P90x, MFP and Calories it says I should eat vs what I burn

Options
I started doing p90x a week ago I have a question for you.So when I setup my profile on here it gave that I should eat about 1290 calories because I selected Sedentary lifestyle since at work at an office. I know that when you do exercise the system gives you those calories. So my question for you is what do you do in order to keep loosing weight and keeping up with your calories. I usually have calories left after doing exercise and eating but I have not lost any weight I actually gained a pound that I had lost.

I guess I just want to make sure that I am doing this correctly and start seeing some progress from all the hard work from p90x.

What am I doing wrong? Any input, Advice or any Suggestions will be appreciated.

Replies

• rhoward66
    rhoward66 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 11 of my second time through P90X. I have always eaten the extra calories earned for the workouts, and I've lost considerable weight. I felt like I needed the extra calories to have the energy to push hard in the workouts. Don't get discouraged if you didn't lose weight in the first week. Drink plenty of water and keep pushing hard every day and you WILL see results!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have done P90X multiple times and am actually doing it now. MFP says I should be eating 1280 calories, and when I factor in the exercise calories, it normally goes up to between 1600-1800 or so. That's the amount that P90X nutrition guide says that I should be eating as well.

The first time that I did P90X, I did not see a huge weight loss because I was not eating enough. I was stubborn and ate only 1200-1500 calories. I was also freakin' exhausted all the time...

The second time that I did it (this was the beginning of 2008) I decided to follow the nutrition plan exactly and eat those 1800 calories. I dropped 10 pounds the first month alone...when I finished, I was 128 pounds. I was wearing a size 6 that was loose and comfy...

When you are doing something as strenuous as P90X, you NEED to eat to fuel your body. Using MFP and adding your exercise calories helps you to know where you should be. I never eat back all of the exercise calories, but I eat a bunch of them. I would be tired and moody without them, and I proved that to myself the first time around.

Also keep in mind that women tend to lose pounds on P90X towards the end of the program rather than the beginning. This is because you are adding a lot of lean muscle to your frame right away. Even though you are losing body fat and you are getting smaller, the weight of the muscle will throw off the reading on the scale. That is why it is crucial to gauge success with more than just your weight on the scale. I like to measure certain areas and see the inches lost, and I also monitor body fat percentage. I also take pictures of myself every 30 days wearing the exact same thing so I can visualize the changes. Pictures taken every 30 days show changes better than the mirror does because when we look at ourselves everyday, we tend to not see the changes we are making.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for the great information that you provided, this was really helpful in understanding how to manage my calories. It gives me motivation to keep going and eat the correct amount of calories, man it would be nice that by the end of my first month I am down 10 lbs or so :) .
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    You're welcome. Good luck with it! I love P90X because Tony seems to make weight lifting more fun with the jokes and all. Besides, I wanna have Dreya's abs, haha!