New change with leaner body?

When I was young and skinny, I could often skip meals and not be that ravenous. As I got older, and heavier, I found I could push back meals for a few hours without feeling that hungry, although my stomach could get really, really empty and crampy.

When I was on a calorie deficit when losing, though, I needed to eat regularly at meals. It was like when I was pregnant - my body really let me know it NEEDED food. I simply did not skip meals.

I've been in maintenance since May now and I suddenly realized I can skip meals again. I'm thinner than ever, but seem to have enough reserves around that I can skip a meal without really noticing. I pretty much always make up the calories by the end of the day, but no low blood sugar crash.

Anyone else notice this? Am I finally getting back to my younger, more efficient self?

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Your stomach may have shrunk a bit over time. If you're used to over-eating, you stretch your stomach. If you're used to eating less, your stomach is actually a bit smaller and it takes less to fill you up.

A good example is if someone has had a stomach bug and has not been able to eat properly for a week or so. When they start feeling better, they may notice they get full quicker because their body has already become accustomed to eating less.

It also has to do with hormones, etc. Some days I just don't feel hungry. Other days I want to eat all the things. I think how we're feeling physically and emotionally plays a part.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Feelings of hunger tend to be hormone related and not necessarily an indicator of actual hunger or satiety. And definitely not an indicator of fitness.

Look up "ghrelin"
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    ^what do a bunch of wrinkly green guys who don't eat after midnight know about hunger?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I know what you're saying about stomach shrinkage. Definitely true - I eat way less at a sitting and feel gross if I eat as much as I used to. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about going 6 or 8 hours between eating normal size meals instead of needing to eat every 3-5 hours.

Have no idea why I'd have a change in ghrelin. I've been on a calorie deficit for over 18 months and may still be a small deficit.

I could see as more likely a reduction in insulin resistence, with resulting greater stability in blood sugar levels and better regulation of fat storage and metabolism.