tuna in a can

Options
I love tuna sandwiches for lunch. No mayo, just plain bread and tuna. I am wondering how much tuna is accpeted okay for a week.
Is one can too much per week? How many servings are considered ok? I know tuna can be high in mercury and that is why I am concerned.

Thanks.

Replies

• lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I would say you could have as much tuna as you like although of course, it is always good to have a variety of food. I don't think say having a tuna sandwich every day even for lunch would be a problem. It is very unlikely that you need to be concerned about the mercury, unless you are pregnant.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Here's a good link for info on tuna. It's definitely best to limit canned tuna consumption as methylmercury is easily stored by by the body. It's an organic, water soluble form of mercury that is absorbed easily but isn't flushed out anywhere nearly as easily.

I would suggest avoiding canned tuna, especially if it isn't sustainably fished, which most of it isn't.

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/tuna.asp
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that table was very informative.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Thanks NoAdditives for the web link because I love tuna so much my mom used to joke that I would turn into a thermometer if I didn't cut back. It isn't a joke however what pollution and food industry short cuts and cost savings have done to our food supplies.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    What's a good substitute for Tuna?