3 months, ZERO PROGRESS

Options

Replies

• silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    10 pages of discussion on someone complaining of lack of progress but has a closed diary and doesn't weigh her food.

This should have been closed on the first page.

Yup.

Then you get all the "Oh my poor dear, hang in there, please don't give up" Followed by same old advice. Lol.

OP already knows what she needs to do.

Did people skip the middle of this post???

OP has acknowledged quite a lot of good advice and she'll be checking her TDEE. She's also booked an appointment with the doctor and is looking into a registered dietician.

People starting the conversation all over again after she posted said responses it seems.

I know we're used to people complaining and not doing anything with the very valuable info they receive, but this OP is not one of those people.

Chances are that she's not calculating calorie intake correctly or consistently over time. Her closed diary makes it impossible to examine this.

I'm aware of that. She wasn't counting at all, but she has said she WILL start counting again. She also explained why she now won't open her diary and quite frankly I can't blame her. Initially she thought because she was logging into FB it was a different account, someone showed her otherwise. After she acknowledges what several people were telling her to do and actually goes off to set it all in motion, some others came into the thread obviously not having bothered to read it and basically told her she was saying contradictory stuff, so she decided not to open her diary.

I dunno, but I wouldn't want to open my diary after someone was accusatory to me either.

Had she not acknowledged the stuff she needs to do to actually start losing, I'd be with you guys 100%. However she did and she is going to fix the issues that have been mentioned as being her major problem areas such as measuring her food properly and going the TDEE route seeing as she's not getting an accurate burn from her HMR.
  • Gooddaytostart
    Options
    I like that! Some people on here are not helpful. You go girl!:heart:
  • Gooddaytostart
    Options
    You tell her friend! She is a smarty pants! :heart:
  • alastria
    alastria Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    No, that's not true, it's never that simple, "end of story".
    You're just one of the lucky ones whose body works in an ideal way. Guess you can't see beyond your shoes.
  • alastria
    Options
    either under estimating calories in and/or over estimating calories out.

End of story.

You're just one of the lucky ones whose body works in an ideal way. Guess you can't see beyond your shoes.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    either under estimating calories in and/or over estimating calories out.

End of story.

That's not "the ideal way." It's "the way."

Mass gain or loss is, literally, calories in versus calories out. Period, end of story, fact of life, can't argue it. There are variables that can make the "calories out" value differ from what you expect, but in the end it is always calories in and calories out.
  • Kristine_7707
    Options
    i mean this is the nicest way, this article changed my life.
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
    i know it doesn't sound that simple, but it really truly is.

That is a great, great, great article. Bookmarked.

This was the best article i have read in a while! Thanks for sharing
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    "...one cheat meal a week...."

One cheat meal for me could (AND HAS) sabotage(d) my whole diet plan. It's better to eat what you like in small quantities and budget for extra calories. I try to stick to a higher ratio of whole foods to processed foods, but I have no clue if I'm technically doing 80/20.

When I started measuring and being honest with my portions and counting EVERY meal, EVERY day, I began to lose weight.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue, it turned out I was gluten intolerant. I lost no problem after I did that. Maybe your metabolism has slowed.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    i mean this is the nicest way, this article changed my life.
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
    i know it doesn't sound that simple, but it really truly is.

^^YES^^ This is absolutely it, in a nutshell.
  • alastria
    Options
    I'm not saying that she does have a medical issue, but I got my blood tested and the doctor told me that my thyroid is in the below average range of secreting the appropriate amount of hormones to signal the metabolism to run/function. I didn't just take his word for it, I took up several blood tests, but they were the same results. I've still managed to lose weight though and maybe she is eating too much, but you know, a combination of eating too much and a medical problem could be hindering her process. Don't be so quick to dismiss the "thyroid" issue. I think people want to laugh so much at that now that they forget, it does exist.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I'm not saying that she does have a medical issue, but I got my blood tested and the doctor told me that my thyroid is in the below average range of secreting the appropriate amount of hormones to signal the metabolism to run/function. I didn't just take his word for it, I took up several blood tests, but they were the same results. I've still managed to lose weight though and maybe she is eating too much, but you know, a combination of eating too much and a medical problem could be hindering her process. Don't be so quick to dismiss the "thyroid" issue. I think people want to laugh so much at that now that they forget, it does exist.

It's so much more rare than logging/miscalculation issues, it would be dumb to even suspect it before ruling something else out.

