Protein powders/meal replacement powder

Options
I need help! I used to use Shakeology in the mornings as a boost to my day. It made me feel great and always started my day off right. Unfortunately, the cost is ridiculous. My back-up shake was the Biggest Loser Brand shakes. They tasted great, weren't gritty or clumpy, had low calories, low carbs, no artificial sweeteners, decent protein levels and were affordable. I'm in the market to replace my canister and now I can't find that brand anywhere. I've looked online at other brands and I can't tell if the reviews are real or fake. Ultimately I would love to find the biggest loser shakes maybe now under a different name or something but if not... Does anyone use a shake that they love? Can you get it locally? Is it reasonably priced? Low calories, low carbs, good protein and no artificial sweeteners? Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated as i don't want to spend a fortune trying out all kinds of new shake mixes to find out I don't like them. Thanks in advance!! ~ Jennifer

Replies

• ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I like Garden of Life Raw Meal meal replacement powder, not their protein powder, chocolate or plain. Readily available online and in various health stores.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i really like PHD and Optimum Nutrition 100% but most websites now sell sample sizes so you can try them out to see if you like them before buying the big ones.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    As a personal trainer and nutritionist with endless commission opportunities for shakes and meal replacements, I eat food.

I have a 80% protein shake that lasts me for months because I only have it when I'm having trouble hitting my protein targets with food, and it's cheaper than food.
  • horrorstory
    horrorstory Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I use optimum nutrition, it is way too sweet for me though.
    bump for the ideas.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to replace a meal? There is a HUGE difference between an MRP and a Protein shake. A protein shake is exactly that, a protein supplement. It isn't designed to replace a meal by itself, it supplements protein intake to meet your macro, post workout recovery, etc...
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Loook for whey protein, low on carbs and high in protein and usually tastes good as well.
  • jrreo
    jrreo Posts: 5
    Options
    Are you looking to replace a meal? There is a HUGE difference between an MRP and a Protein shake. A protein shake is exactly that, a protein supplement. It isn't designed to replace a meal by itself, it supplements protein intake to meet your macro, post workout recovery, etc...

I would use Shakeology in the morning to start my day before my workout. Essentially what I want (and I say this as an average athlete...not super into weights. I run daily and do toning exercises. My goal is to be fit and healthy) is something that is easy to mix up in the morning (I don't have much time) and is filling, low in carbs (they are my downfall), low in sugar but full of vitamins and nutrients. Shakeology offered that but at $180 for a monthly supply my income doesn't allow that right now.
  • jenniferlayten34
    Options
    pure America whey protein powder has many varieties but it does cost about $28. If you buy in bulk you can save money, but I would not recommend buying in bulk until you are sure you like the taste. Walmart sells a jillian Michael's protein powder. I use body fortress whey protein powder from walmart. Does it taste good? At first it did but when you have been on it for a year, not so much. Creative ideas to make it taste better given to me by my nutrionist include using extracts, blending a piece of fruit like a banana in it, sometimes fat free yogurt or sugar free pudding. It cost $16.98 for a big container. The flavor selection is very limited which creates boredom basically chocolate vanilla and strawberry. Occasionally chocolate peanut butter is available. I like to put instant coffee in my protein shake, but these are just suggetions. Whatever works best for you is what approach you should take.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Description of Raw Meal Replacement powder:

"RAW Meal goes beyond organic by providing live probiotics and enzymes, Vitamin Code® RAW Food-Created vitamins and minerals, as well as nutrient Code Factors™ such as beta-glucans, SOD, glutathione and CoQ10, enabling natural recognition by your body.

Containing 26 superfoods from RAW organic seeds, sprouts and greens, RAW Meal provides 34 grams of protein, 9-16 grams of fiber (depending on flavor) and a healthy 2.5 grams of fat making it an excellent choice for “weight conscious” individuals. RAW Meal also offers 20 Vitamin Code vitamins and minerals providing at least 100% of the Daily Value of 16 key nutrients.

Just as important is what’s NOT included in RAW Meal. It is gluten-free, dairy-free and lactose-free. It has no fillers, no synthetic nutrients, no artificial flavors or sweeteners and no preservatives."

$39 for 2.6 lb container on vitaminshoppe.com
    $31 on Amazon for same size

I have the chocolate and the plain. I do a scoop of each or two of one or the other depending on what level of sweetness I'm feeling that day.
  • jrreo
    Options
    pure America whey protein powder has many varieties but it does cost about $28. If you buy in bulk you can save money, but I would not recommend buying in bulk until you are sure you like the taste. Walmart sells a jillian Michael's protein powder. I use body fortress whey protein powder from walmart. Does it taste good? At first it did but when you have been on it for a year, not so much. Creative ideas to make it taste better given to me by my nutrionist include using extracts, blending a piece of fruit like a banana in it, sometimes fat free yogurt or sugar free pudding. It cost $16.98 for a big container. The flavor selection is very limited which creates boredom basically chocolate vanilla and strawberry. Occasionally chocolate peanut butter is available. I like to put instant coffee in my protein shake, but these are just suggetions. Whatever works best for you is what approach you should take.
    [/quote

Is it chalky or gritty?
  • jrreo
    Options
    Description of Raw Meal Replacement powder:

"RAW Meal goes beyond organic by providing live probiotics and enzymes, Vitamin Code® RAW Food-Created vitamins and minerals, as well as nutrient Code Factors™ such as beta-glucans, SOD, glutathione and CoQ10, enabling natural recognition by your body.

Containing 26 superfoods from RAW organic seeds, sprouts and greens, RAW Meal provides 34 grams of protein, 9-16 grams of fiber (depending on flavor) and a healthy 2.5 grams of fat making it an excellent choice for “weight conscious” individuals. RAW Meal also offers 20 Vitamin Code vitamins and minerals providing at least 100% of the Daily Value of 16 key nutrients.

Just as important is what’s NOT included in RAW Meal. It is gluten-free, dairy-free and lactose-free. It has no fillers, no synthetic nutrients, no artificial flavors or sweeteners and no preservatives."

$39 for 2.6 lb container on vitaminshoppe.com
    $31 on Amazon for same size

I have the chocolate and the plain. I do a scoop of each or two of one or the other depending on what level of sweetness I'm feeling that day.

That's not bad...is it chalky or gritty? I like the idea that it has no artificial sweeteners. Thanks!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    When I lift:
    optimum-nutrition-whey-gold-standard-5lb-3168-p.jpg

When I run:
    p-ref-chocolate.jpg
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I would use Shakeology in the morning to start my day before my workout. Essentially what I want (and I say this as an average athlete...not super into weights. I run daily and do toning exercises. My goal is to be fit and healthy) is something that is easy to mix up in the morning (I don't have much time) and is filling, low in carbs (they are my downfall), low in sugar but full of vitamins and nutrients. Shakeology offered that but at $180 for a monthly supply my income doesn't allow that right now.

That is not a protein shake then. You are looking for an MRP.

What is a "toning" exercise vs weight/strength training?