Can you count calories long term?

Options
alicerabbit8
alicerabbit8 Posts: 6
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
How long have you been counting calories?

I just started counting calories today. Do you think you can keep up logging your calories for a long time? Do you think it is easy and convenient?

I think if I eat the same foods most days it can be easy.

I just started with the MFP app which I think is really good and convenient !

Sometimes it is really difficult to know how many calories are in a meal or dish if I eat out.

Replies

• amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've been counting for around 3-4 years using various different websites/apps. MFP is by far my preferred choice as it makes it so easy to log & doesn't seem like an inconvenience having to track daily.

I plan on tracking for the rest of my life & with using MFP I think it's certainly doable to track long term.

Without tracking I would easily start to gain the weight I've lost again.

Good luck with your journey :)
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it since August last year and yeah I find it easy and if I'm unsure on calories in a certain thought I search the database find something similar and take that and maybe add a little to be on the safe side.

I've seen some people that have been on here for 2-3years and I'm sure there's others that have been doing it for longer.
  • claire671
    claire671 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Ive logged my food for over 235 days now so a wee while. It becomes second nature and even if I'm busy during the day I'll make mental notes and log once I'm home. Eating out can be tricky but there are many foods in the database that are similar so I can normally estimate the calories there or for large food chains the calories are in the database. I love a Costa Coffee and their whole menu is in the database which is handy.

It's a great app and really couldn't have lost my weight without it plus I've learned so much in these forums.

Good luck to you!
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    It took me just over two years to reach my weight loss goal, and I logged during that time. Now that I'm maintaining, I find that it I eat whatever I like (which is NOTHING like I used to eat before losing weight) and then have a lower calorie day once a week, which equates to around 1,400 cals on that day, I even out and can maintain.

I can almost, almost do it on my own, so hopefully soon I won't have to log at all.. but it is definitely useful for the whole of the weight loss journey :).
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Been logging for over a year. It starts as a chore but is now as much a part of my routine as cleaning my teeth. It takes a few minutes at most even on 'complex' days.

stick with it, and good luck with the journey.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Stick with it, once you've been tracking for a little while it becomes a normal part of your routine, just like showering. Also, as you log more your frequent items are saved so that makes it much quicker.
  • carolinetayloruk
    carolinetayloruk Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it since February and i find it really easy. I have the app on my phone which means i can add things whenever i have a few spare minutes.

I think once i get to maintenance then i'll still log but not stress as much if i miss a few days or anything like that.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I've been counting calories on here for more than two years......I'll hit the 800 days in a row soon.

After a while it becomes habit forming. It does help that I use the iPhone and iPad apps and there are periods such as holidays when I don't log everything.
  • Art63
    Art63 Posts: 87
    Options
    I lasted a bit over one year and then quit. It was fun at first but got to be a chore. Sure enough, the pounds crept back on. I resisted as long as I dared to "get back into it" and just recently came back here to this website and have started counting again. And once again the pounds are coming off.

It seems as though I have to become almost obsessive about counting calories for me to watch my weight. Maybe for you it won't be like that. All you can do is find out. There sure are enough people on here as proof that it works and really helps us.

Good luck to you.

Art
  • wellbur
    wellbur Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP over 600 days and find when i don't log my food, i make wrong choices so think i will be using long term
  • sillyli234
    sillyli234 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Like anything else it has to be incorporated into your lifestyle to become a lifelong habit. I've been logging since May 2012, but watching calories for 2 years.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have an idea of relative calorie counts and tend to eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch, especially on workdays, so I don't. If the weight started creeping back on, I'd get right back to logging and counting. I'm a little paranoid about winter coming on since I've been doing a lot of long outdoor bike rides and it's just not as interesting at the gym. We'll see what happens!
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think many people log because they are scared they will instantly get fat again. It depends how bad your relationship to food was/is. If you count and restrict with much effort, chances are that as soon as you stop, the scale is going to go up. But I found that I can maintain very well as long as I weigh foods, make mental notes in my head, and listen to my stomach. "Am I really hungry, or just bored?" etc. A good alternative is to log once you feel you are gaining again (after a 2kg gain for example) or periodically during the week. Feel you've been eating too much? Go count again for a day or two, to get your brain back on track.

Try different things and put some faith in your cognitive abilities. If you have used MFP properly, you will have learned why you got fat, you know your trigger foods, you know tricks to avoid binging, you know that one christmas dinner doesn't make you roll down the stairs. You know that moderation is the key, regardless of ideological views of veganism/vegetarianism/paleo/low carb whatever people believe works for them.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've counted calories on-and-off since I was in high school, but I was using another website and then another app before I came to MFP. I definitely like MFP better!
  • alicerabbit8
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for all the replies! I feel more confident with calorie counting now after hearing of all your successes:) I just finished logging my first day, and I stayed under my calorie goal! Hooray for day 1!:)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I have been counting calories for 3 years now (see my joined date), with the exception of the last few months of my pregnancy. I just didn't see the point, but I kept logging into mfp because I love the community on here. You're right about it being easier if you eat the same things a lot, and I think it's a must if you plan on keeping the weight off. Too many people use it as a way to lose weight and aren't able to keep it off because they go back to their old ways. They eyeball portions, don't measure servings, etc.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm in my third year of counting calories. Before MFP, I had tried to keep a written diary, but I wasn't consistent and had to look everything up. It was tedious. It is much easier as long as a tool is available.
  • alicerabbit8
    Options
    Good to know! Nice to know tracking can become a habit,.. makes it sound easier.
  • alicerabbit8
    Options
    I'm also happy with my decision not to count calories from leafy green veggies or non-starch veggies! Now I am enouraged to fill my plate full of these veggies.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for almost 1.5 years. It definitely gets easier after you've been doing it for a while and if you have the app. The scanning option is a godsend!
This discussion has been closed.