Better to exercise in morning or at night?

Options
I've been doing them in the morning, but I think it would be better at night, because I tend to eat more after exercise. If I exercise at night, I wouldn't eat because it's already late. Would I burn less calories if I exercise at night?

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I've been doing them in the morning, but I think it would be better at night, because I tend to eat more after exercise. If I exercise at night, I wouldn't eat because it's already late. Would I burn less calories if I exercise at night?

Burning calories is not determined by the time of day (or night) that it is done, it is determined by the amount of effort put in.

There is no better time to exercise, but the best time to exercise is the one that you enjoy the most.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    You can do some fun things with your newly awake hormone levels. but most of that is probably more trouble than it's worth.

I will say that going to sleep hungry is not fun.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    doesn't matter.

do which ever fits in your schedule that is sustainable.

I love working out in the AM- but two things.
    1.) I hate waking up early- I can barely get up at 6 as it is
    2.) I'm STARVING all day- and I tend to over eat.

wait... no three things
    3.) getting to the gym is more efficient at 9 PM for me. (granted I live alone with no SO or kids or anything- so it works for me- also contributes to my barel waking up since i'm there till 11 LMAO)

do whatever is best for you- the timing is kind of irrelevant. if you hate AM workouts- you probably won't stick with it. And you need something you can stick with long term.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Either one is fine - as long as you get it in. Personally, I hate working out in the morning. I've tried it and it just doesn't work for me. I get a great workout done in the evening. Whatever makes you most comfortable.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I like doing it in the morning if I can. But sometimes it is easier to do at night. If I am playing a sport with others, that's more likely to be done in the evening than the early morning hours on a weekday.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of personal preference as far as I'm concerned.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Burning calories is not determined by the time of day (or night) that it is done, it is determined by the amount of effort put in.

There is no better time to exercise, but the best time to exercise is the one that you enjoy the most.
    [/quote]

Dont know where the quote box whent, but ^^THIS

VERY WELL PUT. In slang, it comes out like this: U GOTTA DO U!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Obligatory joke.

If you're not starting at 2:22 am and ending exactly 3 seconds prior to 3:33 am, you're doing it wrong.

Nah you're fine, workout whenever you like. Also, doesn't make a difference if you do it with an empty stomach or not, and it's actually a good thing to eat afterwards, helps with recovery.

Remember there's no difference from what your body needs as an athlete or as someone who wants to loose weight... give your body what it needs. Be healthy.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Just like meal timing doesn't matter, it doesn't matter when you exercise as long as you do it. I personally exercise at night because I can't get up any earlier than 5:30am (the time I get ready for work).
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I prefer it in the morning, first thing i do. Today i had to go out early so did it when i got home around 1pm. Didn't put as much effort in as i normally do. I've noticed it a few times so morning is always better for me. BUT if it has to be done later, i do it later.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I think the best time to work out is whenever you have the most energy and desire to get moving.

I prefer working out in the morning, before my sleepy body knows what I'm doing ;)! Fifteen minutes into the workout, I feel energised and alert.

Usually, I eat a small mini-breakfast before the workout, then always eat breakfast afterwards to stave off the hungries.

I have been known to do a second workout after work if it was a particularly stressful day, just to get rid of energy. Both times seem to work equally well for me.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I do both (well for the last two weeks) I didnt have time to go after work so now I get up at 5:30 and do an hour at home and on Monday and Thursday night I work out in the morning and do a zumba class at night So do what works for you
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when burning calories but it depending on your health, it can affect your blood sugar. I'm pre-diabetic and when I exercise before bed my blood sugar drops too low so that my body release more insulin than needed and when I wake up in the morning and check it, it runs high.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Whenever.

I prefer nights because it is more convenient for me. I am not a morning person at all, and I like arriving at the gym when it has calmed down a little. I hate working out when I feel like I am in the middle of a circus or if I have to compete for a station. Then after the gym, I like to go home, eat, relax and eventually sleep.

There's no magical time where you'll burn more calories. Truly it is all about what you prefer.
  • Korrora
    Options
    I will say that going to sleep hungry is not fun.
    Well, I'm not too hungry at bed, just peckish.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options

This^^

I do it every morning because that is the only time of day that I have time to workout and I like getting it "done and over with" kind thing... even though I do enjoy it... it is just nice not thinking all day that I am going to have to workout after I am done work.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I exercise periodically throughout the day every day. Today for example, I am doing my usual walking which I break up into various distances of between usually 3 to 6 miles. I set no time of the day or duration of exercise due to excessive pain from disability, instead choosing to set a number of mile. I exercise generally 5 or more times a day BUT then again being disabled, I am home to do that.

Time of day is irrelevant, actually doing the exercise is all that counts.
  • punkahontas71
    punkahontas71 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My morning workouts always seem a bit weaker. I feel like my pm workouts I can pump out a little more. I feel like my muscles need all day to warm up. Works for me.:happy:
  • woolnimals
    woolnimals Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm so relieved to read these replies. I've always felt guilty for not being able to drag my butt out of bed in the morning and work out. After 34 years, I think I can finally accept that I'm not a morning person. Exercise in the evening is better than no excercise at all...as far as I'm concerned.

:bigsmile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Would I burn less calories if I exercise at night?

If you are talking about relatively modest amounts of exercise, that's not something you have to worry about, unless you have very unusual eating patterns.