that is. What are you doing for cardio? Is your HRM set to your stats? Or does it work with "averages"? I would be leery of eating back that many exercise calories just in case the HRM is over-estimating.

2. You need to log the cheat meal. I joined MFP in early February 2011, right before Valentine's Day. Hubby and I were planning on going to Outback for dinner so I went into the MFP database to pre-log the meal. Bloomin' Onion, salad, small steak, baked potato and dessert. To my shock the meal contained about more than 3 days worth of calories and fat. The bloomin onion (which we were only getting because it was part of the Valentine's Day Special) had almost 2000 calories. I had the sudden realization that eating even one meal out per week could totally eliminate my deficit for the week. Luckily, eating out is something we do less than once per month and I learned to navigate restaurant menus for healthier options, exercised portion control, etc. So, you need to log the cheat meal to see if it is un-doing your deficit for the week.

3. Go for a complete physical, get some baseline blood levels on your thyroid.

4. Don't give up :) You will eventually get this figured out!

Isn't it horrifying to know how many calories are in things like the Bloomin' Onion? I have done this at every place I have eaten at since I started. I won't even go to a place that doesn't have something I can eat. Eating out is no longer fun lol. And thank you!
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    After reading your post it sounds like you have a good grasp of the concept and you have given it enough time to see some changes so it comes down to either you are eating more than you think or you are burning less than you think and are eating back calories you didn't burn in the first place. Weigh everything you eat and stop eating back exercise calories for a little while and see what happens. There is a flaw in the math somewhere. Good luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I think my thread has proved that it DOESN'T work the same for everyone.

Calories in <calories out does work period
    She was helping you. She told you the exact problem. You seem to take it as belittling because it is not the advice you want to hear. If you are truly at a calorie deficit than you will lose weight. If you are not than you will not. If somehow your body has figured out a way around simple physics than congrats because you have just solved all of the worlds energy problems. You are going to be a zillionaire! Remember us small folks once you get your fist payday.

No, actually, she was trying to make me feel like I was doing it wrong and stupid because of it. But thanks, and I'll be sure to NOT share any of my winnings with you.

And no offense but you are doing it wong by not logging and using a scale for your food....are you stupid because of it...no I didn't say that...what I did do however was not give you BS information or sugar coat it either.
    I don't weigh anymore, I've gotten pretty good at knowing by looking since I was weighing at the beginning. I thought that might be my problem, that I was underestimating portion sizes, but I really don't. I tend to be generous with protein since it keeps me happier and full, but I don't eat a whole steak or anything.

I rest my case...

Even based on the day you "published" from your diary the Ricotta unless it was a "Healthy Choice" meal has 500 calories for a 314g Serving and even the Healthy choice one has 260...not 244.

You might not like my delivery but it is the way it is...if you want to lose weight you will do what you need to do which is log every day, including cheat meals, and use your kitchen food scale not a measuring cup...
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    It is confusing look up starvation mode. If you are undereating, your body thinks you are starving. Your net calories on MFP should be your goal. Example: this morning I started off with 1410 calories. OK I walked and burned 262, I had breakfast and water. My NET intake is 78 calories. I have 1332 remaining for the day. My breakfast was 320 calories but after walking, my net is only 78. If I eat my 1410 and stop, I will be under that by 262 calories. You need at least a net of 1200 per day net and when I am closer to 1300 net, it falls off. Good luck.

NO

Starvation mode is thrown around on these forums like crazy, but it's used incorrectly 99% of the time. Starvation mode is what your body enters into after 2 to 3 days of NO food. If you are truly eating at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

OP, I hear your frustration. For me, it was overestimating my calorie burns and under estimating my food intake that kept me from losing. But hey, think of all the fitness gains you have achieved! That alone is worth a great deal. Best of luck, and you've gotten lots of good advice here. :drinker:
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Bluntly, this sounds like a bunch of half-truths. If you were logging 3 months ago, and then fell off the wagon, you would have made your diary public by now so we could see it. Your refusal to publish it tells me you are lying to us, and lying to yourself about what you eat.

