Running - Tone down em' big mamma thighs?!

Options

Replies

• JenniferMuriel
    JenniferMuriel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I second this- squats and lunges... After doing years of what 'I' thought were good squats, my body sculpt instructor at the gym showed me just how low one has to go to get a GOOD SQUAT! wow. 5 burned, 10 hurt, 15 made me realize I had a long way to go but I had learnt the secret!
  • Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am bigger in the thighs, inner, outer, butt. I am a pear. I have been doing Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 and this is the slimmest my legs have been in awhile. I can actually see a difference as opposed to measuring. They are firmer, when I lose more weight I want to run, it just isn't comfortable now. I think strength training is your best option, and it takes awhile. I have been doing RI30 for 5 weeks and I am starting to notice. Don't give up!!
  • JenniferMuriel
    JenniferMuriel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    exactly, we can't change our body shape- pear, apple, straight , inverse triangle... but we can change the size and tone!
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Rollerblading/skating uses lots of thigh muscle! That or you could go Suzanne Somers route ;-)
  • VeryBerryRosie
    Options
    I've had big thighs since always. My father used to say that I inherited my grandfather's legs. All the outdoor stuff and swimming didn't help either. Or, well, it did...sometimes I think I could join the Russian women's olympic team, lol. My butt on the other hand is very lean so I have some balance. I would like tone rather than bulk. For me, I have to work my legs.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Fat cannot be reduced in a particular spot, by doing a particular exercise. This is called "spot reduction", and it's a fitness myth. In fact, exercise doesn't do anything to "slim you down" anyways. It only burns calories.

Fat distribution is genetic, and as you loose weight (which is cumulative throughout your body), you loose it in different places at different times. You may store it in your legs, I store it around my abdomen... this means it will be the last place to go lol I just need to keep loosing weight, and it will be gone once I hit my target BF%.

Buy a book, I would suggest "New Rules of Lifting for Women".
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I went from following a weight program to training for a half marathon. In the 5 months since I've been running, I've only lifted sporadically. When I do go back to the gym to lift, it's almost as if I have to start at the beginner weight levels again.

I feel that running has made me more muscularly weak and also more flabby while my cardiac endurance is awesome.

If you plan on running or doing lots of cardio for your primary exercise, I suggest you get in as much protein as possible in order to maintain as much lean body mass as possible. Protein recommendations are anywhere from 1 gram per pound of lbm and no less that .6 gram per pound. I have problems getting in enough protein and I believe this is where I went wrong.

Also know that you can't spot reduce. If you focus your workouts on just your legs and butt...those parts will likely get bigger not smaller as a result of you gaining strength in those areas. And don't freak out about initial gains that could just be water retention from shocking muscles with new exercises. Sometimes its taken me over a month of following a new plan before i saw that water drop off.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    I went from following a weight program to training for a half marathon. In the 5 months since I've been running, I've only lifted sporadically. When I do go back to the gym to lift, it's almost as if I have to start at the beginner weight levels again.

I feel that running has made me more muscularly weak and also more flabby while my cardiac endurance is awesome.

If you plan on running or doing lots of cardio for your primary exercise, I suggest you get in as much protein as possible in order to maintain as much lean body mass as possible. Protein recommendations are anywhere from 1 gram per pound of lbm and no less that .6 gram per pound. I have problems getting in enough protein and I believe this is where I went wrong.

Also know that you can't spot reduce. If you focus your workouts on just your legs and butt...those parts will likely get bigger not smaller as a result of you gaining strength in those areas. And don't freak out about initial gains that could just be water retention from shocking muscles with new exercises. Sometimes its taken me over a month of following a new plan before i saw that water drop off.

Lifting a bit can help you maintain the muscle you have too. Protein intake alone won't spare your muscle from geting catabolized as a result of your cardio. Maybe do a heavy full body routine once or twice a week. Just do bench, squat, deadliftt, and ohp.
  • BOLO4Hagatha
    BOLO4Hagatha Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind my thighs being big, but if only they were smoother (i.e. less cellulite and dimples lol). But oh well, one day at a time.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Fat cannot be reduced in a particular spot, by doing a particular exercise. This is called "spot reduction", and it's a fitness myth. In fact, exercise doesn't do anything to "slim you down" anyways. It only burns calories.

Fat distribution is genetic, and as you loose weight (which is cumulative throughout your body), you loose it in different places at different times. You may store it in your legs, I store it around my abdoment... this means it will be the last place to go lol I just need to keep loosing weight, and it will be gone once I hit my target BF%.

I can't believe it took an entire page before someone finally pointed out you can't spot reduce.
  • FrnkLft
    Options

Fat distribution is genetic, and as you loose weight (which is cumulative throughout your body), you loose it in different places at different times. You may store it in your legs, I store it around my abdomen... this means it will be the last place to go lol I just need to keep loosing weight, and it will be gone once I hit my target BF%.

I can't believe it took an entire page before someone finally pointed out you can't spot reduce.

ROFL!!! Right? I was freaking out going down the line looking for someone who might have posted this lol :drinker:
  • katertater22
    Options
    Amen girl, this is what I needed to hear!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Add some lunges, squats and deadlifts with heavy weights....helps A LOT!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Yeah pretty much you need to be in a caloric deficit to lose and the weight will come off where it comes off.....it took a damn long time for it to really start coming off my lower body but for me, running did help a great deal. I think more because of the burn than actually running, TBH. I have had the best success with being consistent with a solid strength training program, running, and being diligent with my diet and deficit.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    & always eat exercise calories!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

ROFL!!! Right? I was freaking out going down the line looking for someone who might have posted this lol :drinker:
    [/quote]

Yes yes yes!!! Lol!!!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Yeah pretty much you need to be in a caloric deficit to lose and the weight will come off where it comes off.....it took a damn long time for it to really start coming off my lower body but for me, running did help a great deal. I think more because of the burn than actually running, TBH. I have had the best success with being consistent with a solid strength training program, running, and being diligent with my diet and deficit.

See her? She has thighs (not skinny, but soooo shapely!) and she's sexy as h3ll!

Lucky woman!!!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

See her? She has thighs (not skinny, but soooo shapely!) and she's sexy as h3ll!

Lucky woman!!!

:blushing: Thank you my friend :flowerforyou:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Right? LOL
  • runningincognito
    Options
    Running combined with good nutrition gave me fantastic legs and a trim tummy. Long distance running can give you a flat behind if your genetics are geared that way. I lift weights and do tons of lunges and squats to combat flat bootie syndrome. :)