Counting Calories at Desk Job

Options
What is the general consensus on counting the calories burned at a desk job? I saw on my fitbit where I can add this activity and track the calories burned during that time. however, the fitbit is already tracking my calories (basal metabolic?) Is counting those calories double counting?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What is the general consensus on counting the calories burned at a desk job? I saw on my fitbit where I can add this activity and track the calories burned during that time. however, the fitbit is already tracking my calories (basal metabolic?) Is counting those calories double counting?

Considering you are sitting in a chair I would not attempt to count any additional calories for "activity".
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Considering you are sitting in a chair I would not attempt to count any additional calories for "activity".

Agreed. I also work a desk job and I don't log any calories for activity unless I physically make an attempt for exercise, like going for a long walk during my lunch hour.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Just stick with what the Fitbit says.
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i have a desk job, and even worse (from an activity perspective), i also work from home, so during the day i sometimes barely move. I never count it as activity, instead i have activity level set at very low and use actual physical exercise (gym etc) to count as activity.

For some reason i find it much easier to lose weight and understand my body this way because i never log activity incorrectly, i.e. i dont have to guess whether walking to the local coffee shop or down an office corridor burned x amount of calories.
  • lannabelle
    lannabelle Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would follow what the fitbit says. It is supposed to be tracking everything you do, including sitting at your desk.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think the Goals section includes the term "desk job" in the description of sedentary as an example . So it's already taken care of.
  • merecard
    merecard Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Find what works for you.
    But for me, I don't put in as any calories are burned that are out of the normal or that I am working for them during the day. (and I get up and walk around every other hour and do chair dips every other hour and I don't put any of that in.)

But I also don't put in 60 minutes when I go to a Zumba class because we don't constantly move for that 60 minutes. (we learn a new step, we take quick water breaks and then the cool down) I would put in 50 minutes and then anything above that is a bonus.

I would rather log less minutes then what I am actually doing then try to put more in. I don't want to disappoint myself in that "5 weeks" and I am above that when I know that I have been working out and eating right. I like to be "Oh well that is a nice surprise!!"

So for me, I sit in my office for 6 hours a day and take that as "normal" and I have to work from that to burn anything extra.
    But again, find what works for you. If you are logging that 8 hours or whatever it is and you are happy with that, then stick with it. You are here to help you!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    The entire point of wearing a Fitbit is to quantify the amount of activity you do, or don't do. Sitting down, walking around, climbing stairs, etc, are all specifically covered by the Fitbit.

It's not necessarily completely accurate, but if you're not going to trust its numbers to some degree for its core purpose there's no reason to wear it.
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

THIS
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    The entire point of wearing a Fitbit is to quantify the amount of activity you do, or don't do. Sitting down, walking around, climbing stairs, etc, are all specifically covered by the Fitbit.

It's not necessarily completely accurate, but if you're not going to trust its numbers to some degree for its core purpose there's no reason to wear it.

I suppose this could be an off-topic question, but for the sake of discussion, if we assume that the fitbit and MFP accounts are linked, how do they interact? It sounds as if the Fitbit, or a body media fit for that matter, measure activity that would otherwise be considered in MFP's activity level.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

I have a FitBit. I also have a desk job. I spend approximately 8-9 hours here every day, mostly on my butt in my sweet, spinning office chair. I occasionally walk around to deliver invoices, restock supplies, BS with coworkers, etc. I've found that it gives a fairly accurate estimate of my calories burned during this time considering I'm operating within the bounds of what it's designed to track (steps, floors, distance, etc.)

It's true that it's not 100% accurate. But if you're not going to trust the numbers it gives you that are specifically based off your personal activity, you may as well go back to estimating all of your own calories burned yourself. It gives me a fair idea of my "activity level" during my weight lifting sessions, but since it's not designed to be used during those types of things (resistance training, cycling, etc.), I'm certain that the calories it says I burned at the time are also not accurate.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I suppose this could be an off-topic question, but for the sake of discussion, if we assume that the fitbit and MFP accounts are linked, how do they interact? It sounds as if the Fitbit, or a body media fit for that matter, measure activity that would otherwise be considered in MFP's activity level.

MFP calculates an expected daily calorie burn for you.

