Do you dread eating out now?

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I hate eating out. They seem to do their best to give you the grossest food, in the hugest portions, filled with as many calories and salt as possible, at moderate prices.

It's not worth it.

Couldn't have said it better myself. For the most part, I don't find restaurant food to be worth the money or the calories (although I'm off to New Orleans tomorrow, and the food there IS worth it).

So you basically contradicted yourself in one statement...... Seems legit.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't dread eating out if I know that I'm definitely staying within my calorie goal for the day, but if I'm eating out and it may end up being a "cheat" day because of eating out, then I become more hesitant and therefore regretful after as well.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Nope. I love eating. And I love eating out.

:smokin:
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I do not dread it but do not look forward to it as much as I used to. Mostly because the lack of good restaurants where I live and part is me thinking is the food really worth the calorie hit. We like to cook and try new recipes all the time so home is not so bad. When we do eat out, we tend to like the non chains better and I usually get what I want. Sunday is the only day I do not do a work out and if I can plan ahead I save up some calories throughout the week.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I hate eating out.
    I don't dread eating out

nothing valuable to add, just amusing myself
  • ammurph729
    ammurph729 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily "dread," but yes, eating out can be a little scary. I like using http://www.healthydiningfinder.com/home.aspx when I get to pick where we go, so I can plan ahead and find the healthiest options before we leave :)
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I don't really dread it... I am still intimidated by it and I find it very easy for me to give in to impulse when I go out. But nothing like I used to do!!
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Anyhow, I think I am crazy - any other self-admitted crazies out there? Sigh....It is fine in maintenance, but I am on such a good momentum and have found the formula that is working for me I hate messing with the balance.

I know - I sound insane.:frown:

I have issues going out to eat not even considering calorie count so adding that to the list has on occasion stressed me out. The last time I can think of I was served corn as a vegetable and I kind of flipped a little more than necessary. It wasn't intentional and not something I would have ordinarily done it just was the last straw that made everything crash down that day. I try hard to just make delicious choices and fit them into my week as much as possible and not eat out so often.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Nope. Personally I eat out about 4 times a week and include fast food with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    To me, it's not worth it to pay $11 for grilled chicken and broccoli, which is the majority of what you'll find on the "low calorie" menu at chain restaurants. If I go out to eat, I'm going to EAT. I go out once a month with my boyfriend or my mom, and that's enough for me. It probably helps that I'm on a tight budget, but I just don't go out with people if the main attraction is going to a restaurant because I don't think it's worth it.
  • andresconejo
    Options
    I can feel you, OP.
    I go out for dinner like 2 times/week and i try to choose restaurants with nutritional menus and check them in advance, so i don´t make the people that goes with me uncomfortable... Of course i also have to do some estimates cause i go to a lot of local restaurants in my country
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I eat out a lot. Chipotle knows my lunch order without me having to say a word. Definitely don't dread it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I like to eat out.

Sometimes I order a beer and a yummy salad with chicken in it. Or I order another meal that has more calories and drink water or tea. If there's room I get the beer and a burger. I fit it into my calories if I can. Or, if I don't know the calories, I just order a yummy sandwich (or whatever) and enjoy my meal. Or I eat pizza and log pizza in my food diary. I also like breakfast food (eggs). I also like vegetables.
  • tataylllor
    tataylllor Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I can admit to this... Though I worry less bout the calories and more about trans fats, sodium /sugar amounts, or any other excessive fats or carbs... I always do the menu thing!! Personally, I wish every restaurant had a nutritional value index.. it would make a lot of things easier for me if every restaurant had one haha!

That being said: Dont be afraid to eat treats sometimes or cheat! When I go out I pay attention to the meal itself and for dessert i eat anything really (mind you I am not a chocolate person but I love cakes-- vanilla or anything like that especially!)! Glad to know I am not alone on this though!
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    nope, I do not dread it. I look forward to the occasional treat and I ALWAYS choose a good restaurant that I KNOW will have good tasting, healthy options. If I've not been there before I look up the menu to ensure there is grilled/broiled fish, chicken and lots of non-fried veggies. I always order a salad first, even if I split with the hubby (dressing on the side PLZ) and I always set aside half of what is on the plate because we all know those servings sizes are totally whacked. If I'm tempted to pick at the other half, I hand it to the waiter to be boxed up.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I never dread it. I plan ahead, eat half and take the rest home for the next day.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Dread it? NEVER! I love it! :love:

If it's a chain with nutritional info - great, I often check the menu online before we go and pick a couple of options, and then log it.

It's a local place with no nutritional info - no problem. The food is generally way better than the chains anyway, and I use the SWAG method (Scientific Wild *kitten* Guessing :wink: :laugh: ) to log it - find the closest match in the database and just go with it. One night ain't gonna mess me up. Sometimes I'll even just quick add the calories I have left for the day and call it good, although that's rare, because I like to get a better idea of the macros.

:drinker:

I agree, but I didn't know that my method had a name (SWAG??).

Most of the restaurants that my husband and I eat at don't have the nutritional values listed anywhere (we don't do fast food); but most of them do have menus on lines and that can be very helpful to plan ahead of time.

We like to eat out and we do it 2 to 3 times a week, at the most; for me, it means no telephone ringing at the wrong time, no cooking, no kitchen cleaning, somebody cooking a more sophisticate dish and better than me, and a nice treat to have. But we don’t have desert unless there is a special celebration.

There is nothing to fear about eating out once you have been counting calories and macros for awhile. But it can be a little bit worrisome if somebody is new in the journey or for those people that have self control problem.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Most days I pack my lunch, and so does everyone I work with. On days when I forget, I dread going out because the lunch choices are too expensive and too calorie-laden for my taste. Sometimes I get a salad, but a salad takes much longer to eat than a sandwich, and often I do not have the time to spare. On Fridays though... we often go out as a group, and I totally don't worry about it. I make a reasonable choice, like 2 sushi rolls and a salad with ginger dressing, and enjoy the time with my coworkers.

Dinner is a different story. I am on 1700 calories a day, so it is not too hard to save 900-1000 calories for dinner (unless of course it is Friday and I used that many at lunch!). I avoid fried foods and pasta at restaurants, as I always regret it later. I usually stick to a protein portion, a starch, and a vegetable; like a turkey burger (on a bun), skip the fries, get side salad instead; or seared grouper, mashed potatoes, and green beans.

For special occasions, I will work in some drinks and a dessert, and as long as I stay within 300 calories of my goal I am content.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I just go to a few places that I can get their nutrient information on. I mark everything I eat pretty closely. Panera is a fav. Certain mexican places are good. I, sadly, avoid TGI Fridays and Zaxbys. Most meals there are 1000 to 1500 calories from the get go.
    One just has to watch it.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yup...it is hard to enjoy anything out...