Need soup recipes!

Options
zsgirl1218
zsgirl1218 Posts: 85 Member
Ok I'm on a budget and I kno that making soup for my family will feed us for at least two meals. Any ideas of what to make? I'm a pro at chicken noodle soup! But it's getting boring.

Replies

• mmstone13
    mmstone13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash soup is cheap, easy, and healthy....especially considering the low price of squash right now. Google recipes, there are tons out there. I always swap the cream or cream cheese with some skim milk and laughing cow cheese....
  • zsgirl1218
    Options
    I wonder if I can hide the fact that it's squash... My family's so picky. I'm the only adventurous eater lol
  • mmstone13
    mmstone13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't taste like squash...it is a sweeter soup, despite being packed full of vegetables! This is the recipe I used from all recipes with modifications: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/butternut-squash-soup/

I also sauteed carrots and celery. and I added some mushroom and pepper. Its a really adaptable recipe for whatever veggies you have in your fridge. again, i don't use cream or cream cheese...just substitute for skim milk and/or laughing cow cheese. I imagine you could use yogurt as well.

It is a very thick creamy soup. If you like "stuff" in your soup, just reserve some of the sauteed veggies rather than blending them all.
  • Buckeyegirlbritt
    Options
    Butternut squash. It's easy.
  • trina_dawn85
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/12/stuffed-pepper-soup.html stuffed red pepper soup its so good. i love this website also for recipes that are healthy and my family enjoys them all.
  • trina_dawn85
    Options
    this is my fav butter nut squash soup recipe. even my 5 year old daughter likes it. give it a try your family just might like it :)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/10/butternut-squash-soup-with-sage-1-ww-pt.html

also this website has a lot of really good soup recipes. check it out. you will find a link of all her soup recipes on the right hand side of her home page.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of my "remakes" that are really delicious with good calorie counts & protein!

Tomato Basil Soup:

Dei Fratelli - Crushed Tomatoes-All Natural, No Salt Added, 4 container (3 3/10 cups ea.)
    Domino - Granulated Sugar-1 Teaspoon, 1 tsp
    Basil Leaf, Fresh - Generic, 70 leaves
    the Spice Hunter - Grill Shakers - Roasted Garlic, 2 tsp
    the Fresh Market - Sea Salt Spice Grinder, 0.5 tsp
    Spice - Cracked Black Pepper, 0.75 tsp
    Land O' Lakes - Traditional Half & Half, 8 tbsp (1/2 cup)
    Kraft - Natural Shredded Parmesan Cheese, 1.5 container (1 1/2 cups ea.)

Per 2 Cup Serving: calories 318 / fat 12 / carbs 33 / protein 20 / fiber 8

I'm one of those cooks who dumps & tastes & add some more with spices, so those are a guesstimate. My suggestion is to not add salt, until after you've added the cheese & then salt to taste. Saute the onions & garlic in olive oil, then add the rest, except for the 1/2 & 1/2. I just chiffonade the basil into small strips, so you don't have to blender the soup when you're done. I usually simmer the entire pot for an hour or longer, then add the 1/2 & 1/2 right at the end. It is absolutely delicious!!!

Doc's Chicken "Tortilla-less" Soup:

1 TBSP olive oil
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
    1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, no added sodium
    8 oz. chicken breast, shredded
    1 can Goya pinto bean, light (thoroughly rinse to decrease sodium)
    1-1/3 cups corn, frozen
    1 tsp sea salt
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp red pepper
    1 TBSP cumin

*I use rotisserie chicken stipped from the carcass & chopped, it adds tons of wonderful flavor & make prep really easy!

Saute onions & garlic in olive oil. Add the remainder of ingredients & simmer for 30 minutes. Once again, I often add some extra cumin or a a little chili powder, as I like some heat. May add garnishes such as avocado, tortilla strips & cheese. (Note: garnishes are NOT included in calorie count.) Serving size: 1 cup.

Nutrition Info/cup: calories 141 / fat 3 / carbs 17 / protein 12 / fiber 5

I usually serve a 2 cup serving (double the calorie info) & add a little 2% Mexican Cheese mix & some fresh avocado cubes. You really don't need the tortilla strips, as the corn gives you the same flavor. A 2 cup serving is incredibly filling! If you want to add more for your hubbie or kids, serve with chips & fresh homemade guacamole, or make them a cheese quesadilla.

