Silly idea 6 days before marathon day !

Yesterday morning I did a interval training class at the gym - I'd never done the class before and it was brutal ! Now I ache ALL OVER and struggling to even lift my arms ! problem is I have a marathon to run on Sunday although I think I should feel back to normal by then (right?) is there anything I can do to speed up the recovery ? Should I just rest or shall I maybe have a gentle swim tomorrow ?

Thanks in advance

p.s please don't preach about how I shouldn't have done the class ect I am now fully aware of that fact :)

Replies

• WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    You'll be fine by Sunday. DOMS usually doesn't last more than a couple of days.

It's better to do some activity. You could go for a short, slow run even, just don't push yourself too hard. You should be tapering your marathon training down at this point anyway.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    I would try a gentle swim or similar exercise
  • davidji
    davidji Posts: 5 Member
    Remember even if you do have a little pain on the day of the marathon don't be phsyced out as the DOMS doesn't necessarily affect your athletic performance. Keep stretching and moving, nothing is worse than inactivity.
  • louiseshaw88
    louiseshaw88 Posts: 132 Member
    Cheers :) I was thinking of doing maybe a slow 2 or 3 miles on Friday night and maybe a slow walk or very light swim on Saturday - I've never ever felt ache like this before !
  • I had my 1st personal training session last Friday and let me tell you... Saturday and Sunday I couldn't move! I was glad to feel it because I knew it did me some good but I second guessed if I should have done it when I did due to an upcoming even for me tomorrow. Low and behold, Monday morning I wake up and it's like everything was back to normal. With the exception of 1 arm, which is now fine, I was barely achie on Monday and Tuesday and today have been normal. I have my 2nd session today at 2 and have almost just accepted that I have to push through the pain. I'm sure you will do fine. Good luck to you!
  • Give it a few days and you should be fine. The worst of it will be a couple of days after, and you'll feel fine within two days after that. Best of luck!
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    You'll be fine by race day, plenty of fluid & protein to aid muscle repair and conserve your energy for the big day.

Good luck on the Marathon !!