Zumba vs. Hip Hop Abs

Options
Ok friends, Im interested in adding something new to my workout regime..soooo outta the two...was curious which one was better? burned more calories, etc??? let me hear your opinions...thanks :happy:

Replies

• CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about personal preference - do you prefer latin or hip hop "dancing"?
    Everyone's different with regards to calorie burn as it's based on height/weight/sex/current phyiscal condition.
    Therefore, it's makes for a pretty lousy baseline.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    They're both pretty fun, but I burn more with my Zumba DVD than with the Hip Hop Abs. (respecting that everybody's calorie burn is diff, that's a good side-by-side comparison.)

They are both good as far as production levels go (good movement cues, instructors are adorable and high energy).

The cool thing about the Zumba DVDs is that they'd prepare you to try a live class (which is about 500x more fun.):tongue:

HTH.
  • lulurai
    Options
    I've Shaun T Insanity (HipHop Abs guy) and that's pretty hard core.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I actually just ordered both :)

I love hip hop dancing and pretty much do it on my own anyways for cardio so i figured i'd give that a try but wanted something to mix it up with to lessen the chance of getting bored so i bought zumba dvds as well!! it's all preference. What you get out of a workout really depends on what you put into it. You could do the basic moves and burn yay many calories, or you could put a little more into each step (which would work your body harder) and burn more. It all depends on YOU and what YOU are willing to put into your workout !!!!

i think either would be fun but i'll let you know more shortly :)

add if you'd like & we can talk about them together?
  • veronicann
    veronicann Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been going to Zumba classes now for a few months, just love them, trust me you sweat..... and it's so much fun if you like to dance.
    I also have the DVD tapes and when I can't get to the gym I put one on and I way I go....
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    I have taken the live Zumba clasess and they are a major workout. It is so fun, though, so it doesn't feel as cumbersome as other workouts. I'm sure Hip Hop abs would be just as fun though. Just different music and different genres of dancing. Good luck!
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    I've taken one Zumba class about a year ago when my gym decided to put it on the schedule. I've done several Hip Hop classes through the years, and I would say that both are great workouts as long as you're working the major muscle groups.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your taste in music....I know that sounds weird, but I didn't care for hip hop abs as much, and I just started zumba, but already know that I like it.
  • eggersbm
    Options
    I think you burn more calories with Zumba but it is also a lot harder to keep up with than Hip-Hop Abs. I have had the DVD'S for several weeks and still haven't gotten the routines down yet enough to get through an entire workout.
  • TaraDenise
    TaraDenise Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried Zumba, but I plan to because I've heard good things about it. I didn't really care for hip hop abs. I just couldn't get into it like I thought I would. Someone gave it to me, and now I've given it to someone else.