I have an appetite the size of Russia...

Options
2»

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    sorry, i haven't heard of health trim (not a fan of appetite surpressents either - sorry)

if you have a big appetite though, i'd suggest eating as 'clean' as possible. bit hypocritical as i don't eat particularly clean myself (i don't have a big appetite) but you would get a lot more to eat if you were cutting out pre-packaged stuff and things with a lot of sneaky sugar and fat packed in. if you're getting all your macros from natural sources, your calories will go much further.

hope this helps.

Actually there is no evidence to support the eating clean thing:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

People on a low calorie diet lose just as much weight if 50% of their calories are pure glucose compared to a much more normal diet, so there's no need to feel guilty about not eating "clean" :smile:

Generally though, protein helps regulate blood sugar levels, and slow release carbs e.g. brown rice can be helpful too. I have quite an appetite and have had issues controlling my blood sugar (non-diabetic) since I was a baby, so I feel your pain.

Edit:
    Thinking about it though, the doctor gave me some advice when I was a teenager about eating a diabetic friendly diet as he thought it might be helpful for me keeping my blood sugar levels up. Maybe look into diabetic diets so you know a bit more about blood sugar regulation and appetite? It might help in addition to your medication.

like i said, i don't eat clean - but it is possible to get more volume of food from natural sources - wasn't looking for an argument on the whole 'clean' eating thing, just giving the OP an option.

ETA: if the OP eats 1300 cals worth of glucose (to use your analogy) yes, she will lose weight but she will STILL BE HUNGRY which is what i was trying to address.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I wasn't asking for your opinions on whether or not I "should" be taking them. I was asking people who DO take them about which ones they took and whether or not they worked for them.

Thanks for the info though... just not what I was asking for.

Until you go through all the health struggles I went through a couple years ago, you don't get to judge my methods or the methods I was medically advised to use.

You have to understand that you are posting on a fitness forum and many of us are against any type of medications/pills. Understanding that everyone has a different approach, the only way to get past and improve yourself is teaching yourself how to eat to prevent it. High fat/high protein diets (essentially lower carb) is the best way to suppress appetite, which is what 90% of the people on this board will suggested based on similar threads. I hope you don't take it as offensive or judgmental but more, that many people are trying to help provide tips so you dont have to use an appetite suppressant as a crutch.

Also, depending how active you are, you might be able to up your calories. I know a lot of women eating 1700-2100 calories, especially when they exercise regularly. If you want feedback, you can also open your diary.

To be fair, I purposely did not post this question on the "fitness forum" or the nutrition forum. I posted it in the "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" forum -- because I was asking about appetite suppressant supplements...to aid in weight loss.

Then I would suggest doing a lower carb diet. Fat and Protein is a natural suppressant. Exercise 6 hours a week, so you can eat more calories and eat lots of veggies as they are low calorie and you can get huge quantities.

But if you really just want a pill, I would suggest asking your doctor. Many over the counter ones aren't that effective. One suggestion you may want to look at is a fiber pill. Fiber is quick to fill you up.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I wasn't asking for your opinions on whether or not I "should" be taking them. I was asking people who DO take them about which ones they took and whether or not they worked for them.

Until you go through all the health struggles I went through a couple years ago, you don't get to judge my methods or the methods I was medically advised to use.

You have to understand that you are posting on a fitness forum and many of us are against any type of medications/pills. Understanding that everyone has a different approach, the only way to get past and improve yourself is teaching yourself how to eat to prevent it. High fat/high protein diets (essentially lower carb) is the best way to suppress appetite, which is what 90% of the people on this board will suggested based on similar threads. I hope you don't take it as offensive or judgmental but more, that many people are trying to help provide tips so you dont have to use an appetite suppressant as a crutch.

Also, depending how active you are, you might be able to up your calories. I know a lot of women eating 1700-2100 calories, especially when they exercise regularly. If you want feedback, you can also open your diary.

