Your cardio/weight training results??

Options
2»

Replies

• Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I do both. Lifting has done more for my shape than cardio, no question. However, cardio health is also important to me. And yes, a calorie deficit is all you need to lose, but let's face it, it's much easier to hit that deficit with cardio. This has led to better long term adherence for me.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    You can do whatever. I'm an example of a lightly active general tdee female that pretty much exclusively lifts (only 'cause preference). I do active rest between sets (plyos).

Eta: lifting again since April. Post baby; 14mos.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    From what I have read on some posts, some say lifting weight is great for fat loss, and others say cardio.

Addressing the fat burning issue specifically, the last study I saw said there is no difference in fat burning over a full 24H period between cardio, resistance and (this was interesting) not exercising at all.

Which basically means the level of fat burn is primarily governed by the size of your caloric deficit.

So if you want the largest possible safe caloric deficit, you'd want to do as much cardio as your body can possibly handle, as that will drive up your TDEE, which will drive up the safe "20%" deficit.
    You are right, it is hard to burn fat without a deficit! That being said, I'd like to add that people may not be after the largest possible safe caloric deficit, particularly if they're looking at dropping body fat. I spent my life doing cardio. Never did I have anything close to abs until I started strength training. And I started looking significantly slimmer at a heavier weight (and the measuring tape showed that). The below is all cardio vs only strength training, I'm the same weight in both:
    photo.jpgphoto.jpg

I was on the treadmill hours a day every day in the first pic, I lifted weights 3 times a week in the second pic.

Girl those JPGs look like they were taken from a cell phone from 1999.
    iknowright. The first one I had to increase the size and lighten the pic so you could actually see my butt...as you can tell from bright and pixelated...the second is something my android phone decided to do lol

You post so many pictures of your butt, this is the best you can do? You're disappointing your fans!
    Do you know what? I don't think I have any really good butt pictures. The next time someone is taking pictures at a party I'll have to ask them to take a pic of my butt. I got a really nice pair of apple bottoms lately :p For now here's a 360:
    dolphin-boogie-o.gif
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I dropped 15 and started 30 minutes cardio 30 minutes weights......
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    From what I have read on some posts, some say lifting weight is great for fat loss, and others say cardio.

Addressing the fat burning issue specifically, the last study I saw said there is no difference in fat burning over a full 24H period between cardio, resistance and (this was interesting) not exercising at all.

Which basically means the level of fat burn is primarily governed by the size of your caloric deficit.

So if you want the largest possible safe caloric deficit, you'd want to do as much cardio as your body can possibly handle, as that will drive up your TDEE, which will drive up the safe "20%" deficit.
    You are right, it is hard to burn fat without a deficit! That being said, I'd like to add that people may not be after the largest possible safe caloric deficit, particularly if they're looking at dropping body fat. I spent my life doing cardio. Never did I have anything close to abs until I started strength training. And I started looking significantly slimmer at a heavier weight (and the measuring tape showed that). The below is all cardio vs only strength training, I'm the same weight in both:
    photo.jpgphoto.jpg

I was on the treadmill hours a day every day in the first pic, I lifted weights 3 times a week in the second pic.

Girl those JPGs look like they were taken from a cell phone from 1999.
    iknowright. The first one I had to increase the size and lighten the pic so you could actually see my butt...as you can tell from bright and pixelated...the second is something my android phone decided to do lol

You post so many pictures of your butt, this is the best you can do? You're disappointing your fans!
    Do you know what? I don't think I have any really good butt pictures. The next time someone is taking pictures at a party I'll have to ask them to take a pic of my butt. I got a really nice pair of apple bottoms lately :p For now here's a 360:
    dolphin-boogie-o.gif

All right. Good to hear you're on it.
  • hannah_d1989
    hannah_d1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has answered. Awesome to see a lot are doing cardio and weights as that it what I intend to do and hoped to see results this way!
  • Silent1980
    Options
    My body fat went from 42% to 25%
    I lost 20 cm from waist and 20 from hips
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    my Gazelle n running have given me this body. not done yet, need to work on wide sides but i'm close!!! :D
  • hannah_d1989
    Options

WOW! How long did this take you to achieve?
  • Quix82
    Quix82 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I lost 20lbs in 4 months strictly cardio. I really noticed results once I started HIIT. I still incorporate plenty of cardio into my workouts, but I combine it with strength training (Bodybeast workouts)
  • hannah_d1989
    Options
    I lost 20lbs in 4 months strictly cardio. I really noticed results once I started HIIT.

Awesome, thats good to know. my cardio is going to be HIIT, around 20 minutes 4 times per week.
  • Quix82
    Quix82 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I lost 20lbs in 4 months strictly cardio. I really noticed results once I started HIIT.

Awesome, thats good to know. my cardio is going to be HIIT, around 20 minutes 4 times per week.

Nice. If it's your first time doing it. Kind of feel it out before truly pushing yourself. My legs pretty much gave out on the treadmill and I almost flew into the wall. Ah, missed opportunity of a youtube moment.
  • Silent1980
    Options

WOW! How long did this take you to achieve?

10 months
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I've gotten better results by upping my strength workouts over the last 5 months, than in the year or more doing mostly cardio. Yes I lost weight doing cardio, but I lost a lot of inches and dropped sizes faster lifting weights, but like others have said you still have to eat at a calorie deficit. If you do decide to focus on weight training, you should up your protein.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I would happily never strap on my running shoes or get on the cross trainer again, if there was some other way of increasing the calorie deficit than not eating :P I like to eat...okay I do kind of like running, in a weird, saddistic, self-punishing way!

I have just started weight training properly, so watch this space I guess!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I love weightlifting but I do throw in some "fun" cardio for myself. For me, video games entertain me enough to care about it for about 20-30 minutes about 5 days a week. I lift 3-4 days. :)
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I do cardio because I'm addicted to it.
    I do strength training, because I hate the flab and want the muscle!!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    So I am wondering, did you lose fat (not necessarily weight) from cardio, weights, or a combination of the two???

I lost my weight by eating 400-1000 less than my maintenance.

I changed the way my body looked by lifting weights.

I improved my endurance by doing cardio.

This, exactly.