3 months, ZERO PROGRESS

Options

Replies

• TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options

"Starvation mode" isn't a thing that really exists. I agree that (except in extremely rare instances) one should not push their deficit above 1000 calories, but you won't suddenly stop losing weight if you eat too little.

This Doctor says otherwise. Its happened to me. <http://blogs.webmd.com/pamela-peeke-md/2009/07/stop-starving-yourselves.html&gt;

She's wrong. Well, technically she's right, but you'll notice she does not mention the magnitude of the effect.

The degree to which your body will adapt metabolically to a low-calorie diet is not nearly enough to stop weight loss on a VLCD.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
    different article, same sarcastic *kitten*. love it.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I said and/or.

if your HRM does not have a chest strap and you are using it for weight training you are over estimating burns.

It doesn't matter the deficet in reality if you are at a deficet you will lose. People on VLCD (very low calories diet) lose weight not in a good way but they still lose.

End of story.
    I disagree with you. That is not the reality of human beings. There are many more variables.

Actually this is the reality unless you have thryoid problems or PCOS which in most cases it is known and these questions are not asked.

I've been reading this thread and thinking PCOS the whole time.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I said and/or.

if your HRM does not have a chest strap and you are using it for weight training you are over estimating burns.

It doesn't matter the deficet in reality if you are at a deficet you will lose. People on VLCD (very low calories diet) lose weight not in a good way but they still lose.

End of story.
    I disagree with you. That is not the reality of human beings. There are many more variables.

Actually this is the reality unless you have thryoid problems or PCOS which in most cases it is known and these questions are not asked.

I've been reading this thread and thinking PCOS the whole time.

yeah, maybe if she was measuring her food and doing everything right, then yeah, maybe consider things like that... but thats like me looking in the mirror one morning and thinking i have lupus since my cheeks are a bit red... maybe it was because i was in the sun yesterday? rule out the small things, before suspecting the big things...
  • melaniebotting90
    Options
    Hi Aimee. I am wondering how many grams of carbs you are eating per day? What kind of calories you eat matters.

I started my weight loss about a year ago because I noticed that though I was working just as hard at my summer job, which is physical labor in a greenhouse, I wasn't losing the weight I usually did every summer. I wasn't eating any different. I asked my doctor. She said It's possible that you could be carb sensitive. This was new to me and actually there is new research into this that can be found on the internet.

If I'm remembering what I read, our body's ability to process carbs correctly can change over time especially if we tend to be big carb consumers. Carbs are supposed to be metabolized into fuel for our muscles and any excess that we don't use gets stored as fat. There are changes that can happen (which have to do with your liver I believe) that make your body send less carb energy to your muscles and more directly to fat storage. Bummer huh? I am definitely in this category and have to keep my carb intake at absolutely no more than 100 grams a day while keeping my protein up and total calories between 1200 - 1400 per day to lose weight which creates a 300 - 500 calorie deficit for me.

Also, if you're calorie intake is too low it can actually trigger this fat storage process. I friend who is a nurse and pretty informed about weight loss said that when you reduce your caloric intake gently by just a few hundred calories a day vs. drastically your body doesn't turn on the "Slow down the metabolism! Store fat! We're starving! alarm" and you will lose weight more easily over time.

I would suggest reading up on this. Hope it helps. Also, Fitday has a more detailed process of finding out the appropriate number of calories for you each day. I like this site better for everything else. Good luck.

Melanie
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    epic facepalm
  • lmd177
    lmd177 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've definitely been here, but the times of the day really mean alot as well. Are you eating Breakfast, 2-3 hrs later Snack, 2 hrs later Lunch, 2-3 hrs later Snack, 2 hrs later Dinner. Also, when are you working out? You should try incorporating green tea, grapefruit (if not on medication) cayenne pepper into your diet as well. It will increase fat burning. Also, make sure you are breaking a sweat when working out. I know it gets costly to eat clean, but there are alot of foods out there that are inexpensive, like a bag of grapefruits are around $5.00, quick oats (plain), cottage cheese, eggs, spinach, broccoli, lettuce, and family pack of chicken. Nice easy marinade for chicken-extra virgin olive oil, fresh garlic or garlic powder, and fresh basil. Keep them in a ziploc bag on hand and grill one up put it over steamed spinach or a salad......it's a very filling meal. Also, keep carrots, celery, and cucumbers cut up at all times in the fridge in ziploc bags, Portion control is so important. You want to keep your body eating and burning all day. If you crave sugar.....peel and cut up some apples with a little sprinkle of cinnamon and put in the microwave for about 10 seconds and you have a nice treat. Don't give up!! You can do this!!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Hi Aimee. I am wondering how many grams of carbs you are eating per day? What kind of calories you eat matters.

I started my weight loss about a year ago because I noticed that though I was working just as hard at my summer job, which is physical labor in a greenhouse, I wasn't losing the weight I usually did every summer. I wasn't eating any different. I asked my doctor. She said It's possible that you could be carb sensitive. This was new to me and actually there is new research into this that can be found on the internet.