To be fair, I purposely did not post this question on the "fitness forum" or the nutrition forum. I posted it in the "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" forum -- because I was asking about appetite suppressant supplements...to aid in weight loss.

Then I would suggest doing a lower carb diet. Fat and Protein is a natural suppressant. Exercise 6 hours a week, so you can eat more calories and eat lots of veggies as they are low calorie and you can get huge quantities.

But if you really just want a pill, I would suggest asking your doctor. Many over the counter ones aren't that effective. One suggestion you may want to look at is a fiber pill. Fiber is quick to fill you up.

Thanks. I exercise AT LEAST 6-7 hours a week, and my diet is 90% vegetarian... probably more like 75% vegan. Most of my meals are made up completely of veggies/fruit (more veggies than fruit, as they are higher in sugar) -- with an occasional piece of fish, chicken, or some eggs mixed in.
  • upscalelifedownscalebutt
    Options
    Your doctor should have given you a prescription. Cheaper and better quality.

Some people are just hungrier for whatever reasons, but you need to plan for the day you have to do this unmedicated. I know you are only asking about diet pills, but I hope you are also consulting a dietitian specializing in these sorts of issue.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Borscht is healthy and filling... :tongue:

do you have a recipe i can pinch? the one time i tried to make this it was was not that good :/

Not really, sorry :ohwell: ...I'm in the "experimenting" stage with borscht and trying different national styles (Polish, Russian, Ukrainian). My in-laws make it tons and it's good but they're old school European and just "know" it by memory...not helpful!

A lot of recipes are different so I'd just try a number of different ones online, that's what I'm doing! Good luck.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Russian Sized Appetite Thread, carry on... :flowerforyou:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Thanks. I exercise AT LEAST 6-7 hours a week, and my diet is 90% vegetarian... probably more like 75% vegan. Most of my meals are made up completely of veggies/fruit (more veggies than fruit, as they are higher in sugar) -- with an occasional piece of fish, chicken, or some eggs mixed in.

I suspect there in lies the problem. You are probably lacking in fats and protein. I don't know your weight, but most women need around 120g's of protein (give or take your lean body mass) and fats should probably be around 40g's. Now if you are eating a ton of beans, legumes and other protein sources, then you are on a right track. Also, there is no need to be concerned with sugar (fruit or otherwise) as your body processed it like a carb.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    If they worked there would be no obesity problem.

agreed
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me how unhealthy vegetarians/vegans are. What's the point of that diet, anyway?

I didn't realize you just wanted to lose a few pounds temporarily, Sunshine. I thought you wanted to make a lifestyle change. Diet pills aren't really a lifestyle change. But best of luck to you anyway.

You are so incredibly rude. Clearly your opinion is not something that concerns anyone, sunshine.

I'm assuming by "sunshine" you were referring to the person that actually posted the comment you quoted... not ME (sunnshhiine)...?
  • helena_jj
    helena_jj Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I love the name of the theme, sorry, can't keep from telling this. lol
    PS. I am from Russia.
  • jjoyce408
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me how unhealthy vegetarians/vegans are. What's the point of that diet, anyway?

I didn't realize you just wanted to lose a few pounds temporarily, Sunshine. I thought you wanted to make a lifestyle change. Diet pills aren't really a lifestyle change. But best of luck to you anyway.

You are so incredibly rude. Clearly your opinion is not something that concerns anyone, sunshine.

I'm assuming by "sunshine" you were referring to the person that actually posted the comment you quoted... not ME (sunnshhiine)...?

Haha yes! I actually just posted something similar to this and got a very rude and unfriendly response...so I'm angry FOR you. People think that it's okay to be rude just because they find something that works for them--apparently it HAS to work for you too. I just like to ask questions...didn't know that it was such a bad thing! lol
  • GlassAngel
    Options
    I used to think appetite suppressants were a bad idea. And I think some people use them the wrong way. But I would be in tears trying to limit my calories and just could not stop being hungry. It's not normal, being hungry all the time, especially when I eat a high-protein, lots-of-veggies diet. I would eat a gigantic meal from Olive Garden or something, and be sick to my stomach because I was so full, and STILL feel like I needed to keep eating.

