Carbohydrates Addict Diet

Options
Has anyone had any long term success with this?
Thoughts/opinions from those who have done it previously.
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had any long term success with this?
    Thoughts/opinions from those who have done it previously.
    Thanks in advance :)

If you're referring to a carb restricted diet like keto, then, yes. There's also a group you may find helpful, there's a low carb group too.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Don't know what it is but you are not a carb addict. You may like sugars and carbs but it isn't an addiction. Cutting carbs only means you are eating fewer calories because carbs tend to be calorie dense. Just stay in budget eating whatever you want.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    from their website..

What It Is

The remarkable success of The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet -- by Rachael Heller, MD, and Richard Heller, MD, and first published in 1993 -- led to a handful of best-selling books. Each is based on a single theory: Many overweight people are "carbohydrate addicts." Among these people, biological processes that convert food into energy fail to perform as they are supposed to and, the Hellers say, "for reasons that are not yet clearly understood, sustained high levels of insulin in the blood result." The elevated insulin, according to their theory, makes carbohydrate addicts crave food throughout the day. But a big question -- why does this condition create carbohydrate craving? -- is not answered.

Given the premise, the Hellers claim that this is not a diet for everybody -- only for those with this metabolic imbalance that they call "carbohydrate addiction." However, their "documented research" shows that 75% of overweight adults identify themselves as "carbohydrate addicts," but they maintain that the actual figure may be as high as 85%. Alas, these theories on addiction and the related figures are not founded on scientific research.

The diet is based on the Hellers' own theories about controlling fat-storing insulin in the body. And insulin, they claim, can be controlled by drastically reducing carbohydrate consumption during most of the day.

What You Can Eat

For the first two weeks, you eat two small Complimentary Meals daily, consisting of a portion (three to four ounces) of meat, fish, or fowl or two ounces of cheese, and roughly two cups of vegetables or salad. The third meal is your Reward Meal, which can be anything you want, in any quantity -- though it should be nourishing and well balanced. You can have wine or a cocktail or a glass of beer, promise the Hellers. This meal can be breakfast, lunch, or dinner. But there's a time limit. The Reward Meal -- from cocktail to dessert -- must be consumed within an hour.

After the first two weeks, the regimen splits into several eating plans, depending on how much weight you still want to lose, or on whether you just want to maintain what you've already lost. Some will choose a plan that allows one prescribed snack a day, made up of the same low-carb foods that you eat at the Complimentary Meals. You may never choose carbohydrate-rich foods such as fruits, fruit juices, breads, pasta, snack foods, or sweets as your snacks. Never. And these snacks are limited to half the size of a meal.

The book gives an extensive list of food to chose from, which covers five pages, and urges you not to deviate: "If the food is not listed here, don't eat it during your Complimentary Meals or Snacks. ... When in doubt, save the food for your Reward Meal."

Other rules: Drink plenty of water. If you have milk or cream with your coffee, you can have one cup a day the way you like it. Keep to the rules, say the Hellers, and you will improve your metabolism and miraculously lose weight, and all the time you'll feel great.

How It Works

The Hellers claim that by restricting carbohydrates drastically during most of the day, the body releases far less insulin than if you had been eating a high-carb diet at each meal. They say that the entire chain of metabolic events is altered: Less insulin is released, less fat is stored, and more fat is burned up. Because the body is releasing less insulin, the brain regulates the appetite better with a release of serotonin, a biochemical that gives that nice, complete feeling of satiety.

The time limit on the Reward Meal, when you are eating and drinking carbs to your heart's content, controls the insulin release, which the Hellers say occurs about one-and-a-quarter to one-and-a-half hours after you begin eating. If you are still polishing off that apple pie, your body will compensate for the initial low release of insulin with a big blast of it. But if you've stopped eating within an hour, "this second phase appears to be kept low," they write...."

OP unless you have some carb issue or medical condition, I would just stick to eating carbs and staying in calorie deficit...

T
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    from their website..

