Im no nutritionist but...uhh?

Options
13»

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

I would rather make sure that the staff is properly educated before they open their mouth
    exactly Could you offer to help teach the class perhaps?

The staff is probably expected to follow the USDA guidelines, and 6-11 servings of grains per day is the guideline. There are new 2015 guidelines, but I can't see what they are during the gov't shutdown. The USDA guidelines aren't perfect, but they're a heck of a lot better than most Americans are doing with their diets.....BUT, anyone who knows well enough to eat whole fruit rather than juice, can do at least one step better. I took a nutrition class, from an MD, and she followed the USDA guidelines too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to have 6 servings of pasta every day.

P.S. I'm a taxpayer, never had kids and never used WIC, and I consider it to be a good use of tax dollars, even with the imperfect guidelines that they use. Kids won't starve, go without fruits and vegetables, or be without protein, on the USDA guidelines
  • DrewMontoya
    DrewMontoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, WIC is not SNAP. The latter is the one that used to allow for black market surf and turf sales in the Walmart parking lot. WIC's mission is to ensure that low income families have enough food to thrive. WIC also have very strict food lists from which you can buy, listed by brand and name. To use the cold cereal example that was brought up earlier, the food list specifically lists Cheerios by General Mills as well as their Malt O' Meal counterpart.

It's a good program and as a single guy with no kids who has paid a s**t load of tax, I support it 100%.
  • velvet4899
    velvet4899 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, WIC is not SNAP. The latter is the one that used to allow for black market surf and turf sales in the Walmart parking lot. WIC's mission is to ensure that low income families have enough food to thrive. WIC also have very strict food lists from which you can buy, listed by brand and name. To use the cold cereal example that was brought up earlier, the food list specifically lists Cheerios by General Mills as well as their Malt O' Meal counterpart.

It's a good program and as a single guy with no kids who has paid a s**t load of tax, I support it 100%.
  • velvet4899
    velvet4899 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well said, I used it over 30 years ago, it did include orange juice, peanut butter, formula, milk, cheese, eggs and cereal. Its not SNAP or anything like it. Very strict on what you can purchase and a very good program. By the way, son's wife uses it and he's been in the military for 10 years so you can make a fair amount of income and still qualify.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    wow - boob milk is real milk.

op - that lady was a bit of a nutcase. would have loved to be there.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    All I got out of this was her comment about 4oz juice being equivalent to a can of soda. Um? No, a 4 oz serving of juice is not equivalent. Not even close. (I'm sure you know that, that lady seems very uneducated).

For example, you said they use Juicy Juice, well then:

4 oz Juicy Juice- 65 calories, 16g sugar
    Can of Pepsi- 150 calories, 41g sugar

In my opinion, kids don't need juice at all, the same way they don't need soda. They'd be better off drinking water and eating real fruit. I don't see why she said you were "wrong" when you said they didn't need it. Sounds like an annoying meeting, so just let it go and know that you're doing your best with the resources you have. It's a good thing you know better... because I'm sure a lot of people don't.