Question about lifting heavy

Options
I started my weight loss journey doing mostly cardio. My body has definitely shrunk down a lot, but I know that in order to get to the point that I really want, I need to start lifting heavy. Here is my problem. I can't afford a gym membership (none of the $10 per month have daycare). So going to the gym and using weights is not an option for me at this point.

In the past I have done 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30, and I am currently half way through Insanity.

Here is my question:

What can I do at home? I have 5 lb and 8 lb dumb bells but those aren't considered heavy. I can't go buy my own home gym or more weights, so do I have any options? Or is the only way to lift heavy to get to a gym?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If you only have 5 and 8 pound weights then yes, you will only be able to lift heavy at the gym. Look up body weight exercises though - lots of great ones out there on the internet and youtube for free.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    if its a matter of affordability, you can build up your own weights at home just getting the plates you need gradually - this is what i done .
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    This has been covered. Search topics like "bodyweight exercises" and "lifting at home"

MFPsearch.jpg
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    time to master your bodyweight.
  • bobbi_jo2
    bobbi_jo2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure if bodyweight exercises were considered "lifting heavy". Thanks for clearing that up.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    This has been covered. Search topics like "bodyweight exercises" and "lifting at home"

MFPsearch.jpg

Congrats- you managed to be semi-helpful and a total d!ck at the same time. :yawn:

I'm sure your nice little Photoshop JPEG will come in handy while you scan the message boards continuously for uneducated people to make fun of.

He did the same thing on 2 other threads, all in the span of 5 minutes. And the winner of schmuck of the day goes to......

And to follow up Yoovie, yes bodyweight can be heavy resistance, it's all about using leverage to make an exercise harder. You are your own gym (book and app) is a great resource for this.
  • sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options
    You can always look on craigslist, people sell weight sets all the time. In the meantime, do what you can with what you have. I take my son to the park and do chinups and box jumps on the playground while im chasing him around.
    Bodyweight exercises are a great way to build strength!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

MFPsearch.jpg

Congrats- you managed to be semi-helpful and a total d!ck at the same time. :yawn:

I'm sure your nice little Photoshop JPEG will come in handy while you scan the message boards continuously for uneducated people to make fun of.

opposed to your post which was COMPLETELY unhelpful?

how does that make you any better than his- condescending- but helpful post?

OP to answer your question- you CAN progressively load with body weights- it's hard. Master the basics- squat, pull up, push ups- handstand stuff

that's the basis- you can learn harder variations to increase strength- check out strengthunbound.com or unbounded.. guy is on here and on another one of my forums- very good at advancing body weight exercises. There are TONS of variations avaialable- you do not NEED a gym- it's just a little more work because you have to search out progressive variations.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    EDIT: Oh, you said you "can't" buy your own gym... well, then get working on bodyweight stuff. At least for the first year, it should be enough for you.

So it's going to cost you a some money (though relative to a gym membership it pays off), but you're in luck, I found a great article about this exact thing today on Lifehacker. I think this guy was able to do it for under $500, though to be fair he built a fair amount of the equipment himself.

Bottomline though, you just need a barbell, some plates, and a squat rack. That's IT. Once you have some time under your belt with those, you can start looking into other stuff if you even see the need (because most other things are unnecessary, except for maybe some dumbbells once you've built up your strength).

How to Build a Garage Gym
    http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/10/04/garage-gym/

Good article with great ideas and the right concepts regarding what's really important if you decide to do it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Keep your eyes peeled for yard sales and such. I found a bench and weights for $20. Before that, I was only doing push-ups and squats.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    A progressive bodyweight program is a good start. You could probably score Craig's List or store deals or go to a used equipment place and get a decent price on a bench, bar and rack. I'd also look into getting resistance bands. You can get some fairly heavy ones for fairly cheap and modify most lifts to work with bands.
  • yoovie
    Options
    I wasn't sure if bodyweight exercises were considered "lifting heavy". Thanks for clearing that up.

Im super serious! Ask ANYONE eyebrow deep in a heavy lifting program.

how much do you weigh?

Can you do pullups?

How about chinups, pushups and dips?

Bodyweight is used for warming up for lifting (or else you go into your session with cold brittle unlubricated joints!! EEEK!!), and for active rest days and combined with the major four lifts as accessory work. You think your Bench and OHP dont benefit from being able to deal out standard pushups in sets of 20? You think that bodyweight squats and pistol squats and mountain climbers arent going to help stabilize you when you try to squat big girl plates?

Every source I have ever found about starting weight training seriously encourages people to get comfortable with their bodyweight work FIRST and move into weights.

Since you said you didnt have a gym right now, this is perfect timing.
  • yoovie
    Options

MFPsearch.jpg

He did the same thing on 2 other threads, all in the span of 5 minutes. And the winner of schmuck of the day goes to......

And to follow up Yoovie, yes bodyweight can be heavy resistance, it's all about using leverage to make an exercise harder. You are your own gym (book and app) is a great resource for this.

no way really??? i knew i must have suggested this for some crazy *kitten* reason
  • JoRocka
    Options
    the sarcasm is strong with this one ;)
  • yoovie
    Options
    the sarcasm is strong with this one ;)

dont talk to me. im not sure about you yet. -_-
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

It certainly can be. "heavy" is relative to your strength/ability. For most people, walking up stairs isn't heavy as they do that every day. For parents of small children, bending over a picking up something that weighs 25lbs isn't heavy because they do that all the time.

So it's really all about challenging yourself. If you struggle with "girlie" pushups, then they are probably fine. If you don't, then do regular ones. If bending over and picking up 2 gallons of water is hard, then do that. If it's not, find something heavier. If squatting with just yoru body weight is easy, try it on 1 leg.

There are zillions of bodyweight exercises, you just have to find the ones that really challenge you.

On a side note, my previous post with the pic was supposed to be helpful and a bit of a poke at you... but it wasn't supposed to derail the thread - sorry.

• JoRocka
    Options
    dont talk to me. im not sure about you yet. -_-

LOL
    I'm not even sure about me yet so I could understand the hesitation.
  • bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Lucille Roberts nearby? I pay 10 a month and they have daycare
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    keep checking craigslist, kijiji and freecycle in your area - you'd be amazed at how some people just want to get rid of weight sets sometimes (especially around month end moving time). i've seen perfectly good free ones, but never been quick enough, so i ended up buying a bench and weights for $60. that should keep me going for a couple of months, in the meantime i just keep looking for more used weight plates.