The Best Calorie Counter Watches

Options
rita27ny
rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
hi,

please advise on which is the best calorie reader. also do u think i should get the one with a chest trap?im a girl. im thinking of getting the nordicTrack CardioTrack Combo Heart Rate Monitor Watch. says it wrks with or without straps cost $190,

can u syggest other ones that are cheaper,effiient and i dont have to wear any strapp.

please lets me know. thnks in advance.

Replies

• nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 with the chest strap and it works perfect! I have read that if you don't have the chest strap that they are very inaccurate.... Anything made by Polar has great reviews =))
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    The watch ones are not nearly as accurate as the ones with chest straps. With most of the watch ones you have to either push a button or touch the face plate to get your heart rate. If it isn't getting a constant heart rate reading then it isn't a very good estimate. If you are going to spend the money I'd suggest getting one with a chest strap. You can get them pretty for not much more.

I have several friends on here that use the Sportline HRM that you can get for a reasonable price at Wal-Mart with a chest strap. The watch ones without a chest strap only use the heart rate from when you stop to check it. To get an accurate calorie count you need one that constantly reads you heart rate. If you are worried about the comfort of the strap (like I was) they really aren't even noticeable.

Personally I use a Garmin HRM with GPS since most of my exercise is hiking/walking/running outside.
  • cvgarcia89
    cvgarcia89 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am in the market for one as well
  • rita27ny
    Options
    my watched died for having it only 1 yr...
  • berlyable
    berlyable Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also in the market for a new calorie counting watch. I have a wrist heart rate/calorie watch but from what I have experienced it is very inaccurate. I shows that my calorie expenditure is way higher then it should be. Makes it extremely difficult to keep accurate records. I am looking at the Polar FT7 for women. It's not to expensive and has all the features that I think I need.
  • Surecutie
    Surecutie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have and love the polar ft40. Chest strap syncs with the machines at the gym, great memory, all around awesome..
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You want a chest strap! I started with a watch-only model and quickly grew frustrated with it. Having to pause during a workout to touch the face of the watch to get a heart reading was a drag, especially since it didn't always read right away, resulting in a longer pause and delays in my workouts. Should have saved that money and gone straight for the chest strap model.

I am broke, so after doing my homework here and on Amazon reviews, narrowed my choices down to either a Polar or a New Balance N4. Found auctions for new models of both in eBay, and the New Balance came up first - got it for $26, brand new in the box - works great. I put it on, hit start, workout begins and I don't even have to think about the HRM again until I hit stop when I'm done. Love it!
  • Sexy_Sangria
    Options
    So I'm looking at the different calorie counters out there and I'm honestly not sure what I'm looking for. i feel a little overwhelmed. I want something that is a watch too because I need one, but I don't understand the chest strap thing or the options. I've been reading what's on this thread and appreciate when people are putting their models in because it gives me a point in all the mess to look up...

I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive but have flex to make sure I get what I want...but I don't know what I want...I'd love to have a better idea of what I'm burning for calories in a day though. I think it would help me a lot
  • kpwilliams73089
    kpwilliams73089 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had searched and done research for a HRM. I ended up buying the Polar RS100. It is inexpensive, yet a great tool to help you get back to a healthy lifestyle. It has simple features and is easy to learn. It also learns with you. I would recommend it. I got it off of Amazon for nothing.
  • Sexy_Sangria
    Options
    Does it do HR only or a calorie burn count?
  • melinda189
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. got it off ebay for $60. i tried bidding on several for less price but the bids eventually got up to amounts higher than the $60 i paid. I love it.
  • Sexy_Sangria
    Options
    and I'm a ditz and actually searched it and found the features to answer my own question :P
  • mayragonzalezsaldana
    Options
    Hello all,

I have read all your comments about the best options. As some of you, I'm also struggling a lot to find the perfect one for my activity level, but I'm pretty new on this topic and there are too many options in the market. If I'm going to pay over 70 bucks I want to make sure that it tracks swimming, running and workout calories burns and that is worth to spend on it

I'm looking a calories counter that I can also use in the pool, I'm a swimmer, so I would like to count the calories that I'm burning, and also can counts laps. I will also use it for outside workouts and running, so it will also needs to track distance... haha I know that I want everything!!

Do you have any recomendation? I hope you can help me!! thanks a lot!

Mayra
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Anything you wear is just providing an estimate, just like manually entering the activity into the MFP activity database does, though the devices that use your body motion or HR are likely to be a little bit better estimates. I only mention it because people use the term 'track calories' as if it's a hugely different thing than just entering your workout in the database.
  • mayragonzalezsaldana
    Options
    Thanks, I'm looking for a recommendation for swimmers... PLEASE!
  • rita27ny
    Options
    I don't use my calorie counter watch anymore it burned out. waste of money it was the ft40 polar watch.
  • brooklynleah
    Options
    Get one with a chest strap!! I have a NB watch, I have to place my index finger on a button for it to read my HR and about 10 mins into my workouts it won't take my HR. Super frustrating!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    please advise on which is the best calorie reader. also do u think i should get the one with a chest trap?im a girl. im thinking of getting the nordicTrack CardioTrack Combo Heart Rate Monitor Watch. says it wrks with or without straps cost $190,

You're not going to get a meaningful answer without some more detail about how you use it. Note that all methods of estimating your calore expenditure only provide an approximation, the accuracy of which varies depending on whether you're using it for what it's designed for or not.

An activity tracker like a fitbit or Jawbone is essentially an expensive pedometer, and bases the approximation on step counting. That's fine for all day use, but is vulnerable to inaccuracy if you move your arms a lot, or if you do something that doesn't move your arm a lot like cycling or rowing. Lots of people rave about them, personally I don't see much point.

A Heart Rate Monitor will measure your heart rate and approximate expenditure based on that, the accuracy is best if you're dong a consistent steady state activity, they get less acurate if you're doing something where your HR is fluctuating. I would not recommend something like that for all day use.

In principle the two can be complementary.

Personally I'd advocate an HRM if you're doing a decent level of exercise, but as far as calorie expenditure is concerned, just be aware that it's an approximation.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    For more correct calorie counting a heart rate strap.

Now if you have either an ipad or iPhone you could but the Polar H7 heart rate strap and download the polar beat app on your phone/ ipad. This app can then be synced with polarpersonaltrainer trainer to give you a better workout profile.

If you want it for swimming thn the polar h7 strap works, but you will not be able to carry the phone with you while swimming. For that you need a watch.

I have the a Polar RCX5 which is expensive but it works very well for my needs.

Stef.