Fitbit continually updates MFP with "actual" calories burned in real time. MFP takes your current calorie burn for the day and then uses the activity level you've given it to extrapolate a new expected calorie burn by the end of the day.

If this new expected calorie burn is higher, it adds the extra as an exercise adjustment.

Example: MFP expects me to burn 2011 calories a day. Fitbit has told MFP that as of 10:21 AM I've actually burned 1000 calories. MFP then extrapolates (based on 2011/day or 84/hour) that by the end of the day I'll have burned 2170. So MFP gives me a +159 calorie exercise adjustment and changes my food goal accordingly.

(This is just an example)
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I go by my fitbit. Its incredibly accurate IMO.

I can see on a graph what I was doing and when. Funniest thing is, the other day I had my mobile data on. Whilst I was walking, EACH step was counting in real time. I was having a bit too much fun stopping and starting, and waving my arms around to see what that would do. ( Nothing, apparently! lol ) looked a right tw*t.

My graphs are almost always the same, but I like how when I stop walking once I reach the shop it shows very clearly how much I slowed down, and things like that.

Without working, my basal rate plus 300 extra cals is the norm. I leave it at that. So I reach about 1300, and I trust that. I dont add " walking " " showering " or " cleaning " as the fitbit takes care of all of that. And those extra cals are not worth much! You will end up overlogging exercise if you add them yourself.

FYI: Working days: 2300 cals. Days off, pretty equal to a desk job: 1300 cals. Sad but true. haha
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. Uhm would never dream of entering it as an activity. I'm sitting typing. I don't log going to the bathroom, preparing food or casual walks (unless it's a power walk). Of course, you may be at a different level than me but at any level I would think sitting is not an exercise.
  • Gee_24
    Options
    Another random fitbit post! ( sorry to go off on a tangent )

Last night I woke up and had a coughing fit. For a looong time. This morning I was telling my partner, he asked what time it happened as he doesnt remember it. WELL! Got out the fitbit and it showed I was awake between 4am and 5.12 am. And I was like " There! I coughed my lungs up for an hour. Gimme cuddles. "

Love it.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

If you'd like to see how this works, there are whole discussion boards dedicated to how these two apps interact.

MFP assumes a certain activity level. Your FitBit either proves this (by reflecting the same number at the end of the day) or disproves it (by your being more or less active than MFP assumes). If you are more active, FitBit pushes a notification to MFP, and MFP adjusts your daily totals to reflect your need to eat more. If you are less active, etc. MFP adjusts your daily totals to reflect your need to eat less. If you'd like to see it in action, check out my diary.
  • Gee_24
    Options

If you'd like to see how this works, there are whole discussion boards dedicated to how these two apps interact.

MFP assumes a certain activity level. Your FitBit either proves this (by reflecting the same number at the end of the day) or disproves it (by your being more or less active than MFP assumes). If you are more active, FitBit pushes a notification to MFP, and MFP adjusts your daily totals to reflect your need to eat more. If you are less active, etc. MFP adjusts your daily totals to reflect your need to eat less. If you'd like to see it in action, check out my diary.

Exactly!

I can't stress enough how much it has eased my mind. I now log onto MFP and SEE what was exercise and what was basal as the true burn is added to MFP.

So whilst the fitbit counts your exercise AND your basal rate together all day, only the exercise calories are added to my fitness pal. Its incredible.

If my fitbit says I have earned 2300 total daily calories, usually my fitbit will add about 8-900 of those to mfp for me. Which is wonderful. And likewise if I am off work, it will add NO exercise calories unless I go out for a walk. In which case it will give me about 150. Again, accurate.
  • Gee_24
    Options
    Also: MFP really does over-estimate some burns. Especially since I am a small woman, some of the general estimations MFP can give you are off. Not by MUCH, but enough to make a difference.

For example, when I first started, I used to log cleaning my house in the morning. It gave me about 90 extra calories. Wrong. Its about 50 at best. I would log the same again when I got home as I clean several times a day.

So that's about 80 calories I would have eaten back wrongly. Enough to make a difference to me.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Hopefully when you set up MFP you chose sedentary which includes office workers. Your Fitbit is calculating all the time so you don't add anything extra. Let the apps do the work.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options

What about all those calories from flying off the handle, jumping to conclusions, and running myself ragged?!? :ohwell: