Is anyone else skinny fat?

Options
Hi all!

I'm a skinny fat person - meaning that while my weight number is healthy, my body fat percentage is not. I recently started working out with a trainer to build more muscle and get that fat down.

I'm wondering if there is anyone else with this issue? I want to lose weight, but it's not the actual WEIGHT that is the issue - it is the pounds of fat.

My trainer says I need to lose 8 lbs of FAT specifically to get down to just a healthy body fat percentile.

Are there any tips you can give me? I know that burning fat comes from cardio and building muscle, but is there anything specific I could eat that will make sure I'm burning fat lbs, and not just total lbs? I eat pretty healthily already - low fat dairy, whole grains, upped protein intake, plenty of fruits, veggies, salads, and I drink a gallon of water daily.

Thanks!

Replies

• __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights - do squats, bench, deadlifts, overhead press, etc. As heavy as you can for 5 reps, up to 5 sets on alternate days. Increase the weight that you lift every time you go to the gym. That is all.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    A reduction in fat mass occurs simply when you eat less calories than the total amount needed to maintain present body weight. Thus exercise is not absolutely needed for fat loss - eating less than maintenance (TDEE) is. If you maintain on 2000 calories, for instance, then you will reduce fat mass by eating below 2000. If you have only 8 lbs of fat to lose, then eat about 250 calories less than what's needed to maintain your present weight.

With that said, strength training [of heavy enough resistance] is important because it is one part of the equation to preserve as much lean mass as possible while eating at a deficit to reduce fat mass. The second part is eating an adequate amount of protein (general guideline is 1g of protein per lb of lean mass). Lastly, give yourself adequate rest (one to two days minimum per week) to recover from the stress of exercise and dieting.
  • pauljsaunders
    Options
    A reduction in fat mass occurs simply when you eat less calories than the total amount needed to maintain present body weight. Thus exercise is not absolutely needed for fat loss - eating less than maintenance (TDEE) is. If you maintain on 2000 calories, for instance, then you will reduce fat mass by eating below 2000. If you have only 8 lbs of fat to lose, then eat about 250 calories less than what's needed to maintain your present weight.

With that said, strength training [of heavy enough resistance] is important because it is one part of the equation to preserve as much lean mass as possible while eating at a deficit to reduce fat mass. The second part is eating an adequate amount of protein (general guideline is 1g of protein per lb of lean mass). Lastly, give yourself adequate rest (one to two days minimum per week) to recover from the stress of exercise and dieting.

There were bits in this that I'll benefit from (thanks) but I would say regarding exercise for fat burning and that is to look into the "Insanity" workouts..... I've lost a lot due to this exercise routine....

Best of luck....