How do you get rid of the "fear of gain" mindset

2»

Replies

• hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    Can some people get away with not tracking what they eat and maintain a healthy weight? Yes. Can I get away with it? Heck no!

I think it's important to remember how hard you worked to lose the weight, and how much better you feel now that you have. It helps you stay motivated to continue a healthy lifestyle.

I think you are absolutely right - I think this is the crux of the whole thing. When I lost weight before I think I thought I was then "naturally slim" which was a pretty smug and incorrect way to be - why should I be surprised that I gained the weight back when I stopped logging? I wasn't honest with myself and what I was eating - I took my eye off the ball - usually this was accompanied with a change in my life - new relationship (he was a fast food freak and I jumped on the bandwagon), new job (I didn't have tie to exercise), loss of job (I could no longer afford the gym). But these are simply excuses for not keeping up the lifestyle.

Thank you everyone - I like the idea that logging is akin to cleaning my teeth and I should revel in the fact that I do it each day. I love exercise, it is a friend I see every day and helps me maintain my weight, reduce recurrence of depression, keep me fit and healthy as well as giving me extra years of life as well as good quality life.

I think I will have the fear, but I will experiment with my calories to see where I sit to maintain - I just need to have that threshold where I can claw back a few lbs rather than 50 as before...
  • I've been maintaining for almost 2 years now. I still log most of my food, and I exercise more now than when I was losing the weight. To me, not being mindful of what I was eating and how much of it was what got me into trouble in the first place, so I am not going back there. Can some people get away with not tracking what they eat and maintain a healthy weight? Yes. Can I get away with it? Heck no!

I think it's important to remember how hard you worked to lose the weight, and how much better you feel now that you have. It helps you stay motivated to continue a healthy lifestyle.
    Yea i left home for a while to go to see family. there eating habits and mine are diffrent. but i stuck to my meal plan, and they helped. did not check in. but yes i need to. its to easy to get sidetracked and then feel bad. so i watch and use MFP evryday. being type 2 diabetic, i need to watch my intake. Yea it takes work to maintain, but well worth it.
  • Domane1963
    Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
    hazeljordan, soooo many of your comments ring true with me. I've have yo-yo'd for years but this year for the first time I changed my eating habits and took up running so I'm in a totally different mindset to one I've ever been in before. I'm determined to keep my weight off this time and for it to become a way of life. As they say "it is a marathon and not a sprint" so I shall continue to log my food intake on here and run/use the gym as often as I can. I've never really had a problem losing the weight, but keeping it off was never achieved because I DID adopt the "I don't have to try any more" mentality. But now I know that my journey is by no means over and that this is a battle for life. I'm hopeful that the longer time goes on, the easier and more natural it will become... and the easier I shall feel about things. Rationally I think "You've said 'no' for five months, keep saying 'no'" but there is still a small part of me that fears I'll lose the fight. I think we need to break it down and take it a day at a time for the time being....