Wearing a red dress to a wedding?

Options

Replies

• Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Great dress - you look fabulous in it!

Wear it, have fun, be yourself..............................

Who cares what anyone else thinks?????

(btw - one of my best friend's is going to her granddaughters wedding and she was TOLD to wear a red dress!!!! Whoot!)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Fashion rules are dumb. You look great in the dress. Wear it, I say.
  • CardiC333
    CardiC333 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Lmao oh please, its not white.
    Only way she shouldn't is if the brides maids are wearing red..
    Looks amazing, you should wear it!!! :)
  • j0j0ba
    j0j0ba Posts: 66
    Options
    This is news to me, and I just got married AND was in other posts pointing out that white/ivory dresses were a no-no to a wedding.

I don't think it's bad that it's strapless, for one. I also wouldn't say it's very flashy, and I wouldn't say it's very "steal attention from the bride."

What is the context of a wedding? What type of people, location, etc. That can determine whether it's okay for a wedding better than just a poll: Grandma from Alabama might say no, but Auntie from downtown Chicago might say, "Of course."

ETA: Red IS a wedding color in some cultures, but I'm assuming that's not the case here?

Irish wedding with an open bar! It's for a really fun couple, and I honestly don't think the bride would care at all (I wouldn't wear it if I thought she would), I just got concerned with hearing that red is not allowed. I figured posting on here I'd get some feedback from new/soon-to-be brides that would know better than I would.

Im Irish i was brought up knowing the old traditions.. no red white ivory or black at weddings.. basically upstaging the bride with ivory creams and white, disrespectful and bad luck is black and red, basically red means your a slapper too. BUT its old wives tales and traditions. If you know the couple and know they will be fine with it then wear it.

You may feel the eyes on you and the wrath of the older generations if you do wear it. I didn't mind the women at my wedding wearing what they wanted but everyone else frowned upon it and gave them a hard time because they knew they were going out of their way to upstage me wearing white dresses and gowns.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just ask the bride? I have a dress with a print, about a third of which is white. I just sent a pic to my sister in law to be and asked if it would bother her. She said it was fine and thanked me for asking. Problem solved!

ETA: And that is a fantastic dress by the way. Truly lovely.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Never heard of no red. I think it looks great!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Im Irish i was brought up knowing the old traditions.. no red white ivory or black at weddings.. basically upstaging the bride with ivory creams and white, disrespectful and bad luck is black and red, basically red means your a slapper too. BUT its old wives tales and traditions. If you know the couple and know they will be fine with it then wear it.

You may feel the eyes on you and the wrath of the older generations if you do wear it. I didn't mind the women at my wedding wearing what they wanted but everyone else frowned upon it and gave them a hard time because they knew they were going out of their way to upstage me wearing white dresses and gowns.

This^ :flowerforyou: Quoted for TRUTH!
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I'm a wedding photographer, so I've been to a lot of weddings, and I see a lot of guests wear red dresses. I think this specific dress needs something though and think a cardigan would be great.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Tone it down with a cardigan and you'll be fine.

Wearing red to a wedding is ok. Being sexier than the bride is not.

What if the bride is totally frumpy? Plus, she's supposed to look beautiful in a long white gown, not "sexy".
  • slpaul100
    slpaul100 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That is a beautiful dress but unless it's a totally non-traditional wedding-you should not wear red- and I would question the strapless part too. (if you wear strapless you should have a shrug or something...)
    Red white and black are three colors that traditionally are not worn.

I was about to say the same thing, so I'm just going to go with DITTO.

FYI - I heard a conversation on the radio last week about this exact same thing, and they said red, white and black are all no-nos.
  • almostperfect1on
    Options
    It looks great on you! I would say that there is no problem with wearing it! Just ask the bride if it is alright.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    The only color you should never wear is white. There is no rule against red or black or anything. That is ridiculous.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    As long as you dont show up in a wedding dress wear what you wanna wear.. I think the dress looks great! If you look good in it go with it!!!:drinker:
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wear red to an Indian or Chinese wedding, because that's the colour the bride wears (in those cultures).

I've never heard of it in a western "white wedding".

I think you look va va voom and should GO FOR IT!!!

Maybe that's what your coworker was referring to? You're more likely to outshine the bride??
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    My sister just got married two weeks ago and honestly she probably doesn't even remember what anyone was wearing. And I do believe someone had on red. Wear it, it's a great dress!! :smile:
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    If you're close to the bride, just ask her!
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I wore red to a wedding once...I'm still alive. I say go for it!
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If someone was going to get upset based on the dress I wore to their wedding (ok NOT white) then I just wouldn't go!
    As long as you are presentable who cares!
  • tattedlady75
    tattedlady75 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I say ask the bride or someone in the bridal party if at all possible if your unsure. It looks awesome on you, by the way. Maybe take a pic with the sweater or shawl you plan to wear and send it to bride to make sure it would be appropriate.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it. Fake rule is fake. Cute dress is cute. Have fun at the wedding.