Yikes! How to healthfully recover?

Options
couldn't sleep and messed up hardcore. Can I give myself the day off from tracking?

The thought of writing tracking it all down stresses me out and makes me feel worse about myself, so....

What happenned is I couldn't sleep got up at like 4/5am and ate big(!) protein vegetable meal I think because I had eaten too much sugar(fruit, cannation no sugar added cocoa) last and my body was craving protein to balance things out. A hug salad, two steamed artichokes, broccoli, tilapia, braggs berry dressing, too much dark chocolate, some milk with diet hot cocoa.

I can't remember ever being this full so early in the morning if ever for a loooong time! I could't sleep at all despite efforts before after eating so I went did an errand, will go for a walk if I don't crash(body probably need that most) before an early afternoon commitment.

Can I give myself the day off from tracking? I know I've gained weight but not how much. How long should I weight to weigh?
I am already beating myself up insanely; I hate my sleep problems as they are totally undermining everything with no solution in sight!(I tried drugs but its not for me) so yikes

Any and all advice greatly appreciated. I am sooooooooooo hard on myself about everything a long term pattern I'd love to finanlly be able to break
And loose weight again too!!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to log it, own it and think about why you did it.
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Big, protein+carb, night-time meals prevent this type of behavior. You don't gain a significant amount of weight from one meal... that's being a little neurotic... chill out....

Lack of sleep from hunger is usually due to low serotonin levels from avoiding carbs at night - eat your largest meal in the evening.
    couldn't sleep and messed up hardcore. Can I give myself the day off from tracking?

The thought of writing tracking it all down stresses me out and makes me feel worse about myself, so....

What happenned is I couldn't sleep got up at like 4/5am and ate big(!) protein vegetable meal I think because I had eaten too much sugar(fruit, cannation no sugar added cocoa) last and my body was craving protein to balance things out. A hug salad, two steamed artichokes, broccoli, tilapia, braggs berry dressing, too much dark chocolate, some milk with diet hot cocoa.

I can't remember ever being this full so early in the morning if ever for a loooong time! I could't sleep at all despite efforts before after eating so I went did an errand, will go for a walk if I don't crash(body probably need that most) before an early afternoon commitment.

Can I give myself the day off from tracking? I know I've gained weight but not how much. How long should I weight to weigh?
    I am already beating myself up insanely; I hate my sleep problems as they are totally undermining everything with no solution in sight!(I tried drugs but its not for me) so yikes

Any and all advice greatly appreciated. I am sooooooooooo hard on myself about everything a long term pattern I'd love to finanlly be able to break
  • SheGlistensasSheSings
    Options
    I really wanted to start by sharing my embarrassment with you guys, and I'm grateful, very much so, that I could.
    Am I the only person this insane? How common do you think it is to dip into an unexpected bodilly funk like this?

Do you think its physical (sleeep deprivation)? Do you think I need to stress about my choices? Have you heard crazier? What kind of stuff do sleep deprived people tend to do? I honestly feel like eating yogurt and berries now a bunch, 3 and a half hours later.

Many many many many thanks. Gratitude= yes.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I think you need to get your thinking under control. Your brain is the biggest factor in hunger. Thinking about food, thinking about eating, thinking about what you'll eat, thinking the food will fix your problems, thinking the food will make things better, it's all thinking. Your stomach isn't thinking it wants yogurt and berries, your brain is. If you're truly hungry your stomach wouldn't care if you threw a dead rat down there, it's looking for nourishment. Your brain is the thing that seeks yummy foods that it wants or tells you to over eat in the middle of the night.

I agree that eating a protein type meal rather than junk, carbs, sugars before bed will probably keep you satiated longer but next time you wake up at 4 am have a big glass of water and go for a walk instead of emptying the refrigerator. You need to retrain your brain to think about something other than what can we eat next.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    There have been days when I was stressed or busy and couldn't log that day. Example, the day we drove across state for a funeral. I kept a mental tally, the next day logged some approximate numbers and moved on. Still lost that week though I did hold water weight for a couple days.

So long as it doesn't happen too often, you should be OK, but yes you need to tackle the root of the problem if it's a continual thing.
  • SheGlistensasSheSings
    Options
    Thank you! I don't have an accessible meter right now but maybe I'm getting more and more sensitive to spikes as I attempt to reduce my plain greek yogurt and berries(though the sweet tooth is not satiated at all) so every time I indulge a little bit it sends me through a brain for anxiety whirl....

I have been eating enough but not tracking properly!!! I've gained weight and am feeling rather bad @ my body. That I'm not doing it right. But I don't know how to do better.

Today my meals were that breakfast fish With a mountain of veggies the dark chocoloate
    too much plain greek yogurt and blueberries
    A mukti green kombucha drink
    A spinach cucumber salad big

a little Dark chocolate and I don't know what else yet.....

I notice the dairy seems to help with sleep at night(L-tryphtophan but not available as a supplement locally) but....

How could I get better at portions without buying stuff? What do you suggest I change?

Wow are you guys increadibly helpful!! No words sufficient for a thank you

The other thing I should mention is that I can't remember the last time I could actually sleep if I was hungry or became enough to feel it, but I can't fall asleep after eating big meals cause of acid reflux. SO I NEVER SEEM TO GET THE RIGHT BALANCE. SORRY FOR THE CAPS, VERY MUCH, MY COMPUTER KEEPS FREEZING
  • SheGlistensasSheSings
    Options
    I meant blood sugar meter.
    Many thanks again!
  • SlimmingMeDown
    SlimmingMeDown Posts: 63 Member
    Options

To make things easy, loosely add up all the extra calories you ate that day, and then make one custom entry for the day in your online food diary. I think you can add custom calories under "Quick Tools."

If you have trouble getting sleep at night, I suggest a one-hour somewhat intense workout during the day. Either walk briskly or strength train. It works for me every time. Also get enough sunlight during the day. If you don't get sunlight, your brain will often keep you awake a longer time.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I recommend buying a food scale. They aren't very expensive and your logging will be so much more accurate.

Also, don't beat yourself up too much. I read this on mfp recently and it is so true. One meal can't make you fat just like one meal can't make you skinny. Log it, learn from it, and move on.

I have also often convinced myself that hunger is something I just CAN'T sleep through but usually, it's all in my head. Drink some water, meditate or find some way to relax and just put food out of your mind.
This discussion has been closed.