Getting healthy and combating 'secret eating'

Options
Hi, I just signed up. I've never really been that fit, I've always just been kind of average with fat areas in my belly and thighs only. Now I'm starting to notice that it's harder to keep weight off now that I'm in my late 20s.

I also have to admit that I have an issue with eating in secret. I'll make healthy dinners at home, but sometimes for lunch I end up eating fast food. If I forget my lunch I'll be heading to the store, but stop and get a cheeseburger instead. Or I'll be on my way home and decide that a couple of tacos won't hurt. I really only do this once a week at most, but I feel like garbage after, and I know that the extra calories and trashy food add up.

I've got to find a way to stay motivated enough to keep working out and stop eating the garbage food. Nothing ever really sticks, and I know I'm the only one to blame.

I hope I can use this website to start becoming more accountable for my actions. If anyone has any tips on how they're working to get over something similar, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I have lost 121 lbs in 15 months (30 before starting on here) by eating at a calorie deficit. It's that simple. And the good news is that you do not have to deprive yourself of the foods you like. There are no 'bad' 'trashy' 'junk' foods. I eat ice cream absolutely every single day (and often chips, jelly beans, Subway, McDonalds... whatever I like). I just make sure to meet my macro/micro/fiber goals and that's it. After all, this is supposed to be a lifestyle change not a diet and you have to ask yourself, can I avoid hamburgers, pizza, ice cream for the rest of my life? These are great reads:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://impruvism.com/flexible-dieting-basics/
  • sweetcarm
    sweetcarm Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I signed up to MFP years ago but only recently have been using this app religiously. In the last month I've lost 12 pounds.
    Log ALL your food intake (every bite, lick and taste of food that enters your mouith.
    Become 100% accountable to yourself.
    You will have your good days and even BETTER days.
    When you fall off the band wagon... JUMP BACK ON AT THE VERY NEXT MEAL!! Don't wait for the next day :)
    The next time you stop for those "tacos" ask yourself....."Can I make a healthier choice?" OR "How am I going to feel after I eat this?"
    Remind yourself that YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    You will probably find logging everything that you put in your mouth will help, being honest with yourself. Another good thing about logging is that each new day starts with a refreshed calorie total, yesterday is gone. This helped me and then I started to see a lb go.

all the best
  • bcarman86
    bcarman86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I opened my food diary to help hold myself accountable (it doesn't always work). I always log and I feel embarrassed if someone can see my junk food binge. It makes me think twice before stopping for fast food on the way home.
  • JoasDiaz
    Options
    I literally just posted my own message. I wasn't sure of the in's and out's of the message boards and all but figured I'd say that then introduce myself....Hi
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Fully logging everything is a great way to break those "secret meals" since they are no longer a secret from yourself if you log them. :) As long as you acount for them, there isn't anything wrong with eating the occasional treat.

If you don't have a food scale, I highly recommend getting one! It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a basic one will do. It will really open your eyes to portions!

Welcome to MFP. It is a great tool! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You just need to eat fewer calories than your body requires to maintain...there is nothing inherently evil about having a cheeseburger or tacos.
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Might I suggest keeping "emergency" food in your vehicle.

I have found keeping peanut butter, nuts, to go applesauce and similar items in my truck help me control impulse eating. I work at maintaining a vegetarian diet most of the week and I avoid processed foods as much as possible.

Same thing at work - I keep food at my shop that I can eat without guilt later. Air popper and popcorn, bagged salad and carrots in the fridge and cups of applesauce.

As most other replies have stated tracking everything you eat really helps!

Best wishes at fulfilling your goals! Your are using a great tool to help you achieve them.
  • susanlovesfitness
    susanlovesfitness Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have an eating disorder and one of the main things was " secret eating" I had to come to realize and admit to people that I did that. Fact was, it was no shock because of me being overweight. I now, count everything and when I see the numbers, it makes me stop and control my secret eating.
  • AmazonEphiny
    Options
    I have lost 121 lbs in 15 months (30 before starting on here) by eating at a calorie deficit. It's that simple. And the good news is that you do not have to deprive yourself of the foods you like. There are no 'bad' 'trashy' 'junk' foods. I eat ice cream absolutely every single day (and often chips, jelly beans, Subway, McDonalds... whatever I like). I just make sure to meet my macro/micro/fiber goals and that's it. After all, this is supposed to be a lifestyle change not a diet and you have to ask yourself, can I avoid hamburgers, pizza, ice cream for the rest of my life? These are great reads:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://impruvism.com/flexible-dieting-basics/