Be honest with yourself, make your diary public, measure everything you eat with a scale, and then start a new thread in a month.
  • aimeejolene
    Options
    Bluntly, this sounds like a bunch of half-truths. If you were logging 3 months ago, and then fell off the wagon, you would have made your diary public by now so we could see it. Your refusal to publish it tells me you are lying to us, and lying to yourself about what you eat.

Be honest with yourself, make your diary public, measure everything you eat with a scale, and then start a new thread in a month.

Actually, I just don't want a bunch MORE judgemental posts now that I have figured out how to change my privacy settings. Thanks.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Reading through the posts while I eat my lunch and I noticed:

You're still claiming the calories on the HRM are correct but as mentioned before a HRM is not accurate for lifting. Cardio yes, lifting no. There are too many rests and lifting doesn't raise you HR enough to make it accurate. 300 calories burned in a half hour is equivalent to full out running for that whole time. Either your HRM is set up wrong or you're using it for activities it isn't meant for.

You say your BMR is 1330 but from my calculations it's closer to 1700. Maybe check that all your calculations are correct. That said eating at 1500 should still have resulted in weight loss. The dreaded starvation mode has not kicked in.

You really need to weigh and measure everything and log everything, including the cheat meal. If you aren't eating at a large deficit it's easy to wipe that out with a big meal and little bits over every day.

You don't need to eat clean, you need to eat at a deficit. You can eat the same foods your family does as long as you stay in your budget. I eat crap a lot of the time and maintain no problem because I know exactly how much crap I can and do eat. You may be healthier living on organic bean sprouts but it won't affect your weight loss unless you maintain a deficit.

This isn't a weight loss plan, it's a lifestyle change. You don't lose the weight then go back to old habits. You'll always need to be conscious of your food choices or you'll put the weight back on. Make new good habits instead of going on a diet. Read everything you can on BMR, TDEE, NEAT, EAT, etc so you understand how it all works.
  • aimeejolene
    Options
    It is confusing look up starvation mode. If you are undereating, your body thinks you are starving. Your net calories on MFP should be your goal. Example: this morning I started off with 1410 calories. OK I walked and burned 262, I had breakfast and water. My NET intake is 78 calories. I have 1332 remaining for the day. My breakfast was 320 calories but after walking, my net is only 78. If I eat my 1410 and stop, I will be under that by 262 calories. You need at least a net of 1200 per day net and when I am closer to 1300 net, it falls off. Good luck.

NO

Starvation mode is thrown around on these forums like crazy, but it's used incorrectly 99% of the time. Starvation mode is what your body enters into after 2 to 3 days of NO food. If you are truly eating at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

OP, I hear your frustration. For me, it was overestimating my calorie burns and under estimating my food intake that kept me from losing. But hey, think of all the fitness gains you have achieved! That alone is worth a great deal. Best of luck, and you've gotten lots of good advice here. :drinker:

Thank you! Starvation mode actually shows up on MFP if I eat under 1200 a day, which actually happened when I first started and I was eating super clean, because I had no idea how to get what I needed in a day. It was awful. I was so cranky.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options

Actually, I just don't want a bunch MORE judgemental posts now that I have figured out how to change my privacy settings. Thanks.

You asked for advice. Judgement happens when you do that, because people are scrutinizing what you say to form an answer.

As for my observations, I find that at no point have you ever said you made your food diary public, and you continually evade the topic.

That isn't judgement; it is fact.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I would really appreciate some help, guys. Please read the whole thing first, if you have the time.

I have been on my healthy journey for three months now. I work out at least 5 days a week (sometimes more), lifting weights and doing cardio. I have a calorie tracker similar to the Polar watches that lets me know I am burning at least 300 calories in a half hour.

