no period for 3 months?

Options
After undertaking a massive turn around with my eating habits last week, I am currently averaging just over 1200 cals a day, whereas previously some days I was surviving on as little as 400! It's been going well so far and I haven't piled on any weight (yet!) like I thought I would, and in fact, I have continued to lose slightly! :)
So, anyway, the whole reason I upped my intake to a reasonable level is that I have been "dieting" since April, and I have not had a period since July- should I be concerned? I think am of an average weight at 52.4kg and 165cm- I did, however, start out at 75kg, so I have travelled a reasonable way down the scale. Is there anything I can do to "kick start" my periods again so to speak? Or would speaking to a doctor be wise?

I am also wondering how to know when to stop losing weight and start maintaining? I'm finding it a little weird that all of my clothes are now too big- even some of my size 8s! (UK) I always pictured somebody a hell of a lot skinnier than me wearing a size 6... I had originally wished to reach 50kg, but now I'm not sure if that would be too small for me!
What a pickle :embarassed:

Replies

• thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    just posting to remind myself to keep checking back. Having major problems, myself.
  • TLei6h
    TLei6h Posts: 15
    Options
    have you made sure you are not pregnant? if not do. and if you are not I would recommend seeing a dr. but it could be because of a life style change. also 400 cals is probably not the best thing to lose weight with Im glad you moved to 1200. 400 is not enough nutrition to survive on.
  • MaeRenee94
    Options
    A change in diet, new workout plan, and and low body fat percentage all result in loss of periods
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    If it's not normal for you to have sporadic menstrual cycles, I would see a doctor over your current situation. Congratulations on upping your intake as much as you have. It could just be that your system needs time to recover from what you put it through earlier -- it's only been a week, after all -- but I think seeing a doctor would be a smart move at this time.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Yes, a doctors visit would be a good idea. No, you're not technically "underweight", but at 400 cals a day for that long, I'd guess you're seriously deficient in some vital nutrients. You should definitely seek actual medical advice, as far as getting back on track.
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Pee on a stick to make sure you aren't pregnant, and see a doctor if you aren't. (Actually, see a doctor if you are, too, but I figure you know that.) Sometimes low body fat can lead to no periods, but that's likely not the healthiest thing.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Yeah even if you started a more sensible eating plan you might still need to have extra treatment. It may not even be related to your diet. You just won't know until you see your doctor. Take this seriously!
  • nataliedanielleneale
    Options
    I'm as far from being pregnant as you possibly can be haha :)

guess it will be a trip to the doctors then :( I'm just so terrified of the lecture that they are going to give me over what I have done to myself- it will be so awkward explaining to them!
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm as far from being pregnant as you possibly can be haha :)

guess it will be a trip to the doctors then :( I'm just so terrified of the lecture that they are going to give me over what I have done to myself- it will be so awkward explaining to them!

They're there to help, hopefully they won't give you too hard of a time.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    50kg at your height and with your current state of not menstruating sounds like a very bad idea. My guess is that you're not seeing yourself as others see you and you should reconsider your goal weight.
  • maggs155
    maggs155 Posts: 258
    Options
    You were on a very low calorie diet that's why your period stopped. You can really mess up the way your body works if your not getting enough calories to fuel your organs . I would see a doctor considering you were on such a low calorie diet and your period stopped. You could have damaged things in your body.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'd see a doctor. Could be a number of reasons and better safe than sorry.
  • nataliedanielleneale
    Options
    I don't think it helps that I would be going to visit a brand new doctor that I have never met before- I'm going to struggle telling somebody face-to-face what I have done/am going through!
  • nataliedanielleneale
    Options
    50kg at your height and with your current state of not menstruating sounds like a very bad idea. My guess is that you're not seeing yourself as others see you and you should reconsider your goal weight.

that's partially the problem- I still see myself as chubby, but my clothes point out otherwise, so I don't know whether to maintain or lose a little more, just incase I pile on pounds by increasing my calories, as I presume my body is used to eating so little :(
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    Please see a doctor. Amenorrhea (cessation of periods due body fat being too low to support a pregnancy) has serious implications for bone density and hormone levels. I had this when I was training hard for a full marathon when I was younger.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am going to echo the doctor advice.

You also need to address your body image issues. Perhaps looking into actually using more weights in your work out in order to strengthen your muscles, because if you have dieted so aggressively who knows what your LBM and bodyfat percentage is actually like.