What do you do if you are a sugar craver?

Options

Replies

• AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the responses so may be repeating but! I too have a crazy sweet tooth.

I stopped drinking pop - except occasionally as a treat - but never at home. This alone caused a bunch of weight to just fall off.

I rarely have any sweets in the house because I will devour them in the evening. If I'm desperate for sweetness I'll have yogurt or fruit at home.

I can't go cold turkey so I do allow myself treats most days, but I factor them into my calories. Sometimes in the afternoon at work I will go to the cafeteria and get a cookie, or have a couple of dark chocolate squares. If someone at work has a birthday and someone brings in cake (or more recently, cheesecake, yummm) I will have a small slice. I know I won't stick with it if I feel deprived especially when everyone else is partaking. But again, I try to keep within my calories.

I used to eat gummy candies all the time, but I've pretty much cut those out except occasionally as a treat a few times a year - like if I go on a road trip or something. It is way too easy to eat the whole bag, and they really have no nutritional value and are pretty much just sugar and chemicals. They still call to me from the aisles at the store but it gets easier and easier to walk on by as time goes on.

I also found eating dinner later helped control my dessert urge.

I hope some of this helps!
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Apples do it for me. They are sweet and have fiber which counters the issue that your brain has with sugar. It works for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

The above link "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" shows some fruits although have fructose they also have fiber which help controls the insulin production in your body. In short:A cookie does not have this fiber and does not help control insulin. A cookie is worse for you than fruit because of it.

The sugar Chemistry lesson starts at min 45. Fructose chemistry starts at 56 min. Fructose raises uric acid at min 59. Uric acid linked to hypertension around 59 min. 107 min Brain thinks it's starving due to Fructose. 113 min sugar with fiber (Fruit ) is better. FDA will not regulate Fructose (Chronic Toxin) min 124.
    Min 127 summary and symptoms.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Eat sugar in moderation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I usually pound some DD's munchkins and a huge chocolate chip cookie. Oh wait, that was just today. I eat sugar in moderation (usually).
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    My trouble has always been my sweet tooth. I love healthy food--whole grains, veggies, fruit, lean meat, milk, etc., and I am not as tempted by salty or fried foods or even fast food, but I do LOVE sweets--chocolate, gummy candy, hard candy, etc. I really feel this is a molecular issue for some people of foods you can be addicted to.

When i was growing up, my mom did not allow sugary cereal, desserts, or anything else, but when I was little, I found her to be a closet sugar eater, and I became one as well.

I've found a few things that help--eating well and not feeling hungry, planning ahead, eating dark chocolate dusted almonds, eating fruit or yogurt after a meal, etc. But I still crave sweets.

Any ideas?

just one that comes to mind...is there a history of Diabetes in your family or do you have any other markers?
    If so, I would have my blood sugar checked.

if this is not your issue, it's a matter of replacing old habits with new ones...it takes time and baby steps help to make it easier.

ETA: people who eat low carb diets also report a decrease in sugar cravings, that may help too
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Go cold turkey for a little while to allow circulating glucose levels and therefore cravings to fall.

Then learn how to incorporate them back into your diet in appropriate servings for long term sanity.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I would agree with msf74 - I had to go cold turkey for a few weeks in order to break my addiction to sugar.

Now, I will splurge with a piece of (really) dark chocolate every once in awhile. I also keep 15 calorie sugar-free popsicles in my freezer and I'll have one/day. The fake sugar is terrible, but I'd rather have a tiny bit of fake sugar than binge on something worse. You can also try stevia in hot tea - blueberry tea with a dash of stevia tastes like blueberry pie to me. The Tazo apple cinnamon is also delicious with a little stevia. Good luck!
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Me too... I eat sweat fruits..... so much that i am full, and dont even crave the sweet junks..... works for me, maybe u can try it. Ohhhhhh... almost forgot.....i set aside a day to have my sweets.... One day, Sunday Ice cream.........yummmmm maybe you can try that... have less each day, add some sweet fruit and see how it works. ALl the best :)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I would agree with msf74 - I had to go cold turkey for a few weeks in order to break my addiction to sugar.

