Where I've Been - Where I Am

Options
Hello.
I'm a 58 year old man who had a heart attack on May, 2012. I was 230lbs @ 5' 10”, smoked 3 packs daily and could smell my death rattle.
That was then. Allow me to share what's worked for me.

Nutrition/Diet:
Everyday week there are new reports, studies and findings on nutrition. Finding sources one can believe can be maddening. I spent months reading articles, forums, watched endless lectures, talked with doctors and nutritionists.
As many of you know, there's a swamp of well meaning people who dispense harmful and ineffective advice and countless hucksters who hawk specious diet and exercise plans and philosophy's.
When I discover Dean Ornish, I knew he was the real deal. Ornish's program produced one of the first documented cases of reversing heart decease in coronary patients through diet alone. Then there's my favorite - most engaging nutritionist in the world, Dr. Michael Greger @ www.nutritionfacts.org. This guy has helped me more than anything. From his site: “Dr. Greger scours the world of nutrition-related research, as published in scientific journals, and brings that information to you in short, easy to understand video segments.” Greger has paved they way to my good health and sound nutrition.

Exercise:
Another rabbit-hole of disparate information. The NYT's Heath and Well sections provides in fitness what Dr. Greger provides in nutrition. I HIIT train, weight train and duration training.

In off all heart meds, weight 137 lbs. My cholesterol is crazy low (total 74) and I'm fit as a fiddle.

Nevertheless, it's sometimes still a struggle to keep maintenance up. Friends aren't necessary interested in talking health diet and nutrition. This forum, in contrast, is teeming with like minded people. I like it here.
Thanks for allowing me to bend your ear.
If i can be of any help, please add me as a friend.

Replies

• foodiscomplicated
    foodiscomplicated Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    No one?
    BUMP
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your incredible transformation! I am vegetarian and am on the super-slow track toward my goal weight, which is just over 20 pounds away. I welcome fun-loving, active loggers as friends!
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    That's awesome, I'm happy for you... Nutrition is so important...
    I'm basically following a similar path, with a twist...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8-IIb4nqWU
  • goldarae
    goldarae Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What a fabulous success!! Congratulations on regaining your life :smile:
  • KathryneJY
    KathryneJY Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    What a turnaround in a year and a half. Congratulations on your recovery and discovery. Very inspirational!
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Wow, congratulations on turning your life around! Sounds like you're a complete 180 from where you were just over a year ago. Well done, truly.
  • foodiscomplicated
    foodiscomplicated Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks you all for your kind support. Much appreciated.
    I like to explore with those of you who find nutrition/fitness more engaging than weight lose, some of the extremely interesting and helpful source of information. Here are a few YouTube video links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30gEiweaAVQ
    nutritionfacts.org

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYmInK5xo6g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KtYJ0c0lCk&list=PL9DDF10F89DF9C025
  • meparker757
    meparker757 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Great post!

I'm trying to eliminate or at least decrease the medication that I am taking. Well, using MFP is the first step in achieving this. However, there is so much misinformation out there that a person can go down the wrong road. Thanks for all the resource links.
  • judiiiiindisguise
    judiiiiindisguise Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    hey add me if you want. I just did a search on the word ORNISH and came up with your post. I love that guy and get so confused if I should follow his plan or do a low carb plan..so basically i haven't done either...i am going to read more about Dean. and would like to add you as a friend, thanks!
  • GreenTeaPotato
    GreenTeaPotato Posts: 40 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I love Dr. Greger too! I agree it's a shame more people aren't interested in nutrition science, just "weight loss."