That's why my doctor put me on Phentermine and Prozac together. He asked me to read Dr. Michael Anchors' book "Safer than Phen-Fen!" about how taking Prozac (or another SSRI) with Phentermine is much safer than Phen-Fen, and the SSRI keeps the effects of the Phentermine working (instead of the usual way it gets weaker and then stops working).

By the way, I'm totally not an an advertisement for any appetite suppressants. Just wanted to share my thoughts because a lot of people are attacking the OP for her choices, and we don't want to do that. Especially when you don't know her situation.

I've been on this regime for a week now, and it's brought me to tears-- in a different way. I've been at (or even under!) my calorie goal every day! And I don't think about food constantly anymore. It's like an actual lifesaver for me. I'm already losing weight. As Dr. Anchors' book explains, there is an imbalance in some peoples' bodies that make it impossible for them to stop feeling hungry. This medication fixes that.

Bottom line: don't judge, because we've all been judged and it sucks. Help the girl out with her question if you know the answer-- otherwise, she didn't really ask for an opinion. :)
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Since I have an appetite the size of Russia I take appetite suppressants...

Right now I am taking OxyElite Pro which work great for me! LET ME ALSO NOTE: I eat 1300+ calories a day (I'm 25, 137 lbs, 5'3") -- just so we're clear that I'm not taking these supplements as a way to starve myself without "feeling" hunger pains. However, it does help me not "binge" eat or stuff my face with chocolate on stressful days -- simply because it restricts my appetite.

I guess I'm curious about Healthe Trim -- has anyone else taken this and did it work for you? I hear alot about it on the radio, so my curiousity is peeked. Also, if you DID take it, did you take the one with green coffee bean in it or the raspberry keytones one?

It's been my experience that the appetite suppressants you have mentioned are not effective.

The one thing that has worked for me is increasing my protein and fats. I also increased my caloric intake so that I will loose one pound each week. It really causes me to be full. I don't have hunger pains at all.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options

Haha yes! I actually just posted something similar to this and got a very rude and unfriendly response...so I'm angry FOR you. People think that it's okay to be rude just because they find something that works for them--apparently it HAS to work for you too. I just like to ask questions...didn't know that it was such a bad thing! lol

Show me all the credible research that indicates that diet pills are a viable method of long-term weight management. I'll wait.
  • JustMeee333
    Options

I suspect there in lies the problem. You are probably lacking in fats and protein. I don't know your weight, but most women need around 120g's of protein (give or take your lean body mass) and fats should probably be around 40g's. Now if you are eating a ton of beans, legumes and other protein sources, then you are on a right track. Also, there is no need to be concerned with sugar (fruit or otherwise) as your body processed it like a carb.

I've seen this man talk a whole lot of sense of these boards, so his ideas are well worth listening to.

Personally, I'm not judging you for wanting to take them, whatever that's your prerogative, but I am against them if you haven't tried every other method going FIRST, and if you post on a message board you're open to everyones opinion and/or criticism, and not just those who agree with you, that's just life I'm afraid.

We've all been there; with unsatiable appetites, that's what made us overweight in the first place, but following the right diet/regime for you personally your body will gradually adapt, and you won't feel so ravenous all of the time.
  • marilynx
    marilynx Posts: 128 Member
    Options

X(

Could you not knock what you clearly don't understand. Research shows that vegetarians tend to have better blood work overall compared to meat eaters. I personally was vegetarian for 3 years before I became pregnant, and during that time I was the healthiest I've ever been. Just because something works for you doesn't make it scientifically sound for everybody else.

Now, as far as appetite suppressants being effective, they're supposed to be used in a short term fashion to lead to better eating habits. For example, one of my family members was on a DOCTOR PERSCRIBED appetite suppressant for 2 months. They followed a workout plan as well as a dietary plan. After 2 months they were slowly weaned off them so they could adjust and maintain their habits. Now, they are much smaller and can maintain the loss. The problems comes from people not following the plan formed by the healthcare professional, or they don't tackle the reasons why they seem to be hungry all the time.

