What do you do if you are a sugar craver?

Options
13»

Replies

• PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Eat chocolate, log it, fit it into your daily calorie goals. Why deprive yourself?

This. I have at least one sweet treat a day, not always chocolate or sweets, but something sugary and I don't sweat it.
  • espchica
    Options
    I've tried "just having one" and working it into my calories and even when I was successful, all I thought about was the little red cans of deliciousness waiting for me.
  • espchica
    Options
    That's totally me. I can leave it for days even weeks without craving it that much, but then there's like this sugary beast inside of me that needs to feed. I, too, have "little red cans of deliciousness" although mine tend to be "little candy, chocolate, or sugarplum shaped things".

I'm not opposed to working sugar into my calories--especially on the weekend or holidays, but I don't want it to remain a daily fight when I get into the sugar beast syndrome.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Make a commitment to stick to your calorie goals no matter what. If you eat sugary treats, they have to fit within your calorie allotment for the day. You'll soon realize that you sacrificed a hearty meal that would have kept you satisfied for the immediate gratification of a sweet treat that left you feeling hungry.
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I had to do a detox from sugar. I love sugar. If I were to die in a vat of sugar I would be okay with it because sugar. So I had to stop eating it for a couple weeks cold turkey (I still ate fruits and whatnot. But the processed sugar is what I am referring to). I was pretty cranky for a bit but after a week or so I felt so much better. I find now that I have done that, I an have the occasional cookie or latte without craving it like I did before - there was a point in time where I would get a latte, not for the coffee but for the sugary goodness. EVERY day. It was crazy.
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options

I'm not opposed to working sugar into my calories--especially on the weekend or holidays, but I don't want it to remain a daily fight when I get into the sugar beast syndrome.

Sorry but depending on how much you need to lose that's exactly what this is. And from the sounds of your problem with said "sugar beast", it's either beat IT or let IT beat you.

When you decide that your health and goals are worth fighting for, you'll do it. I like what another poster said about logging it and seeing how the candy takes the place of what could have been a hearty and fulfilling meal or good snack.

What has helped me is not only eating in moderation, but buying in moderation. I love Kit Kats. Buying the bite size bag and trying to eat them in by the serving size never worked. I would eat half if not the whole bag. So now I either will buy a bar from the store and eat it if I really want one, or just stay away completely if I don't need it.

It's trial and error. You gotta fight for your right to healthy. :flowerforyou:
  • WendyGr8
    WendyGr8 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sometimes reading these posts makes me hungry...
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not evil, in and of itself. Nor is alcohol. However, if sugar derails you and causes you to eat more sugar and more sugar and working it into your daily cals only means you're not eating enough of the nutrient dense foods becasue there's no room due to the sugar... well then, those people should re-evaluate. Not demonize sugar, but realize they have a problem with it.

You would not tell a recovering alcoholic to just work one beer into their day. To only drink in moderation. Most of us are here because "using moderation" is not a simple thing. If it were, we'd all be slim!

Each individual needs to look at their relationship with/reaction to sugary treats and proceed from there. Many can lose weight eating ice cream every day. But many of us cannot. And sometimes it's not even the sugar. It's the lactose! ;)
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I was the same way and trying to eat sweets in moderation was like a vicious joke. Honestly, I have recently discovered that I am allergic to both dairy & wheat and so that has automatically taken many things out of my diet, especially certain sweets. HOWEVER, I have dessert almost every night. I make things that are low glycemic, using natural fruits or honey as the sweetener, as omitting wheat from my diet has made me crave sweets much less and I don't see the reason to encourage that addiction by indulging in high glycemic desserts. It is only a suggestion, but perhaps you should consider getting rid of wheat and other high glycemic foods( aka sugar) from your diet and see where t takes you.

Good luck!
    There is no reason to deprive yourself of ANY foods unless you have a medical condition (like yourself) where those foods should be avoided. This should be a lifestyle change and not a diet and for the sake of adherence and overall happiness, you can incorporate everything you enjoy... in moderation of course.:flowerforyou:

I'm not trying to be confrontational but would like to point out that subbing a low glycemic alternative for the high glycemic foods such as wheat, white surger, etc is not deprevation, simply a choice to work with one's body. You might be able to control yourself around sugar but not everyone is. Like I said, certain sweets in moderation was nothing but a vicious joke - and I truly and sincerely meant that. I do not consider someone choosing to ditch wheat to help them control their actions toward food a diet, I consider that to be the true definition of a lifestyle change. Consider it an equivalent to someone choosing to go for a run instead of eating or shopping when stressed. It's about substituting one behavior for another, not deprevation. Yes, I do consider my eating habits a type of behavior - don't you?
  • arasey
    arasey Posts: 1
    Options
    I will eat an apple. They do have some amount of sugar in them, but at least it is natural sugars. Usually keeps my cravings at bay!
  • mordant57
    mordant57 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a sweet tooth unless I eat sugar...then OH MY GOD I NEED SUGAR!!
    So I stay away, plain and simple. If I don't have it, I don't crave it as much.
  • morganmcclure75
    Options
    My trouble has always been my sweet tooth. I love healthy food--whole grains, veggies, fruit, lean meat, milk, etc., and I am not as tempted by salty or fried foods or even fast food, but I do LOVE sweets--chocolate, gummy candy, hard candy, etc. I really feel this is a molecular issue for some people of foods you can be addicted to.

When i was growing up, my mom did not allow sugary cereal, desserts, or anything else, but when I was little, I found her to be a closet sugar eater, and I became one as well.

I've found a few things that help--eating well and not feeling hungry, planning ahead, eating dark chocolate dusted almonds, eating fruit or yogurt after a meal, etc. But I still crave sweets.

Any ideas?

I have a sweet tooth that is down right awful! I usually try to go for Greek God yogurt mixed with some fruit.