What It Is

The remarkable success of The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet -- by Rachael Heller, MD, and Richard Heller, MD, and first published in 1993 -- led to a handful of best-selling books. Each is based on a single theory: Many overweight people are "carbohydrate addicts." Among these people, biological processes that convert food into energy fail to perform as they are supposed to and, the Hellers say, "for reasons that are not yet clearly understood, sustained high levels of insulin in the blood result." The elevated insulin, according to their theory, makes carbohydrate addicts crave food throughout the day. But a big question -- why does this condition create carbohydrate craving? -- is not answered.

Given the premise, the Hellers claim that this is not a diet for everybody -- only for those with this metabolic imbalance that they call "carbohydrate addiction." However, their "documented research" shows that 75% of overweight adults identify themselves as "carbohydrate addicts," but they maintain that the actual figure may be as high as 85%. Alas, these theories on addiction and the related figures are not founded on scientific research.

The diet is based on the Hellers' own theories about controlling fat-storing insulin in the body. And insulin, they claim, can be controlled by drastically reducing carbohydrate consumption during most of the day.

What You Can Eat

For the first two weeks, you eat two small Complimentary Meals daily, consisting of a portion (three to four ounces) of meat, fish, or fowl or two ounces of cheese, and roughly two cups of vegetables or salad. The third meal is your Reward Meal, which can be anything you want, in any quantity -- though it should be nourishing and well balanced. You can have wine or a cocktail or a glass of beer, promise the Hellers. This meal can be breakfast, lunch, or dinner. But there's a time limit. The Reward Meal -- from cocktail to dessert -- must be consumed within an hour.

After the first two weeks, the regimen splits into several eating plans, depending on how much weight you still want to lose, or on whether you just want to maintain what you've already lost. Some will choose a plan that allows one prescribed snack a day, made up of the same low-carb foods that you eat at the Complimentary Meals. You may never choose carbohydrate-rich foods such as fruits, fruit juices, breads, pasta, snack foods, or sweets as your snacks. Never. And these snacks are limited to half the size of a meal.

The book gives an extensive list of food to chose from, which covers five pages, and urges you not to deviate: "If the food is not listed here, don't eat it during your Complimentary Meals or Snacks. ... When in doubt, save the food for your Reward Meal."

Other rules: Drink plenty of water. If you have milk or cream with your coffee, you can have one cup a day the way you like it. Keep to the rules, say the Hellers, and you will improve your metabolism and miraculously lose weight, and all the time you'll feel great.

How It Works

The Hellers claim that by restricting carbohydrates drastically during most of the day, the body releases far less insulin than if you had been eating a high-carb diet at each meal. They say that the entire chain of metabolic events is altered: Less insulin is released, less fat is stored, and more fat is burned up. Because the body is releasing less insulin, the brain regulates the appetite better with a release of serotonin, a biochemical that gives that nice, complete feeling of satiety.

The time limit on the Reward Meal, when you are eating and drinking carbs to your heart's content, controls the insulin release, which the Hellers say occurs about one-and-a-quarter to one-and-a-half hours after you begin eating. If you are still polishing off that apple pie, your body will compensate for the initial low release of insulin with a big blast of it. But if you've stopped eating within an hour, "this second phase appears to be kept low," they write...."

OP unless you have some carb issue or medical condition, I would just stick to eating carbs and staying in calorie deficit...
    T
    +1
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Esto no terminara bien. Translation........this won't end well.

wont end well in Spanish, English, or both?????
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    oh geez....
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I refuse to do any specific diet that requires or avoids certain foods/nutrients or that plans my meals for me. I'm just a rebel like that. :smokin:
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I've done this plan before. I've read the book many times. Yes it does work but not for the reasons they say. If you do the program correctly, it forces you into a calorie restriction causing you to lose weight. By cutting carbs for two meals, you are creating that deficit. You are supposed to eat sensibly for this third "reward" meal, divide your plate into thirds (protein, veggie, carb) plus a salad on the side. It did work for me, but I ended up going off it because I realized carb timing doesn't matter. When I went off the plan and ate carbs whenever I wanted but still at a calorie deficit, I still lost at the same rate. It truly makes no difference unless you are diabetic and need to watch your carbs and sugars.

