I'm trying to find my abs through all these layers!

Options
I have recently joined Gold's Gym in town and am wondering what is the best exercises I can do for my mid section? I know all about not being able to target certain areas and what not, but that seems to be the only real area I carry my weight.

Currently, I am on the elliptical for about 25 min and then light weights for about 40 min (alternating days of upper body and lower body, but I usually do core every time I go to the gym). From there I will swim laps in the pool (typically about 20 min or 10 laps/20 lengths). Recently I've also added crunches, oblique crunches and alternate/bicycle crunches.

Any workout recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I have a tendency to hurt my ankles and knees so I'm trying to stay away from high impact. I did Insanity last year for about 3 weeks before my ankles had enough. That is something I will need to ease into again and strengthen my muscles more first.

Thank you for any constructive help you can give.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    fork put downs and table push aways
  • LrdTwitchyMcChin
    Options
    Considering you don't know my eating habits, there's not need to be a ****. I eat a pretty well balanced diet as if that was the topic here at all to begin with.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    the only way you have visible abs is through diet. cutting. a deficit.

I'm not being an a%% that's just the reality.

you're diet may be balanced as my car tires- but if it's not at a deficit- it doesn't matter.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I know all about not being able to target certain areas and what not, but that seems to be the only real area I carry my weight.
    Yep, can't spot reduce. Continue eating a reasonable calorie deficit and exercising. It's really that simple. The fat will come off where ever it wants to, you can't control it.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You need to lose more body fat, no amount of crunches are going to do that for you
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    There is no exercise that will spot reduce or spot "tone" the area.

A smaller midsection comes from overall loss of BF%. You can do 10,000 crunches a day, but if your body has fat stored in other areas that it wants to use before midsection fat, it will. Your smaller midsection will come from:

Diet (caloric deficit..aka forkputdowns) + Work (cardio and compound strength) + patience (as the midsection is usually the last to go)

You can gain a smaller midsection with only 1&3, but may not like the results as much without the work.

One thing you will notice about individuals on this site with nice midsections; they actually do very little or no isolated ab work.
  • LrdTwitchyMcChin
    Options
    I apologize if I over reacted. I just stopped using these forums months ago because of all the jerks who would rather put me down then give me solid advice. Although your advice is good, I already know this and do eat at a deficit. I'm wondering about exercises though not nutrition. I am starting over and am looking for more exercises to add to my routine as that is where I lack the knowledge.

Again, I apologize if I took you comment the wrong way. I'm just sick of being bashed by people like I'm a moron because I'm overweight. Life happens and sometimes you go down a path you wish you hadn't. Now all I can do is change that path. I guess I'm just a bit defensive on these forums now.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Cardio!! Even low impact works
    Get in good amount of fiber to get things flattening out, cut some carbs out, nothing crazy but just be mindful!
    Good luck at golds!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Considering you don't know my eating habits, there's not need to be a ****. I eat a pretty well balanced diet as if that was the topic here at all to begin with.

What she is saying is that visible abs are made in the kitchen. Yes, you have to work to build those muscles, but visible abs are a bi-product of a very low BF%...thus the saying, "Abs are made in the kitchen." You can work your abs until your blue in the face, but if you don't have a very low BF%, they will not really be visible.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    eat at a deficit, strengthen your body in general, and do cardio if you like/need it to have a dietary deficit. There is no rocket science to the equation to reach a reasonable body fat %.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Lose the light weights and get big honkin heavy ones. As big as you can. Lift heavy. Squats and deadlifts work the core pretty hard.

Read up on heavy lifting for women. Those little weights only help if they are the heaviest thing you can lift.

And eat at a deficit of course. :)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Cardio!! Even low impact works
    Get in good amount of fiber to get things flattening out, cut some carbs out, nothing crazy but just be mindful!
    Good luck at golds!

the only reason why this would work, is if by making these changes, they put you into a deficit position.

my fat loss and cardio came from running, and it did help me shed some fat.
    boxing and high intensity training is where the rest really melted the fat away. *not literally lol*

doing core work is great, because once the fat is gone, you want to see those strong muscles. But you won't see them unless you keep working at a deficit.

If you are patient, it doesn't even have to be a big deficit.

Also...keep up the strength training... the more muscle you have on your body, the more calories you will burn than just having fat. (Non technical way of saying that muscle helps you metabolize faster.... or something like that)
  • airant
    airant Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Planks, Side planks, mountain climber, leg raises. Good luck!!! and keep the good work
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Planks, Side planks, mountain climber, leg raises. Good luck!!! and keep the good work

Good core exercises, but it still comes down to lowering BF through deficit, cardio and strength, and patience.

You can do all these exercises all day long, but if you body has fat to burn on areas other than the abdomen, it will take from there first as with all exercises.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    the only way you have visible abs is through diet. cutting. a deficit.

I'm not being an a%% that's just the reality.

you're diet may be balanced as my car tires- but if it's not at a deficit- it doesn't matter.

This. And you can't spot reduce, so when you do cut your body fat, no guarantee it's going to come off your stomach first.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Lose the light weights and get big honkin heavy ones. As big as you can. Lift heavy. Squats and deadlifts work the core pretty hard.

Read up on heavy lifting for women. Those little weights only help if they are the heaviest thing you can lift.

And eat at a deficit of course. :)

This.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    1-Full body, big muscle strength training 3Xweek(not millions of setups and crunches! I love StrongLifts Its all done with the Barbell and some weights and the results are fabulous!)
    2-Cardio a few times a week (Mountain biking is my favorite, but i'll elliptical machine it if I must.)
    3-Eating healthy food at a slight deficit.
    4- Yoga ( I think this is optional but I highly recommend it!)

It is all about consistency. Choose healthy foods, don't over eat. Don't skip your workouts!
    I love the body this routine gives me...Curvy (muscle kind not fat) and fit!

It just takes consistency and patience.

Which is the hardest thing of all!
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I lost 170 lbs and I know I have a six pack in there somewhere. The loose skin will shrink with time, especially if you exfoliate on a regular basis and remove old skin cells so new ones build a tighter skin. Drink the requirement of water for you and 3 more things. Cardio, cardio, cardio. Your mid-section has built an apron of fat, dedication and hard work will get you there. Don't go totally by the scale either. Burn away the fat and your muscle will shin through. I wish you all the best.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering about exercises though not nutrition. I am starting over and am looking for more exercises to add to my routine as that is where I lack the knowledge.

Barbell squats, dead lifts, bench press. Heavy weight, low reps. Body weight crunches etc won't do much.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    hey I have a solution for you :) weighted hula hooping ! it really works and tones the muscles my abs are rock hard when i tense, but i have a lil chub over the top so can't see it really, but can in the morning! but try weighted hula hooping, it really works and tones the stomach muscles and brings in the waist..