Now, I will splurge with a piece of (really) dark chocolate every once in awhile. I also keep 15 calorie sugar-free popsicles in my freezer and I'll have one/day. The fake sugar is terrible, but I'd rather have a tiny bit of fake sugar than binge on something worse. You can also try stevia in hot tea - blueberry tea with a dash of stevia tastes like blueberry pie to me. The Tazo apple cinnamon is also delicious with a little stevia. Good luck!

What kind of sugar free popsicles?
    I've been looking for additional SF treats, the jello is getting old :laugh:
  • patrnbabe
    Options
    Other people eat, and I gain weight....or so it seems. I figure it took years to pack on the pounds. It's ok if it takes years to come off. I'm more concerned with re-training my eating habits for life. I'm not in a hurry to lose weight fast, so I'm not on a very restrictive calorie limit (5' 10" & 1574 cal/day). There's room in my regular calorie allotment for dessert. I refuse to face life without it.

As far as controlling sugar intake, two things have really helped me. 1. Eating foods that keep my blood sugar steady / level for long periods of time for my main caloric intake. 2. Eating FULL FAT desserts. I am satisfied with a small/single portion of a full fat dessert. Low fat/sugar free/low sugar stuff just makes me want to eat more and more and more without ever feeling satisfied.

With lunch, I pack 24 dark chocolate M&M's (I know, not the best quality chocolate out there) in a tiny container and that is it. Dessert with lunch. Serious dark chocolate in the "stress drawer" of my nightstand helps if I'm dying in the evening.

I don't keep prepared treats in the house. If I really want it, I have to get up and make it from scratch. Hubby is a sugar addict, but he's slim and in excellent shape. Thankfully what he likes, I don't, so it's easy to walk on by without having any.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I usually pound some DD's munchkins and a huge chocolate chip cookie. Oh wait, that was just today. I eat sugar in moderation (usually).

ZOMG the sprinkle ones- I can't help myself- I adore them. They are so amazing- I have no idea- but the halloween ones- they make me so happy.

and a latte- or a chai tea- not sure why I'm obsessed with those lately- but I am.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm with the work it in crowd. I'm not giving up cookies or ice cream ever. So I work it in to my daily goal. I have it at the end of the day and I feel satisfied and I don't feel deprived. Works GREAT. :)
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Fasting aside, I do also limit my sugar to only so many times a week. I find that helps immensley. Delaying gratification just makes whatever it is taste that much better.

IF does break the addiction, though, and quickly. Only took a week for me, of 2 fasts. No more cravings.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love sweet foods and I have some every day, pretty much. I just stay under my calories.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead to have ice cream every single night of your life, like I do (with some exceptions to make room for other stuff).

+1

People ask me how much I have lost, I say around 50 lbs. They ask, how did you do it, I tell them, eating ice cream every night. I usually get a blank stare.
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, major sugar cravings used to derail me! It's taken a loooooong time, but I've learned to battle back at these sugar cravings. A lot of it has to do with willpower, but also just moderation. I've learned that eating just a small amount of something has the same satisfaction level as eating the whole thing. Instead of eating a plate full of cookies, I'll have a couple. Or I make a lot of subsitutions. Frozen yogurt for ice cream, Thinsations instead of real oreos... that sort of thing.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I am also a sugarholic/chocaholic :happy:

But a few things that seem to help me are:
    1. Including good fats at every meal - increases the satiety factor, so I don;t get those cravings
    2. Having some organic 85% cocoa bars (Green & Black) everyday, so that i don;t feel deprived and binge later on.
    3. Have one splurge dessert (for me its more chocolate - Chocolate Therapy by Ben&Jerry with a warm brownie,oohhh) on weekend.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    eat said sugar
  • sedj241
    sedj241 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have/had the same problem also. This is what I did to break the habit. I went 30 days (1 month) with no sugar (not all sugar). The only sugar I could have is natural sugars (fruits, honey, etc...). After the 30 days I was kind of scared to go back to eating sugar, so I eat it in moderation now. So every year I go 30 days of no sugar in the month of July. Works for me could work for you.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Eat chocolate, log it, fit it into your daily calorie goals. Why deprive yourself?