Gluten and Dairy Free food ideas?

Options
Hi! Hoping some people can help me...

I found out last week from my doctor that I need to go gluten and dairy free (as much as possible). Yes, they're sure. No, it's not to help me lose weight. lol

Anyway, I've basically started to figure out what I CAN'T eat...but I want to know if anyone can give me some good ideas of what I CAN eat!

I'm noticing that it's much harder to get to my protein goal by dropping these things (amongst other things, I've lost cheese, my protein shake and my protein bars...these were actually pretty big things to help me get to that goal...)

I DID find a protein shake I can use, but I'm still a little nervous about trying it. lol

Any ideas?

Replies

• StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Are you off eggs and meat as well? Because both of those are great sources of protein. I snack on deli meat through out the day. 3 thin slices of roast beef gives me 20g of protein. A 3 oz can of tuna has has 16g of protein.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I can still have eggs and meat. Deli meats usually contain gluten, though...not to mention they're crazy high in sodium. Tuna is already a staple of my diet.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Search for "paleo" or "primal" groups/websites/meal plans/recipes/etc. Totally regardless of if you agree with the premise, these diets are basically grain-free and dairy-free. Even if there's a few other things you can eat that those diets restrict in addition to grains and dairy, it may give you some really good ideas of things you can add to your current diet.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I can still have eggs and meat. Deli meats usually contain gluten, though...not to mention they're crazy high in sodium. Tuna is already a staple of my diet.

Not deli meats you buy that are prepackaged...deli meats from the counter. Boar's Head, etc. You can also get the low-sodium variety if you have a problem with sodium intake. My other 'version' of deli meat is grass-fed flank steak that I broil at home, then slice up and bring to work :)
  • megsybeth
    megsybeth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease and have been gluten free about a year, just dropped dairy and that's hard. I agree that packaged deli meats are usually ok. It's when they have bread on the counter that you have cross contamination. Or some junky products have malt, but you wouldn't want that anyway.

I've been doing a lot of avocado, coconut, almond milk. And more meat. I'm on day one of the first week of South Beach which fits this pretty well, but it would be easier with cottage cheese or yogurt.
  • newata
    newata Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Why are you giving up dairy? Does it effect Celiac diisease?