Spinning vs Cycling - what's the difference?

Options
OK so I usually jog in the mornings 2 mi's and then i have different cardio/strength toning evening workouts after work... but my knees are starting to bother me so I have to change up joggin for a bit to something else that might burn my problem area well - my thighs+butt.

I understand the best thing for me from other friends that work out may be to try spinning. They say because my legs will be constantly moving and it's not so much hard pounding on my poor knees.

But from what I hear there is a difference between spinning vs cycling? Cycling u sit down on that hard bike chair and SOMETIMES come up in the air (easier), and Spinning u are CONSTANTLY up in the air and hardly ever sit during the class (much harder)... is this true?
Any hard core spinners out there? cyclers? how tone or small have u noticed ur thigh/behind area becoming???

Thanks ahead of time!!!! :)

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I take spin classes 2 times a week. I guess they would be considered "advanced" because it's pretty intense. My instructor incorporates weights and a variety of moves into the classes to keep the sweat pouring! :)

I've also taken cycling classes, and those are more about speeding up in intervals (at least the ones I've been to). Also a good workout, but different than spin.

I have lost 25lbs since Christmas.....my legs are looking amazing and my arms are really toning up. I would highly recommend spinning!!
  • watfamily
    watfamily Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    mn
  • mmklinemm
    mmklinemm Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of a cycling class. "Cycling" typically refers to riding an actual bike on the road, and "spinning" is the class. I LOVE both. But I use them for different things. Cycling relaxes me and gets me out into nature where I can hear the wind and the birds, while giving me a great workout. Spinning works my *kitten* off - literally. :) The instructors at my gym have us coming up and down off the seat, varying the resistance and hand position to work different muscle groups. It's a whole-body workout for me. I'm typically dripping sweat from my nose, elbows, chin, etc. and my shirt is soaked through. Spinning has given me definition in my thighs, arms, and back. I can't say enough good things about it. But, like all exercises/classes, it all depends on how hard you work yourself. There are some people in my classes that look like they're out for an evening stroll - barely breaking a sweat. I figure if I'm going to invest the time and money at the gym I'm going to give it my all every time. Also, I feel like I get a better burn from spinning when I get good and warmed up on the treadmill or elliptical for 10-15 minutes before class.

Hope this helps!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    One is annoying people on the roads and the other is one very loud and annoying person in a dark room.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have never taken a spinning class but I have taken a cycling class. A friend of mine used to teach it for the Team in Training members in the winter time to prep them for when they take it out on the road. The class is nothing like a spinning class (from what I've heard) and it is hard. With the cycling class the focus is more on technique and the proper way to pedal as well as conditioning your legs for the hills and such that you're going to encounter when you do take it out on the road. Unlike a spin class you're not forced to stand up for a certain amount of time. You add the tension based on how you feel and stand up when it gets too hard.

It is by no means an easy class.
  • Ruthaw1961
    Ruthaw1961 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    There are many different type of Spin/Cycle classes. Les Mills RPM is more of an Interval style class. Some speed tracks, some rolling hills, some mountain climbs. In and out of the saddle. The "free-style" cycle classes will vary depending on the instructor and focus of the class. One instructor varies her class weekly from strength (massive hills and climbs) to speed work (varing resistance and rpms to sprints). Some are mostly seated while others are in and out of the saddle. I have never taken a patented "Spinning" class so I cannot comment on those. Love both type of classes and get an awesome workout each time!
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    hahahahah! omg tell me u live in thunder bay! they put in bike lanes last summer, SO ANNOYING!
  • Prefessa
    Options
    Biggest difference...(For Me anyway) spin will help you develop CV fitness....but I found is inferior for loosing weight....Road Cycling will help you loose weight and truely work your core and some upper body because the bike is NOT nailed to the floor.

Some will disagree...but I have been spinning 3-4X a week for 4 years as soon as they change to eastern standard time. I never loose an ounce and most of my spin buddies don't either many have even gained. As soon as they go to daylight savings time I start cycling outdoors and the weight falls off again.

Problems with Spin..

Instructor Dependant...some wil kick your butt, some are so lame you wish the bike would move so you can ride the heck out of there!

Bike is Stationary...Doesn't truely work anything but your legs...even standing doesn't work core and upper body like they claim. In fact standing on a spin bike makes pedaling easier!

They Teach in the DARK.....Bad for Metabolism if you are a morning spinner (Light is needed for Circadian Rythms). Contributes to SAD in Winter.

You Can be a Poser....No measurement systems on a spin bike..so do you really know your RPMs or True Tension?? and when you feel crappy you can coast and cut back.

Boring and Repetative....after 4 years and 3 winters in a row of gaining back ~10 lbs I am Burnt....Bring on Spring!! No two bike rides are the same....Wind, hills, traffic, changing routes keeps it fresh.

I know some of you will disagree with me, and have had great sucess with Spin(Good for you Folks!), but for my body(and pretty much 90+% of my Spin Buddies)....it doesn't do squat....first day on the road cycling I am puffing ....First day back on the spin bike I am crushing the pedals!!

BTW...I spin with a HRM so I know what every workout looks like, what zones I worked in, Calories Burned ect...none of this..."Ok progress to Zone 3, RPE of 8" How many folks know what that really feels like??

Bottom line is instability recruits more muscle! So Spin is inferior to cycling...Rowing machines are inferior to rowing a boat...and cross country ski machines are inferior to Cross Country Skiing...and Cranking Salt Water Fish through 400 ft depths on a Pitching and Yawling Boat is superior to cranking a UBE machine.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Cycling is on a real bike and actually gets you somewhere.
    Spinning is exactly like it sounds - spinning your wheels and getting nowhere.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and have artheritis in my knees. Several years ago I could hardly walk 100 yards w/o excruciating pain in my knees. I did two things that I believe have helped.