IMO, do yourself a favor and don't limit yourself like this. It's unnecessary.
  • vinzorelli
    Options
    Cutting carbs. Could never do that. Props if you can do it though.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    1. Make up a theory (facts don't matter)
    2. Write book
    3. Profit
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I do a later updated version by the Hellers, reflecting further research that they did (and I love that in the book I have, they list the various papers and studies referred to so you can go read them yourself). It's called CALP (carobhydrate addicts lifespan program)for short. Am I having success? I'm coming up on 153 lbs. lost (had lost a batch before joining mfp for tracking purposes), with improved bp, and cholesterol stats (my cardiac risk ratios are near perfect). It has gone a long way to helping me deal with having metabolic syndrome.

I eat whatever I want, within their guidelines for length of meal, how often I eat, and how the meal is composed. I eat a lot of low carb veggies, cook from scratch mostly, and enjoy the complex carbs I eat.

Anyhoo..don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but I'd love to connect with anyone else doing CALP on this board. If you are going to tell me it doesn't work..LOL. Don't bother. It does for me, and that's all I care about.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I did this diet FOR TWO YEARS. It's only v low carb in day, your carb meal is a carb fest of yummies,

Dinner time ended up such a free for all coma inducing binge I don't think my stomach and pancreas will ever forgive me.

I was miserable and lethargic all day, and come six o clock I was jonesing like a *kitten*.

I was slim though, not realising that I was just on a plain ole calorie deficit! The low carb meals (I just had one, brunch) in day ended up high in protein naturally. There was no calorie counting. I liked it at the time. It was easy.

It kind of worked for me in an intermittent fasting way, but there's no way I could be athletic on it. I remember strength training and being in pretty good shape. Evening though, I was zonked out after dinner. I just would doze in front of the tv. Wouldn't suit my lifestyle now but I was raising a toddler and wasn't up to much at the time.

I did looooooove dinner though and would eat everything I liked for an hour and be full til 11 the next day.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    It's basically all about controlling the levels of insulin secreted in you body, by limiting your carbs into just a 1 hour window.

There are lots more easier ways to do this which will allow you to eat when you are hungry as opposed to limiting yourself to a 1 hour window or having to stop eating once you've hit your target calories for the day.

Try looking into different diets that are low carb / high fat.

There are a few different paleo styles you can choose from. If you're not big into meat I think there are alternatives like the Kaleo diet (although I do not know too much about this one).

Just do some research.

But general answer is the diet works, but for sustainability - not sure?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I refuse to do any specific diet that requires or avoids certain foods/nutrients or that plans my meals for me. I'm just a rebel like that. :smokin:

I refuse to do any diet that tells me what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wendy stop eating eating grain and sugar - no way dude, i'm sticking it to the man.

Wendy you'e reached your your calorie intake for the day, you must stop eating - yes sir, sorry sir.

No matter how you wrap it up - they're all diets and all require a certain level of sacrifice.

Hope your well :smile:
  • lanakat
    lanakat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good thread! My sister gave me a copy of the first version of the book a few days ago. I was on South Beach and this is so much like SB that I am defiantly giving it a try. :o)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Esto no terminara bien. Translation........this won't end well.

no es bueno? :laugh:
    (the extent of what I retained from my HS Spanish class)
    edited to add: I try to work it into casual conversation whenever I can.
    Welp. I've met me quota for the day. :laugh: and yes, I'm a pirate.
    yargh.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Since Warrior Diet (eating nothing until evening) doesn't end well for me when I eat whatever I want, this sure wouldn't. I can double and then some my calorie requirements for the day in a single sitting. And then go back for dessert.

Clearly I come from a long line of people who didn't know where their next meal was coming from.
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    One of the things that the Dr's Heller clarified in their later books, was that the Reward Meal was never meant to be an hour long, unbalanced carb fest/binge.

Since I posted in March I've lost another 20 lbs. CALP with portion control via setting a daily calorie limit works well for me.