Honestly it doesn't matter what anybody thinks about this woman's decision to use them. As long as she's smart about it and understands they point of them, then she will be ok.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    I used to think appetite suppressants were a bad idea. And I think some people use them the wrong way. But I would be in tears trying to limit my calories and just could not stop being hungry. It's not normal, being hungry all the time, especially when I eat a high-protein, lots-of-veggies diet. I would eat a gigantic meal from Olive Garden or something, and be sick to my stomach because I was so full, and STILL feel like I needed to keep eating.

That's why my doctor put me on Phentermine and Prozac together. He asked me to read Dr. Michael Anchors' book "Safer than Phen-Fen!" about how taking Prozac (or another SSRI) with Phentermine is much safer than Phen-Fen, and the SSRI keeps the effects of the Phentermine working (instead of the usual way it gets weaker and then stops working).

By the way, I'm totally not an an advertisement for any appetite suppressants. Just wanted to share my thoughts because a lot of people are attacking the OP for her choices, and we don't want to do that. Especially when you don't know her situation.

I've been on this regime for a week now, and it's brought me to tears-- in a different way. I've been at (or even under!) my calorie goal every day! And I don't think about food constantly anymore. It's like an actual lifesaver for me. I'm already losing weight. As Dr. Anchors' book explains, there is an imbalance in some peoples' bodies that make it impossible for them to stop feeling hungry. This medication fixes that.

Bottom line: don't judge, because we've all been judged and it sucks. Help the girl out with her question if you know the answer-- otherwise, she didn't really ask for an opinion. :)

Thank. You. So. Very. Much. :flowerforyou:
  • sunnshhiine
    Options

Agreed. Thanks for your kindness.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options

X(

Could you not knock what you clearly don't understand. Research shows that vegetarians tend to have better blood work overall compared to meat eaters. I personally was vegetarian for 3 years before I became pregnant, and during that time I was the healthiest I've ever been. Just because something works for you doesn't make it scientifically sound for everybody else.

Now, as far as appetite suppressants being effective, they're supposed to be used in a short term fashion to lead to better eating habits. For example, one of my family members was on a DOCTOR PERSCRIBED appetite suppressant for 2 months. They followed a workout plan as well as a dietary plan. After 2 months they were slowly weaned off them so they could adjust and maintain their habits. Now, they are much smaller and can maintain the loss. The problems comes from people not following the plan formed by the healthcare professional, or they don't tackle the reasons why they seem to be hungry all the time.

Honestly it doesn't matter what anybody thinks about this woman's decision to use them. As long as she's smart about it and understands they point of them, then she will be ok.

Thank you. And that's the truth -- no one knows my health history and the great struggles I've been through. No one knows the surgeries and treatments, the steroids, the countless pain meds, the hormones, and everything else that has put my body through medical hell. So thank you for being gracious in your responses and actually answering my question -- versus beating me over the head with your opinions and intolerance.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options

Show me all the credible research that indicates that diet pills are a viable method of long-term weight management. I'll wait.

relax. seriously. no one ever said that they're a "viable method of long-term weight management" -- but in the short run as a boost to get going, they're helpful. If you don't want to take them, don't take them. Your life is just that...YOUR life. so relax and stop trying to force your methods and opinions and judgement on everyone else. please and thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that every time I scroll past this thread I think of the Babylon 5 episode " A Distant Star":

[arguing over a 'food plan' given by Dr. Franklin]
    Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova: I'll *gain* weight!
    Dr. Stephen Franklin: At first, yes.
    Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova: Fine! All my life I've fought against imperialism; now *I'm* the expanding Russian frontier!
    Dr. Stephen Franklin: Yes, but with very nice borders.

And now I know what I'm doing this weekend...digging out Bab 5. Hello old friend, it's been awhile.