One of those things was cycling. It has helped strengthen my legs without the pounding of running. I have never taken a spinning class so I can't give you a comparison of the two. I have had compliments on how toned my legs and backside are. I average about 5 to 7 hours a week on my bike and switch off between my hybrid and my recumbent. I prefer cycling outdoors to stationary cycling in the gym because I get bored quickly on a stationary bike.

The other thing I did to help my knees was start "gelatine" therapy. It's simply 2 small packets of unflavored gelatine in a glass of orange juice every day. Gelatine has nutrients that repair/rebuild the cartiledge in joints. If you are starting to get sore joints, I recommend doing some research into this treatment. I used to use Knox Nutra Joint but it's been bought out by another company and has all kinds of other stuff in it that I can't find good science about to convince me to take it. You can find gelatine in most grocery stores.

Good luck and happy pedaling!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I don't quite get what you're asking but here it goes. As far as indoor exercise classes go, Spinning and Cycling are the same thing. Spinning is actually a "brand" and an actual fitness certification as well. Most gyms won't call their class a "Spin" Class because they have to pay royalties to Spinning, thus gyms call their group class "Cycling". Same thing goes for "Crossfit". A lot of gyms call those class "HIIT" or something to that effect so they don't have to pay Crossfit for using the brand name.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I don't quite get what you're asking but here it goes. As far as indoor exercise classes go, Spinning and Cycling are the same thing. Spinning is actually a "brand" and an actual fitness certification as well. Most gyms won't call their class a "Spin" Class because they have to pay royalties to Spinning, thus gyms call their group class "Cycling". Same thing goes for "Crossfit". A lot of gyms call those class "HIIT" or something to that effect so they don't have to pay Crossfit for using the brand name.

While I agree in part a true cycling class focuses on the technique that you will be using when you head outdoors to ride. I used to take a true cycling class in the winter with Team in Training and it was basically for the athletes to prep themselves for hitting the road when the weather got "warm" and to prepare them for their upcoming tri's.
  • Scudder76
    Scudder76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

This.

Each instructor may lead a different style of class, some meant to simulate a road ride, some very musically driven, others more drill training. But the only difference between SPIN and Indoor or Studio CYCLING are the fees the club pays to the Spinning(tm) Company.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I enjoy both road cycling and Spinning for different things. When the weather is bad or I don't want to deal with dodging traffic, pedestrians and road hazards or if I just want to burn off some stress, I go for Spin class. You go at your own pace and don't have to get out of the seat if you don't want. I love the class and it has helped me lose weight and strengthen my legs. But when the weather is nice and I have time to bike around the city, I'll do road cycling for a couple hours either on my own or with a group that goes about the same pace as me so that I don't have to try to keep up or slow down for everyone. Just go with whichever you enjoy more.
  • willemjmartins
    Options
    Biggest difference...(For Me anyway) spin will help you develop CV fitness....but I found is inferior for loosing weight....Road Cycling will help you loose weight and truely work your core and some upper body because the bike is NOT nailed to the floor.

Some will disagree...but I have been spinning 3-4X a week for 4 years as soon as they change to eastern standard time. I never loose an ounce and most of my spin buddies don't either many have even gained. As soon as they go to daylight savings time I start cycling outdoors and the weight falls off again.

Problems with Spin..

Instructor Dependant...some wil kick your butt, some are so lame you wish the bike would move so you can ride the heck out of there!

Bike is Stationary...Doesn't truely work anything but your legs...even standing doesn't work core and upper body like they claim. In fact standing on a spin bike makes pedaling easier!

They Teach in the DARK.....Bad for Metabolism if you are a morning spinner (Light is needed for Circadian Rythms). Contributes to SAD in Winter.

You Can be a Poser....No measurement systems on a spin bike..so do you really know your RPMs or True Tension?? and when you feel crappy you can coast and cut back.

Boring and Repetative....after 4 years and 3 winters in a row of gaining back ~10 lbs I am Burnt....Bring on Spring!! No two bike rides are the same....Wind, hills, traffic, changing routes keeps it fresh.

I know some of you will disagree with me, and have had great sucess with Spin(Good for you Folks!), but for my body(and pretty much 90+% of my Spin Buddies)....it doesn't do squat....first day on the road cycling I am puffing ....First day back on the spin bike I am crushing the pedals!!

BTW...I spin with a HRM so I know what every workout looks like, what zones I worked in, Calories Burned ect...none of this..."Ok progress to Zone 3, RPE of 8" How many folks know what that really feels like??

Bottom line is instability recruits more muscle! So Spin is inferior to cycling...Rowing machines are inferior to rowing a boat...and cross country ski machines are inferior to Cross Country Skiing...and Cranking Salt Water Fish through 400 ft depths on a Pitching and Yawling Boat is superior to cranking a UBE machine.

I know this is a pretty old thread, but wish to reply.

For a serious road cyclist, spinning is a great tool to develop speed. If building leg strength with weights is part of your program, as per most competitive cyclists, adding spinning to the program is very valuable towards not losing high cadence. It is also a great way to improve your pedaling style, provided your feet are clipped in and the fit is right.

With the right program, you can burn just as much calories spinning as on the road. Rest two minutes, then spin at 115 cadence for the next two minutes so that you absolutely max out at the end of the interval, and do these sets for about 40 minutes. Besides calories burnt, your body will use extra calories to repair muscle from the intensity.