Running; doesn't seem to be getting easier..

Options
2»

Replies

• kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same issue. Then I stopped looking at my watch, and I stopped focusing on the next point. I started looking around at the scenary, enjoying the music I was listening too, etc. When I feel a little tired I slow down but DON'T stop. Just ENJOY the run and when you do finally look at your watch you'll be amazed at how long/far you ran. :smile:
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Also don't worry about speed now. Build up the milage first. Sometimes I feel like I'm barely jogging but then when I'm all done and figure out my average speed it's like 10.5-12 minutes/ mile.
  • courtneysellis
    courtneysellis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Running is the most awesome exercise there is, it is literally the most natural thing. When you feel like you are at that point where you can't go on, just push through it. I read a lot of the advice here and man it is a wealth of knowledge and motivation. We are here for that to keep you going and you will push pass your block before you even realize it, because you are doing way better than you think!! Best of everything to , soon you be hitting some great distance!!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I am surprised no one has told you to SLOW DOWN yet!
    Seriously, you build aerobic capacity by running more and longer at an easy pace (able to hold a conversation without gasping for air). Then, when you have your distance (or more) mastered, you may start thinking about speed.
    Google Arthur Lydiard, he literally wrote the book on it.
  • LucyKreczak
    LucyKreczak Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Interval sessions or hill sprints will help improve your time, they are hard work but you will notice a difference.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement! Its mostly an issue of breathing. I feel so out of breath and my heart rate is just out of control.

Basically what you are saying here is your aerobic fitness sucks.

You need to develop some basic endurance - more miles at a steady, slower pace which you increase incrementally and sensibly over time.

All the cross training and adding higher intensity work might well be doing you a disservice as well. It will tap into your recovery ability and compromise your results.

You want to be a better runner? Spend more time running and par down the other activity. You could find a compromise if you have other goals as well but your progress will be slower and you will simply have to accept that.
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Keep running it will get easier
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you build aerobic capacity by running more and longer at an easy pace (able to hold a conversation without gasping for air). Then, when you have your distance (or more) mastered, you may start thinking about speed.

Exactly right! OP, if you are out of breath and your heart rate is out of control you are running much too fast. I currently run at an 8:30 - 9 min pace for short distances and 10 min for 10-15 miles. I started at a 14 min mile, I was picking my feet up like running, but keeping the speed of a walk. Build endurance first, then speed will start to naturally happen. If you slow it down you may find you are immediately able to do a little more.
  • whiskeyrich
    whiskeyrich Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same issue. Then I stopped looking at my watch, and I stopped focusing on the next point. I started looking around at the scenary, enjoying the music I was listening too, etc. When I feel a little tired I slow down but DON'T stop. Just ENJOY the run and when you do finally look at your watch you'll be amazed at how long/far you ran. :smile:

I agree with this post. Learn to enjoy the activity first, then worry about time and distance. Find a comfortable stride length and speed, and enjoy the scenery.

Just an added thought....are you using high quality running shoes?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Ignore distance. Run by time. If you are running 30 minutes right now, then do that 3 times a week. Next week increase by 5 minutes. Rinse and repeat.
  • Patrick0321
    Patrick0321 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    keep running... don't stop. push yourself through the pain and boredom barrier. It's the only way! Ok, I'm sure others will give suggestions too, but a lot of it is mind over matter. Sounds like no other physiological reason!

The boredom barrier is the main obstacle for me. I get bored so finish my run and then get annoyed, because I know I could of gone further.

If you are are having trouble breathing and need to catch your breath, but feel you still have enough energy in your legs to keep going don't be afraid to walk for a minute or two. You'll be suprised how much longer you can do even after just a minute of walking
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Lift weights!! That's what worked for me. I was averaging 12 min mile and then I started lifting weights and I'm now running a 10 min mile. For weight lifting I do Kelly Coffee Myers DVD's with hand weights. I've seen great results.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options

I tried to run using the walk/run method and it didn't get better. My sister told me not to worry about speed, just pick a landmark like a tree and get there slowly. It looked impossible, but I did get there. I then extended the distances. Slow will get you there for distance- you will breathe so much better. Then the distance without stopping grows, and your speed will get faster.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    keep running, but also understand that a lot of it is simply going to be your natural ability. Some people are natural distance runners and others are not. I am in the not category even though I try...even when I was in the peak of my fitness in the Marine Corps, I was always at the back of the pack and often dead last on our 3 mile PFT runs. Conversely, I was once ranked 3rd in the state of NM in the 100 meter dash and I still hold the record 20 years later for my high school in the pole vault.

My wife is a prime example of natural distance running ability...I've been running for about a year and we did a 5K together back in August...I finished in about 35 minutes and was pushing myself. I trained for months leading up to it and ran several times per week. My wife...she did nothing except go for a couple runs in the two to three weeks leading up to the 5K and smoked smoked 10 minute miles pretty easily....up until those few weeks before, she hadn't run in over a year.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Have a goal distance or total time to run.......but........Slow down, Slow down, Slow down.

Good luck.