Help with Calorie Deficit...How many

Options
I am having a hard time understanding calorie deficit. I am 200 lbs 5'8" and want to reach the goal of 140-150 lbs. how many calories should I be consuming in a day to loose? Thanks.

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time understanding calorie deficit. I am 200 lbs 5'8" and want to reach the goal of 140-150 lbs. how many calories should I be consuming in a day to loose? Thanks.

On the home tab, click on Goals. Set up your goals, and MFP will tell you the calories.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

On the home tab, click on Goals. Set up your goals, and MFP will tell you the calories.

^^^ This, just don't get carried away and immediately go for the 2 lb per week loss rate because it seems like a good idea. You should be aiming for the 1 lb rate even though you may lose more at that level.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that the daily goal MFP gives you already has the deficit built in - meaning you can eat TO goal every day, do zero exercise and you'll lose. You don't need to come in under goal, or exercise to burn heaps of calories to maintain a deficit, it's already there.

This is also why MFP will add any exercise cals back into your goal - you are supposed to eat them back to bring your daily NET cals at, or close to goal. Coming in way under creates a HUGE calorie deficit, which is not what you want, and can backfire on ya, stalling progress and leading to all sorts of problems.

Follow MFP's system - it works great when used properly. Good luck! :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Put your stats and goals in .....MFP will do the rest. Here are goals for various levels.....

Pounds per week
    75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range
  • Chrisschumm
    Options
    Good points,

I started my whole journey about 3 weeks ago weighing in at about 238-240 lbs depending on sodium/ water levels...

Many on here will probably say im loosing too much too soon to be healthy... but MFP calculated my goal calorie intake for my weight loss goal to be around 1580 cal/ day... With my diet (mainly vegetables, fruits & high protein meats - chicken & fish & VITAMINS!) and fairly intense cardio & moderate weight lifting every day during the week. After eating everything and exercising i am typically at a daily deficit (negative) of -700 to -1200 calories per day... and i eat dinner to the point of being uncomfortable lol.

I have consistently lost an honest 7 - 8 lbs per week on my program. For me the hardest part was staying away from the beer isle... and not going out to restaurants everyday for lunch (i use to always eat lunch with my boss)

that being said everyone's body reacts different - this is just what has worked for me & what i think about the deficit... figure'd id write this before i implode or spontaneously combust according to some of the experts on here... lol I've never had more energy & felt healthier...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Good points,

I started my whole journey about 3 weeks ago weighing in at about 238-240 lbs depending on sodium/ water levels...

Many on here will probably say im loosing too much too soon to be healthy... but MFP calculated my goal calorie intake for my weight loss goal to be around 1580 cal/ day... With my diet (mainly vegetables, fruits & high protein meats - chicken & fish & VITAMINS!) and fairly intense cardio & moderate weight lifting every day during the week. After eating everything and exercising i am typically at a daily deficit (negative) of -700 to -1200 calories per day... and i eat dinner to the point of being uncomfortable lol.

I have consistently lost an honest 7 - 8 lbs per week on my program. For me the hardest part was staying away from the beer isle... and not going out to restaurants everyday for lunch (i use to always eat lunch with my boss)

that being said everyone's body reacts different - this is just what has worked for me & what i think about the deficit... figure'd id write this before i implode or spontaneously combust according to some of the experts on here... lol I've never had more energy & felt healthier...

Yes, it's not healthy if you're netting negative numbers.

I also don't think you're netting negative and eating until you're uncomfortable. I'm roughly the same weight as you, and in no way I could net a negative number and eat until I was uncomfortable.
  • Chrisschumm
    Options
    Eating as much vegetables as i do seems to fill me up quicker... at least from what i have experienced...

To me deficit is what my calorie number is under "remaining" after dinner has been consumed & all exercise has been logged.

looking at my diary my typical "NET" is between 300-500... if that makes any sense.. hah
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Eating as much vegetables as i do seems to fill me up quicker... at least from what i have experienced...

To me deficit is what my calorie number is under "remaining" after dinner has been consumed & all exercise has been logged.

looking at my diary my typical "NET" is between 300-500... if that makes any sense.. hah

It's not -700 to -1200 as you stated above?

I would still question that you're actually netting 3-500 calories per day and eating as much food as you state you are. If I netted that low on a daily basis, I'd tip over.
  • jen4relient22
    Options
    Also keep in mind that the daily goal MFP gives you already has the deficit built in - meaning you can eat TO goal every day, do zero exercise and you'll lose. You don't need to come in under goal, or exercise to burn heaps of calories to maintain a deficit, it's already there.

This is also why MFP will add any exercise cals back into your goal - you are supposed to eat them back to bring your daily NET cals at, or close to goal. Coming in way under creates a HUGE calorie deficit, which is not what you want, and can backfire on ya, stalling progress and leading to all sorts of problems.

yesss.... this.... i have personal experience with not eating back exercise calories and doing damage to my metabolism/stalling all progress. :X eat back exercise calories!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

yesss.... this.... i have personal experience with not eating back exercise calories and doing damage to my metabolism/stalling all progress. :X eat back exercise calories!
    Agreed 100%. Do not try too aggressive of a deficit! Slow and steady does it.:flowerforyou:
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Among other things, look over this
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

It might explain some things, and give you some guidance
  • coffeebrown83
    coffeebrown83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thank you! this is just the informaiton i was looking for