I eat healthy. I started off clean, but that is ridiculously expensive and time-consuming, so now I do allow some processed food in my diet that is low calorie, low sodium, high protein. I intake 1500 calories currently, over 100 ounces of water a day. Very little sugar, one cheat meal a week. Really, I am doing all the right things here, and I have researched this daily since I began to make sure I was doing what I needed to.

I HAVE ZERO CHANGE. My clothes fit the same, the scale flucuates in a 4-5 pound range and is never, ever consistent.

To say I am disappointed would be an understatement. I don't know what else to do here.

My first suggestion is to REALLY get your numbers in line. At first blush I bet you are not eating enough. You say you intake 1500 but burn 300 in exercise... that's a 1200 net. Say your TDEE is 3000/day. Then your -1000 calories intake should be 2000/day after exercise. See where this is going?

Get a reliable scale and only weigh yourself once per week. Your water weight can go up/down 3-5 pounds daily.

My example, my TDEE with CrossFit is about 3800-4200 calories in a 24 hour period. Yes, that's a lot. So to eat correctly I must consume 2800-3200 calories per day. Yes, that's a lot. When I don't my weigh loss slows down.

How is cooking fresh, clean food expensive? You can get raw fresh veggies for a lot less than processed foods. if comes in a plastic bag or box, trust me it ain't low sodium...
  • dawnascheda
    Options
    right there with ya, I just don't understand
    it is so frustrating for me. I started using myfitnesspal 4 days ago but I have been following a 1200 calorie a day diet and excerising every day for 3 weeks. I have lost 0 pounds and 0 inches. whats the point of starving and trying so hard if the weigh isn't going to come off. feeling defeated :(
  • aimeejolene
    Options
    Reading through the posts while I eat my lunch and I noticed:

You're still claiming the calories on the HRM are correct but as mentioned before a HRM is not accurate for lifting. Cardio yes, lifting no. There are too many rests and lifting doesn't raise you HR enough to make it accurate. 300 calories burned in a half hour is equivalent to full out running for that whole time. Either your HRM is set up wrong or you're using it for activities it isn't meant for.

You say your BMR is 1330 but from my calculations it's closer to 1700. Maybe check that all your calculations are correct. That said eating at 1500 should still have resulted in weight loss. The dreaded starvation mode has not kicked in.

You really need to weigh and measure everything and log everything, including the cheat meal. If you aren't eating at a large deficit it's easy to wipe that out with a big meal and little bits over every day.

You don't need to eat clean, you need to eat at a deficit. You can eat the same foods your family does as long as you stay in your budget. I eat crap a lot of the time and maintain no problem because I know exactly how much crap I can and do eat. You may be healthier living on organic bean sprouts but it won't affect your weight loss unless you maintain a deficit.

This isn't a weight loss plan, it's a lifestyle change. You don't lose the weight then go back to old habits. You'll always need to be conscious of your food choices or you'll put the weight back on. Make new good habits instead of going on a diet. Read everything you can on BMR, TDEE, NEAT, EAT, etc so you understand how it all works.

Oh I don't know if my HMR is wrong, I just know what it is all I have to go by. I have no other way of knowing how many calories I burn when I work out. I took a photo of my HMR a couple weeks ago for Instagram - I did 34 minutes, burned 346 calories doing a MIX of cardio and weights. Everyone keeps thinking I am just doing weights. I swear I did not say that anywhere.

And I didn't go back and look at my post, but I know my BMR is not 1333 - my Scooby suggested calorie intake is. My BMR is like 1659.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Starvation mode actually shows up on MFP if I eat under 1200 a day, which actually happened when I first started and I was eating super clean, because I had no idea how to get what I needed in a day. It was awful. I was so cranky.

That's not starvation mode. If you're not losing weight, you're not in starvation mode.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Wow, talk about bad advice!! MFP is built on the premise that you eat back your exercise calories. The 1200 calorie lower limit may be a bit arbitrary, but it is absolutely unsafe to live on a net of 600 to 700 calories a day unless under a doctor's supervision. That is eating disorder territory.