Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Soda, pop, or coke

What do you say when you're talking about the sugary caffeinated beverage?

Here, when you ask for "coke" at a restaurant, they ask what type. (sprite, coke, diet, etc)

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    I use soda for generalities, or the actual name of the product if the situation calls for specifics.

I actually consume coke product for the majority of my sodas, so if I were to say " I need to stop drinking cokes" I'm technically not using coke for an ignorant redneck generality.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Until I was 10 I called it pop. Then I moved to a different state, and they called it soda. 2 years ago I moved back to my hometown, where it's pop again. Now I'm kind of a hybrid, although I usually say soda.

My kids will probably grow up calling it pop though :laugh:

Edited because I can't spell :grumble:
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Coke. No-one in Australia uses soda or pop, to the consternation of my children.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Pop!
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Pop in Chicago
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,275 Member
    Katie's right, we call it pop....when I lived down south (central Arkansas) they called it soda because if you said pop....they thought you were talking about population (yeah on the city limit signs) \m/
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    What do you say when you're talking about the sugary caffeinated beverage?

Here, when you ask for "coke" at a restaurant, they ask what type. (sprite, coke, diet, etc)
    I lived in North Carolina for a year and that confused the heck out of me when someone would ask for a "coke", the waitress would ask what kind, and they'd say Dr. Pepper...WHAAAA !?!?!?

BTW - it's POP
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    It's pop here in Ohio.
  • ktno1
    ktno1 Posts: 297 Member
    "soft drink" or my personal favourite "fizzy drink"

Welcome to Australia.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    On the West Coast we say soda.

The East Coast generally refer to it as pop.

Calling it Coke is just branding. Like Q-Tips, Kleenex, and other non-sense.

Actually on the East coast we say "Soda".

"Pop" is more of a rust-belt/midestern thing (also having lived there)

Hearing someone call all soda "Coke" would make me want to punch a baby seal.
  • In Ireland we call them 'Fizzy drinks'.

Red lemonade being a particular favourite here!
  • Daxton
    Daxton Posts: 17 Member
    I wish I could like this post.

Some folks claim it's a regional thing. Most yankees say "pop" (which drives me up the wall), I say "coke", unless I am speaking to my kids and i say "No SODAS!"
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    I go against what is prevalent in this area, and I say "soda"

sodapop.jpg
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    On the West Coast we say soda.

^This. Calling all soda "Coke" happens in certain area of the south.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    I wish I could like this post.

Some folks claim it's a regional thing. Most yankees say "pop" (which drives me up the wall), I say "coke", unless I am speaking to my kids and i say "No SODAS!"

Lol. Yep, I'm a yankee, and my husband hated when I said pop! I say soda more often now. I guess that ones ok. Lol.
  • Fragilebird24
    Fragilebird24 Posts: 202 Member
    Both! It depends on who I'm around, actually.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    In Texas and Louisiana we say Coke..........then specify which kind! (Diet, Sprite, etc!) :drinker:
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Here in Detroit it's pop.
  • On the West Coast we say soda.

You shouldn't punch seals because something makes you upset... You should throat punch a stranger instead.
  • I go against what is prevalent in this area, and I say "soda"

sodapop.jpg

You and your fancy chart