Replies

• Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    There are lots of workouts on Youtube.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    You do not need to spend any money, just walk!
    Survey yourself a route and just walk!
    That is how I lost 100+ pounds.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I would really recommend that you go for a walk .. it is free and healthy. No gym membership required.

Good luck.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Just chipping in to say that I always thought I couldn't afford one, then I looked into things at my local YMCA. They have a low-income membership program for people that don't make a lot of money, for both individuals and families. I went ahead and did it because it was a fraction of the cost of big name brand gyms, and you get all the group classes for free, along with the general gym equipment and pool and stuff.

I agree with everyone else, that if you want it, you'll make it work, but I'm just saying that if you *really* want a gym, look into the Y as an option.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    You don't even have to be creative: walking up mountains (hiking) and walking my dogs is my primary weight loss exercise. In fact if I wasn't doing any weight training, I'd have lost a lot more weight, because I'm trying to gain muscle and not let my calorie deficit become the biggest obstacle to achieving my strength goals.
  • ronit_rai
    ronit_rai Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've never went to gym..if u want to get lean nd mean try bodyweight exercises.
  • jerney623
    jerney623 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever been successful at committing to a gym membership. I have been using my Wii, doing Dance Dance revolution, Wii Fit Plus, and Just Dance; I have been listening to the radio and walking up/down stairs in my home, going for a walk around my neighborhood or during my lunch hour at work. There are lots of fitness items for sale on the Facebook Yard sale groups that people have started up in my local area (basically "virtual" yard sales) or Craigslist has lots of good deals on fitness equipment. Good luck!!
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Circuit training at home. Switch intervals of "air jump rope", the best part is you can't trip on the rope. So, there is no stopping. Switch that up with light weights- even using items around the house- heavy cans, re-cycles milks gallons filled with water, etc.

Personlly, I hula hoop to Hoopnotica videos and Youtube tutorials. It's good for the mind, body and spirit.
  • nordeast_yah
    Options
    Nerdfitness.com FTW.

Or just google for "bodyweight workout" and you'll come up with a metric buttload of stuff that doesn't require anything but motivation and some free time.

The beginner bodyweight workout on nerdfitness is exactly what I used to get started with strength training.

I also started c25k and 100pushups once I had some stamina and strength going.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    go outside.
  • jadesdca
    jadesdca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Get outside and run or walk!! And select different places to run/walk/hike - that way you don't get bored! Get a friend to walk with you a few days a week, and it won't seem like a chore! :)

Good luck!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    herro! Just wanted to get some opinions on great ways to burn when you can't afford a membership.

Run outside. Get a cheap bike and ride outside. Hike in the hills.

When my father emmigrated to North America, he and his buddies would make barbell weights out of fence posts and coffee cans filled with cement.

There's always a way.
  • jnwalker511
    jnwalker511 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do several things just to keep me from getting bored. I walk in the park for an hour or the treadmill, I use the kinect for Xbox and do two workout games( biggest loser and your shape fitness evolved) , zumba DVD and also YouTube different aerobic videos.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Look into Tabata and HIIT. You don't need any equip for that.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    herro! Just wanted to get some opinions on great ways to burn when you can't afford a membership.

I have a bottom of the line treadmill, and it only takes so many weeks of that before I'm bored out of my skull.

Any suggestions?

I don't belong to a gym. I try to leave my car at home and walk everywhere. I walk to work plus walk to local stores. I also hike in a beautiful national park near my house. Walking is great because once you walk somewhere, you're stuck and have to walk back (unlike a treadmill, where you can just get off). I've lost almost 40 pounds this year just walking (and watching my food, of course). You can take up running, too, which doesn't require gym membership, just a good pair of shoes.
  • cgreen4550
    cgreen4550 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    YMCA has an open door policy. You get application online and print it out and include income and if approved you could include your entire household. Apply to one and visit all. Many places have 30 day trials. Have you looked at Planet Fitness they are only $10.00 a month. Best time is when joining fee is waived and that's only certain times of the year. They have a one time $30 fee. They are month to month. Local gyms are usually reasonable. Lastly check Groupon, they had a deal a few weeks ago, I think it was 3 months at a 24 hr fitness center for $20 bucks. Curves also for ladies do 30 days free. Good luck!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    You could not pay me to join a gym. I work long hours away from home and I really dislike being away any more than I am. All of the above posters have offered excellent options. I have an adorable dog who deserves my time. I can walk and hike with her. She enjoys watching on the treadmill and working on my exercise ball.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    you don't need a gym..its a waste of money. go outside and go for a jog.there is alwys something new to see. get a good playlit on your phone/ipod and get out under the big beautiful sky. Do yoga at home,, check out youtube for lots of different exercise ideas. I do swimming but I am in florida, I also walk/jog daily. I do resistance bands for a good weight workout but the yoga and swimming is a full body workout that uses all your muscles. I like chris Freytag's vinyasa yoga.. tae bo is fun too.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Tons of great advice already.

My suggestions are nerdfitness & YAYOG
    Also running, walking, hiking are great too
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Join the military. you wont need a gym

a nice jail sentence could work too.

and both have free food!

Doesn't jail have free healthcare!? I would go with that!

well, yes...i believe it does.

also free buttsecks!

We could finally live together in peace!

*pokes head in* Is there something I should be worried about here? :frown:

As for the OP, tons of great advice given already, but I just have to emphasize Nerd Fitness again. That website is fantastic and he's got some great youtube videos for at home exercises you can do. Definitely invest in some home weights/kettlebells. They are inexpensive and worth it!