Thanks, that topic was really helpful! I know there are no "bad" foods per se.. but for me, eating those high calorie foods makes it much harder for me to gauge what I should be eating the rest of the day. You're right, though, I shouldn't demonize the foods, I should just be more careful about how I consume them. Seeing everything laid out should definitely help, I just need to stick with it.
  • catawba01
    Options
    Hi I am doing the absolute same thing as you are. I wonder if you and I can work to keep each other accountable. because I am always trying to find a way to secret eat. I am always feeling worthless after I do this. I have controled it better lately but I know I will do so first chance I get. Lisa
  • weaving2fast
    weaving2fast Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I still combat the urges to sneak off for fast food. I used to eat what I called a pre dinner. Leaving work, hitting som fast food, then going home to have dinner. Logging everything and being accountable to myself has really helped me. Results will be reason enough to avoid that behavior. You'll make it!
  • massgal3
    Options
    Log in EVERYTHING and be honest! My biggest motivator not to cheat was when the first couple of pounds came off. I thought, "I might really be on to something here!" Then it was 5lbs, then 7, then 10--and now 22! Seriously, it was those first couple that made me realize how all those "cheats" add up.
  • AmazonEphiny
    Options
    I have an eating disorder and one of the main things was " secret eating" I had to come to realize and admit to people that I did that. Fact was, it was no shock because of me being overweight. I now, count everything and when I see the numbers, it makes me stop and control my secret eating.

I've actually never admitted it until now either. Hopefully that's a good first step. Thanks, I'm glad to see someone else here who has overcome this!
  • suzismurf75
    suzismurf75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know all about secret food. The only person you are hurting is yourself with that, though. For instance, I bought a mini blizzard and they had a deal to buy another for 99 cents. I bought two and then ended up eating them both (hiding one of the cups so my husband only thought I had one).

Logging EVERYTHING that I eat/drink has opened my eyes to how I am sabotaging myself with things like that.

Keep some safe snacks in your purse/car and at work so that you aren't tempted to sneak eat. :-)

Good luck! We're all in this together!!
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have always been a closet eater. A few years ago I went to the grocery store to pick up some things for Easter. I also grabbed a few doughnuts and candy bars too, why not right? On the way home after eating all of my crap, I threw the grocery bag out the window along with the remnants of my goodies (yeah I know litter bug and fatty mcfatterson!!). But what I had forgotten was that I had put my change purse holding all of my money for the week , in the grocery bag. So closet eating made me lose about 100.00 that day as well as adding more fat to my bod and self loathing to my soul. That was my big Ah Ha moment. My family had to go without that week because of me. I "came out' to my husband about my problem. It was humiliating and liberating all at the same time. I am still a work in progress, but my diary shows that I log the good and bad. On binge days (which are very few and far between now) I add everything to my diary and aim to redeem myself the next day!! It will get easier!!
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I still combat the urges to sneak off for fast food. I used to eat what I called a pre dinner. Leaving work, hitting som fast food, then going home to have dinner. Logging everything and being accountable to myself has really helped me. Results will be reason enough to avoid that behavior. You'll make it!

Thats what Doug Heffernan on King of Queens calls the pre dinner whopper ;) Love me some Doug Heffernan!!
  • janecarol61
    janecarol61 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    A quote that hit home for me was:

"What you eat in private, you wear in public!"
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many other people have this problem too ... I knew something was wrong when I started the secret eating you are all talking about. Eating more dinner when everyone leaves the kitchen. More than a few times now I have stopped for a bucket of chicken for the family. I have bought a sandwich and fries for me to eat on the ride home, then I would eat dinner too. I always feel so ashamed. Sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem. I find now that whenever I avoid logging, its because I'm eating stuff I shouldn't. So I'm just trying to keep logging. I also try to keep snacks on hand. Even if they take me over my calories for the day, they're better choices than anything I would get going through the drive thru. I wish you the best of luck.
  • shjoll
    shjoll Posts: 3
    Options
    I can completely relate. last year i went on a diet and would lie about sticking to my diet when in actuality i cheated all the time. I think i lied due to embarrassment and the fact that people would say i probably wouldnt stick with it. I recently shared with some coworkers about 3 weeks ago that i was starting a diet and then i overheard them say I wonder how long she going to stick with it. People don't understand how hard it is to stay focus. I can be perfect until I pass by a restaurant and swerve into traffic to make a u-turn back to burger king for an iced coffee. This is an hard struggle and its sad that family is the ones to bring u down. Sorry for the venting. I wish u the best of luck