**I love the taste of fire-roasted tomatoes, so I use those, instead of plain tomatoes (I believe it's Hunt's brand). My sister has changed my recipe up a bit, and replaces the tomatoes with a jar of salsa, adds a whole jalapeño (remove at the end) & the juice of one lime. Both of our families love the soup & ask for it often!

Now, if I could just find a healthy way to make my Creamy Corn Chowder--still working on that one!
  • Mongognom
    Mongognom Posts: 123
    Options
    http://84thand3rd.com/2011/07/28/spicy-carrot-tomato-and-lentil-soup/

This is my go to end of the month and no money soup. I have a batch of it in the freezer at all time. It's cheap, filling and can be as spicy or not as you want and if you run it through the blender and add a tablespoon of sour cream or plain yogurt it looks more expensive then it is.
  • rosieknowsme
    Options
    Thai Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup

1/2 big pumpkin (cost me £2 for the lot, can use it for 2 meals), de-seeded and cut into wedges
    1 large sweet potato
    4 cloves garlic
    2 tsps of thai seasoning
    1-2 thin slice scotch bonnet chilli (optional)
    Vegetable stock to cover

Roast pumpkin at 200 celcius for 30-40 mins, leave to cool and peel skin off, add to slow cooker, peel and chop potato add to slow cooker with spice, stock, garlic and chilli if wanted. Cook until sweet potato is cooked. Blitz with hand blender, add more stock if needed.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    If you want to start easy on your variations, you could just take the stock and cooked chicken but omit the noodles and veggies you current use to do variations like

Egg-lemon: I like to use thin egg noodles, fresh lemon juice (one or two lemons for four servings, I think, depending on your taste), and a beaten egg that you stir in to cook at the end (I think I'd use two for soup for four). Sometimes I add fresh or dried mint. Molly Katzen did something similar in "The Enchanted Brocolli Forest" but with brown rice or barley instead of pasta, and topped with minced parsley, chives, yogurt/sour cream/heavy cream, and/or chopped hard-boiled egg.

Hot and sour soup (yes, it's supposed to be pork, but who's going to know?): add fresh or rehydrated dried mushroom (****aake if you can get), cubed tofu if your family will eat it, a little soy sauce, hot oil (you can make your own if your store doesn't have it by infusing sesame oil or a nut oil if you can't get sesame with dried chilis), and vinegar (red wine vinegar will work fine); add a beaten egg or two at the end to the hot broth. If you want and can find them, you can add dried fungus (black fungus, cloud ear -- it goes by different names), dried tofu "skin" (it's almost paper thin sheets I assume are sliced off the blocks of tofu before drying), and dried lily blossoms, but it's fine without them.

Armenian chicken and lentil soup (I got this from a newspaper years ago, and they got it from "The Chicken Soup Book" by Janet Hazen): saute onion, garlic, sesame seeds, coriander, cumin, paprika, mace, and cayenne (I think if your family doesn't care for some of those you could just leave out the ones they object to); add lentils, chicken stock, and minced dried apricots; cook until lentils are done; add cooked chicken and lemon juice.

Just add chopped greens (kale, collards, turnip -- I also like escarole) to the chicken stock and chicken, with or without cooked lentils or beans of your choice.

Add dried oats instead of noodles and leeks instead of other veggies.

Cook potatoes, carrots, leeks, herbs of your choice (e.g., thyme, parsley) and add the chicken stock. Do something else with the chicken (chicken salad? chicken burritos on another night? in a casserole?).

