Beans Beans...

Options
The musical fruit. Sorry, couldn't help myself :D

Starting at the end of November I am going to be taking a 10% pay cut at work (I loose my nightshift differential when I go to days, so it's still so worth it) and I am going to be struggling for cash. I am looking to make beans a main staple in my diet for a varitey of reasons.

1. They are cheap as hell
2. They are high in fiber and have some protein, too
3. It's a non-meat option, which is nice
4. Still cheap as hell
5. They fill you up
6. They are delicious

The problem is I seem to be eating the same thing over and over. Beans and eggs in the morning, and bean chilie for lunch or dinner. I'm looking for some exceptional bean dishes. I'm not a vegetarian so all recipes are welcome! Things that I can bring to work would be nice

Replies

• erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Love me some beans! And a great, GREAT option.

Taco salad. Love black beans tossed in with lettuce, a little sharp cheddar, all the veggies you want to add and topped with ff sour cream and salsa. I also cook up some ground turkey with taco seasoning to throw on there. Endless possibilites with that one. Pinto, kidney and cannelini beans are also good in it.

Three bean salad. Can't remember the the dressing right off, but I think it's a simple oil/vinegar one. Kidney beans, cut green beans and wax beans, green onion and whatever else you want to throw in there marinated in the dressing. Travels well, keeps in the fridge a week or more.

Sausage and beans: cook up your choise of bulk ground or smoked sausage (1/2 to one pound per 1 pound of beans). Make a sauce out of canned diced tomatoes, onions, and garlic, seasone with salt, pepper and sage, stir all together with 1 lb of navy or Northern beans. Serve over your choice of rice. Freezes great.

Red Beans and rice: simmer 1 lb of kidney or small red beans with chopped turkey ham (ok, it's best with a real ham hock, but that's a rare treat!) with a touch of cumin, red pepper and salt and pepper. Add in celery and onions, and some bell pepper if desired. Cook till beans start to break down. serve over your choice of rice.

These are recipes I've been making for years, and I really don't know measurements. Just throw stuff in ;) But a google search will bring a bunch of delicious variations.

That's just off the top of my head. Some ground meat/sausage thrown into ANY bean and simmered, and served over rice, potatoes or cornbread is a hearty meal that travel/freeze well.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Arab cuisine, Lebanese and Egyptian in particular, make good use of beans, lentils and chickpeas. Foul medammes (pronounced fool, but is neither foul nor foolish, just delicious) is a good one.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If you can get them try fava beans. If you're going for canned try the California brand Egyptian recipe. If you can find them dried cook them in a slow cooker overnight with a lot of water (they seem to take more than usual beans and will be messed up if you run out of water) until you can squish them with a fork.

Squish about half with a fork. Top with lemon or lime, salt, pepper, cumin, parsley if you are so inclined and olive oil. I like to add sliced hard boiled eggs, feta cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, and scallions. Eat like a salad. Traditionally this is eaten with pita bread, but I prefer to eat it like a salad.

Lentils are very yummy and cheap as well. We make something like this once a week. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/turkish-red-lentil-soup except that we add lots of veggies to it and puree at the end. I also like to add a bit of garam masala for warmth. I toast whole cumin and mustard seeds in a bit of ghee, blend, and then toss them in there too.

Tuscan white bean soup is awesome as well. White beans, veggies, garlic and fresh basil. I've seen plenty of recipes that use rosemary instead of basil, that's delicious too.

When you get tired of soups try bean dips. I like to bake an eggplant until completely mushy, and then toss it in a food processor with chickpeas, garlic, and a bit of olive oil. Scoop it up with veggie slices. Try eating it in a sandwich the the fava beans and veggies sometime.

I've never tried making my own but veggie burgers are always another idea.
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If you can get them try fava beans. If you're going for canned try the California brand Egyptian recipe. If you can find them dried cook them in a slow cooker overnight with a lot of water (they seem to take more than usual beans and will be messed up if you run out of water) until you can squish them with a fork.

Squish about half with a fork. Top with lemon or lime, salt, pepper, cumin, parsley if you are so inclined and olive oil. I like to add sliced hard boiled eggs, feta cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, and scallions. Eat like a salad. Traditionally this is eaten with pita bread, but I prefer to eat it like a salad.