Telling someone who isn't losing weight but is unable to verify correct logging/calculations to get their thyroid checked is like replacing a car's engine because the low coolant light came on.
  • itssallyyyyy
    itssallyyyyy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    While you are meeting your calorie goals/going under them what are you eating in a day? Often things could be low in calories but crazy high in fat or sodium. I've found I can meet my "calorie allowance" but what I'm putting into my body has so many other things(i.e carbs,sodium,fat) that it ultimately does nothing. You should be able to have a cheat day, if not you'll burn yourself out-- so enjoy your french fries once a week! In addition if trying to lose a lot of weight and then tone after I would focus mostly on cardio as opposed to lifting. My trainer told me often times if you start lifting but haven't taken time to burn the fat then you are building muscle on top of fat which ultimately keeps you the same size. ;/ Hope this helps!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    While you are meeting your calorie goals/going under them what are you eating in a day? Often things could be low in calories but crazy high in fat or sodium. I've found I can meet my "calorie allowance" but what I'm putting into my body has so many other things(i.e carbs,sodium,fat) that it ultimately does nothing. You should be able to have a cheat day, if not you'll burn yourself out-- so enjoy your french fries once a week! In addition if trying to lose a lot of weight and then tone after I would focus mostly on cardio as opposed to lifting. My trainer told me often times if you start lifting but haven't taken time to burn the fat then you are building muscle on top of fat which ultimately keeps you the same size. ;/ Hope this helps!

Calories come from carbs, protein, and fat. That's the only place they come from. Every calorie in a piece of food comes from one of those 3 sources. If you're meeting your calorie goal, it's impossible to get so much carbs or fat that it hinders your weight loss.
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My diary isn't linked here. I can post what I ate yesterday, if it helps - almost every day is the same for me.

I am 5'2", 205 (ish). My cheat day is one meal on Wednesday with my mom where I get to have french fries, my biggest weakness. I can give it up, but I try to eat as clean as possible on that day so that the french fries don't completely blow my day.

I eat a ton of protein to prevent muscle loss from under-eating and over-working. Example - FP says my estimated protein intake should be at 15% on their spiffy new pie chart. I was at 24%.

I am around your height (5'3.5") and I started at 204. I would burn anywhere from 300-600 calories during my workouts (and I do use a HRM with a chest strap), but it wasn't until I started eating back some of my exercise calories that the weight started coming off for me (I was netting way less than 1200 a day and my body held on to EVERYTHING). My suggestion.....I would try eating back some of your exercise calories. Give it 3-4 weeks and see if it works. Everyone's body is different, so what works for me may not work for you. Good luck!!! :-)
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Calories from alcohol do not fall into the 3 macro nutrients.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Calories from alcohol do not fall into the 3 macro nutrients.

sugar is a carb
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Strong first post. smh.
  • aimeejolene
    Options
    Can I just say that I am amazed this thread is still active? Some of the posts seriously made me laugh.

Guys, I never once said I wasn't taking anyone's advice here. Only one person so far has acknowledged that yes, I am actually reading everything posted and taking it into consideration. Want a list? Rock on.

1. Doctors appointment - no, I don't think I am a medical anomoly, I am just due for my annual and it certainly won't hurt to ask my doctor what she suggests since she is a medical professional. Maybe she could recommend a dietician I could ask questions of. If I get my thyroid checked, that's good too - both my mom and aunt have thyroid issues so it isn't insane to think I might have some, too. I'm hoping that isn't the case, though, as all my tests in the past have been clear.

2. Yesterday was my usual cheat day. Rather than go all out like I had been doing - and I knew that my one cheat meal was going into the 1500+ calorie range, I wasn't completing ignoring that - I bought the burger, and made my own fries. No soda. It brought my cheat meal down to 904 calories. I went home and did a bit of cardio and some upper body weight training, and I felt comfortable with my day. Higher in carbs and sodium than a regular day, but I was careful before dinner so I could indulge a bit. And it was better than store bought fries any day.

3. My MFP calorie intake is set to 1480 at the moment. I have spent my time researching cheap and easy meals I can make myself that are clean (or cleanER) and I have been sticking to it, and intend on continuing.

4. I am going to assume that my HRM will always be wrong, that it will always overestimate. Keep in mind, I am still obese, so it isn't completely impossible to believe that my heart rate rises and stays up longer than someone who has a much healthier heart than I do. I am worrying less about the HRM total (and I really have only worn it a few times to get an idea of where I was at anyway), and more about how I feel. I lift to failure. I sprint in place until I just can't anymore. I squat, both weighted and not. And yes, I am covered in sweat by the time I am done, and if I am not, I work out more.

This thread has taught me a multitude of things, not least of all that I should ask such a loaded question in the face of people that think they know all of the answers. But those that helped me, helped me well.

And now I think we can let it be :)