If I'm remembering what I read, our body's ability to process carbs correctly can change over time especially if we tend to be big carb consumers. Carbs are supposed to be metabolized into fuel for our muscles and any excess that we don't use gets stored as fat. There are changes that can happen (which have to do with your liver I believe) that make your body send less carb energy to your muscles and more directly to fat storage. Bummer huh? I am definitely in this category and have to keep my carb intake at absolutely no more than 100 grams a day while keeping my protein up and total calories between 1200 - 1400 per day to lose weight which creates a 300 - 500 calorie deficit for me.

Also, if you're calorie intake is too low it can actually trigger this fat storage process. I friend who is a nurse and pretty informed about weight loss said that when you reduce your caloric intake gently by just a few hundred calories a day vs. drastically your body doesn't turn on the "Slow down the metabolism! Store fat! We're starving! alarm" and you will lose weight more easily over time.

I would suggest reading up on this. Hope it helps. Also, Fitday has a more detailed process of finding out the appropriate number of calories for you each day. I like this site better for everything else. Good luck.

Melanie

This was your first post, Melanie.

It should also be the last [until you read enough to understand why this post is so wrong].
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've definitely been here, but the times of the day really mean alot as well. Are you eating Breakfast, 2-3 hrs later Snack, 2 hrs later Lunch, 2-3 hrs later Snack, 2 hrs later Dinner. Also, when are you working out? You should try incorporating green tea, grapefruit (if not on medication) cayenne pepper into your diet as well. It will increase fat burning. Also, make sure you are breaking a sweat when working out. I know it gets costly to eat clean, but there are alot of foods out there that are inexpensive, like a bag of grapefruits are around $5.00, quick oats (plain), cottage cheese, eggs, spinach, broccoli, lettuce, and family pack of chicken. Nice easy marinade for chicken-extra virgin olive oil, fresh garlic or garlic powder, and fresh basil. Keep them in a ziploc bag on hand and grill one up put it over steamed spinach or a salad......it's a very filling meal. Also, keep carrots, celery, and cucumbers cut up at all times in the fridge in ziploc bags, Portion control is so important. You want to keep your body eating and burning all day. If you crave sugar.....peel and cut up some apples with a little sprinkle of cinnamon and put in the microwave for about 10 seconds and you have a nice treat. Don't give up!! You can do this!!!

so thats what ive been doing wromg... i forgot to sync my body to the clock on the wall...
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Hi,

Big ol pile of "NOPE"
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    This Doctor says otherwise.

The evidence is overwhelming that the doctor is just plain wrong.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Why is this thread still going? I thought OP determined her body could bend the rules of physics days ago and peaced out.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i spitlaughed
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    i'd like to the the lads' and lasses' of mfp for keeping me entertained at work.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    10 pages of discussion on someone complaining of lack of progress but has a closed diary and doesn't weigh her food.

This should have been closed on the first page.

Yup.

Then you get all the "Oh my poor dear, hang in there, please don't give up" Followed by same old advice. Lol.

OP already knows what she needs to do.

Did people skip the middle of this post???

OP has acknowledged quite a lot of good advice and she'll be checking her TDEE. She's also booked an appointment with the doctor and is looking into a registered dietician.

People starting the conversation all over again after she posted said responses it seems.

I know we're used to people complaining and not doing anything with the very valuable info they receive, but this OP is not one of those people.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    i mean this is the nicest way, this article changed my life.
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
    i know it doesn't sound that simple, but it really truly is.

That is a great, great, great article.

QFT
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    From what I understand about how MFP works, is the calorie budget your given is calculated with the, lets say, 500 calorie deficit. So I've read in other forums that you should be eating your exercise calories back so you don't have too much of a calorie deficit. Maybe you're not eating enough, and your body needs more nutrients.
  • trishamcnutt
    trishamcnutt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In my first 4-months I lost nothing. Then in the 5th month: -7 lbs. Just keep at it, you'll figure out what works for you.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    10 pages of discussion on someone complaining of lack of progress but has a closed diary and doesn't weigh her food.

This should have been closed on the first page.

Yup.

Then you get all the "Oh my poor dear, hang in there, please don't give up" Followed by same old advice. Lol.

OP already knows what she needs to do.

Did people skip the middle of this post???

OP has acknowledged quite a lot of good advice and she'll be checking her TDEE. She's also booked an appointment with the doctor and is looking into a registered dietician.

People starting the conversation all over again after she posted said responses it seems.

I know we're used to people complaining and not doing anything with the very valuable info they receive, but this OP is not one of those people.

Chances are that she's not calculating calorie intake correctly or consistently over time. Her closed diary makes it impossible to examine this.
  • ikikass76
    Options
    This exact same thing happened to me. I was weighing EVERYTING and tracking EVERY DAY! Working out 5 days a week and was sooooo good and totally could not lose weight. At all.

But really? I WASN'T tracking weekends, because I don't eat and drink THAT much and I have created a HUGE deficit and I walked to the laundro-Mat and I deserve a 'cheat day'. Oops.

Turns out I was drinking my weight in wine and eating blocks of cheese and crackers thus completely negating any deficit I may have created during the week.

Well go figure.