HELP! Work out options after surgery.

Options
I need to have a work out that I can do after back surgery. I am still doing physical therapy moves, but I need something that really burns calories. I am only a few months from when I had surgery and need be be cautious.

Thanks!

Replies

• viperk1
    viperk1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. Give your body enough time to properly heal, especially after something like back surgery. Your back is critical in pretty much every land exercise.

If you really do have to do something, then maybe some light swimming, which should be easier on the back.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You really need to be discussing this with your surgeon/doctor, not randoms on an Internet forum. They will know your limitations and abilities far better than we do and will therefore be far less likely to damage your back even further :flowerforyou:

Best of luck with your rehab :)
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am surprised your doc and/or PT isn't having you walk. A lot. After my back surgery I walked as much as I could, up to 35 miles a week. Doing this enabled me to start run/walking again after only 3 months. And I have some hefty hardware in my spine.

Walking is amazing exercise if you walk with purpose.

Talk to your physical therapist about appropriate terrain and speed.
  • lbFighter
    lbFighter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I had a microdiscectomy (L3/L4) in mid-August and am tapering off of physical therapy now. I added cardio workouts last week walking 1.5 miles per day and doing an interval program on the recumbent bike. I love the recumbent bike because it really kicks up my heart rate without putting any strain on my back. In fact, it's more comfortable for me to do 30 minutes on the bike than walk for 30 minutes. Good luck with your recovery!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I need to have a work out that I can do after back surgery. I am still doing physical therapy moves, but I need something that really burns calories. I am only a few months from when I had surgery and need be be cautious.

Thanks!

Would definitely check with the therapist first---can't imagine there is anyone who knows the current condition of your back any better. I would think that you should be able to do some type of cardio--esp something like a recumbent bike or a NuStep if you have access to one. Might not be the most exciting thing--but will certainly do the trick.
  • AccordingtoMeg
    AccordingtoMeg Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have gotten the ok from my therapist, surgeon, and doctor. I need to mix it up. I do walk quite a bit, but I need to add something different that will be okay for my back.

Thanks for the help!