OOH, this I will be trying! If I can find fava beans. Never had them before!

I personally can't stand garbanzos, except in storebought hummus. I've tried making my own, but it's too... garbanzoey. :) Love lentils, though.
  • surrealistique
    Options
    Oooh! Something I made last night: Black beans, fresh spinach and a little drizzle of ranch. It sounds so simple, but man oh man, I'm going to go make more and bring it for lunch. I'm craving it!

Also, you could make a really good bean salad. At work we make one with lentil beans, black beans, kidney beans and green beans (not even sure if they count lol)
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Lentil curry, lentil taco/burrito filling, black bean empanadas, black bean soup, beans & rice, blender beans (like refried but without the frying)... FALAFEL! There's so much you can do with beans/chickpeas/lentils.

There's a super nutritious and low-cal soup we make, no real recipe but basically it's chicken broth, chicken, tomatoes, a ton of spinach, whatever herbs appeal, and then garbanzos or lentils. Really tasty!
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    Love me some beans... bumpppp
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Recipe @ food.com for Baja Black Beans, Corn and Rice. I love it!

Also I've made a recipe from Thug Kitchen - Basmatic Stuffed Grilled Peppers (beans are mashed and spread in the peppers prior to stuffing them with rice, etc.). I made them in the oven instead of the BBQ.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Beans and greens...lots of recipes online. Lentils work with greens, too. Did anyone mention bean or lentil salads? Baked beans. By the way, try adding a little sour cream to your hummus if you like it creamy. We also enjoy a recipe called "African Nut-Butter Stew" that has beans, rice, sweet potatoes. It calls for almond butter, but peanut butter would work fine. I don't know about the anti inflammatory claims, we just like it. (Search for the recipe with Toronto star in the search line.)
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Natal red kidney bean curry - http://freshfruitandveg.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/natal-red-kidney-bean-curry.html - I use two tins of beans instead of dried, and just add them in at stage 10. I also use a tin of tomatoes rather than fresh ones as I've never found decent cooking tomatoes in this country!
  • cootason
    cootason Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    They are great on a budget and should still help towards you making your goal you might get bored with it and may need to change to something else throughout the day in the same price range. seems you have some solid ideas tho may be considering it myself as money gets tight, flat out keeping up with supplement costs lately.
  • blondie_Kate
    blondie_Kate Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    one tin of beans, plus one tin of carrots, one tin of tomatoes, blend, add herbs you desire, heat through and eat. Yummy soup, low cal, high goodness and about 30p a serving :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Cajun red beans and rice. (actually any beans and rice, with a variety of seasonings)
    Beans are really good in a salad - either added to a leafy salad or just beans and chopped veggies with a vinaigrette.
    Mexican - bean burritos, bean tacos, bean enchiladas, etc.
    Bean soups - lentil soup, black bean soup, split pea soup, any bean is good in soup
    Hummus - the tradional chickpea, but it's also good with other beans, especially black or kidney beans
    Dahl or curry
    And, having lived in southern US I have to mention pinto beans and cornbread. A comfort food favorite.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I created my own version of Taco Bell's Cantina Bowl -
    1/2 cup of rice (I use brown rice)
    1/2 cup of black beans, drained (I used Bush's Reduced sodium, but buying them dry and soaking them is obviously cheaper)
    1/2 c corn (canned, frozen, or fresh, if canned, drain)
    Cooked chicken breast or other meat of choice (pork or beef would be great) - 1/2 cup
    Lettuce - about 1 cup, I use romaine
    Trader Joes - Cilantro Salad Dressing - 2 tbs -This is what might be hard to find. I haven't seen it anywhere but at Trader Joe's.

I make everything ahead, so I put the cooked rice in a microwavable plate or shallow bowl, top with corn, beans, chicken, microwave until hot, top with lettuce and dressing. Yummy hot and cold salad.

I work full time and have 2 kids, and this is very easy to make using canned beans and corn, leftover rice. I just need to make sure I have lettuce on hand.

Taco Bells Version has pico de gallo (chopped tomotoes) and guacamole but I don't like those.
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    What about lentils?
    When I was at college I used to make a vegetarian Shepherds pie (cost about $10 to make and could feed me for a week!) with lentils in it and about 6 other veggies. :)
    Just google it and you'll find several variations of a cheap, easy & filling meal!
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options