Departing from the chicken stock/chicken base, bean and lentil soups are another inexpensive option, and you can do all kinds of variation there. Also, if you stick bits of leftover meat (especially ham, bacon or sausages) in the freezer during the month that isn't enough for another meal, or that you're afraid might go bad before you eat it, you can pull that out at the end of the month and toss it in the soup pot with the beans. I like to use bay leaves when I'm cooking beans; it gives them a sort of wine-like flavor, to me. Leftover root veggies and roasted winter squash can be mashed up, frozen, and then defrosted and thinned with the chicken stock to desired soup consistency; add a little milk or cream if desired; and saute some onions and/or garlic in pot before you start.
  • zsgirl1218
    Options
    Ohhhhh those all sound yummy!!!!! I want to try them all
  • lyn1870
    lyn1870 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Zuppa Tuscana Soup

1 lb ground italian sausage
    2 large russet potatoes peeled and chopped
    1 onion
    bacon bits
    2 cloves of garlic
    2 cups kale
    2 cans of chicken broth
    1 quart of water
    1 c heavy cream (coconut cream)

brown sausage
    boil potatoes
    cook all ingredients together until boiling then turn to simmer and add kale
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    bump
  • renatewolfe
    renatewolfe Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Try Pinterest. It is full of great, budget, healthy soup recipes! We love taco soup, chicken chili, chicken corn chowder, chili made with lean ground beef, 15 bean soup, lentil soup, chicken or vegetable barley soup to name a few.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Chicken Tortilla Soup

Saute 1 large onion, diced, in 4T olive oil, til softened. Saute 1T minced garlic for an additional minute.
    Stir in: 2c salsa of choice, 2 15oz cans fire roasted tomatoes, 2T cumin, 1T oregano, chili powder to taste, 2Q chicken stock, 2 small cans evaporated FF milk
    Bring to a simmer
    Add in enough chicken to make your family happy...for us its 4 large chicken breasts, whole...and simmer til chicken is done.
    Remove chicken and shred. Run soup through a food processor, use a stick blender, or a regular blender til the soup is smooth. Return chicken to the pot.
    Serve soup with whatever garnishes flot your boat: diced tomato, avocado, shredded cabage, shredded radishes, tortilla strips, cheese, etc. I usully make cheese quesadillas to go with it on the side...tomato soup and cheese sandwiches Mexican style!

Makes about 12 cups of soup
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I have some soup recipes on my hobby (not selling) cooking blog at http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/category/soup/

The first one on the list is an easy "creamed soup basic formula" which you can turn into almost anything.

I second what everybody says about butternut squash soup. To easily prepare the squash, I poke a couple holes in it with a fork, wrap it in foil, set it in a dish to catch any drippings, and bake it for an hour or so at anywhere from 300F to 400F. When a fork pokes through it easily, it's done. Then cool in the foil. Refrigerated, it will keep in this state for a day or two. Cut in half lengthwise and scope out the seeds and stringy stuff. The meat will scoop out of the skin almost as easily as an avocado.

The cooked squash can then be used in a variety of ways or tossed in the freezer for later use. If you really think your family will balk at the squash but they like pumpkin pie, make a squash pie and slowly convert them to thinking butternut squash is a real treat.
  • stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    My favorite is potato soup and I love the Pioneer Woman's version.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/01/perfect-potato-soup/

I made this last night with a side of cheesy garlic bread. Changes that I make because she does not cook the healthiest. I don't add extra salt, instead of 8 cups of broth I do 2 cups of broth and 6 cups of water, and I do not add the heavy cream at the end. When I get to the seasoning part I do the black pepper and cajun seasoning she suggest. I also add a little bit of garlic salt to taste at that point and Watkins Lemon Peel. If i don't have fresh parsley I will just use dried. And I just put all the bacon back in the pot at the end instead of putting on individual bowls. I add cheese to the kids, but do not for mine all the time.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Yummy Pea Soup

1 onion, chopped
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    1-2 tbsp olive oil

heat stock pot and add oil, add onion & celery and saute over low-med flame for about 5 minutes

4-5 carrots (I like a lot of carrots), diced
    thyme, dried ( not sure exactly how much I guess 1 tsp.)
    add carrots and thyme and continue to saute another 2-3 minutes, stir frequently to avoid too much browning

1 bag goya or jack rabbit or whatever green split peas (I think it's 16 oz)
    2 boxes veggie stock or bouliion cubes mixed with water

add peas and broth and turn flame to high to bring to a boil. Then cover and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 and a half hours. You will know its done when everything starts to break down and the peas are soft. You can add some water as you go if you think it needs some.