Popcorn in bag

Options
jess1992uga
jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
I really, really don't want to have to buy an air popper....but cooking popcorn in the brown paper bag isn't working. Maybe I am doing it wrong...anyone know best methods?

Replies

• trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have just put about a TBspoon in the paper bag, folded the top and microd for a min or so. It worked, not great, but it worked.
  • ybose
    ybose Posts: 2
    Options
    I put in 1/2 cup of orville redenbacher's popcorn in the paper bag, fold over the top twice, and cook in microwave for 3 min. I have a built in microwave/advantium combo (I don't know the wattage when straight microwaving). All kernals don't pop but I get a good bowl of great popcorn out of it, which I top with some butter cooking spray or olive oil spritz and garlic salt. Saw this on Dr. Oz. Lighter weight paper bags sometime split and a few kernals spill out but I haven't had any major problems. Hope this helps.
  • candytag
    candytag Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I put some popcorn in a bowl with a lid and microwave till it stops popping and its great. I don't add oil or butter just plain, no bag needed no air popper. Easy.
  • kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    you can pop corn on the stove in a lidded pan with as little as 1 teaspoon of oil. i do have an air popper and love it.

I got is for under $20.

I stand by and spritz it with "i cant believe it's not butter" as it comes out, then sprinkle it with some sort of popcorn flavoring.
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    just buy popcorn kernel and cook it on the stove.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    It works for me! Are you using fresh seeds and rolling the top of the bag down tight?
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I put some popcorn in a bowl with a lid and microwave till it stops popping and its great. I don't add oil or butter just plain, no bag needed no air popper. Easy.

This would probably work good...I had a very old popcorn bowl and vented top that was made specifically for the microwave and it works great.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I use 1/4c kernels in a standard size brown lunch bag, fold the top down 2xs, and hit the popcorn button! Works everytime!
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I use a presto popper. Always delish and pops nearly every kernel.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I love my air popper - not very expensive and so easy and quick :bigsmile:

Ask for one for christmas :flowerforyou:
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I use 1/4c kernels in a standard size brown lunch bag, fold the top down 2xs, and hit the popcorn button! Works everytime!

This-only I add a tad bit of coconut oil.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with an air popper? I got mine for £13, it's fantastic and comes with a portion measuring cup.
  • stellaelise
    Options
    I love popcorn and had the same issue. My mom had bought me an air popper before and it just made a lot of noise and blew popcorn everywhere! Haha. I was glad to find Sur La Table. I purchased a popcorn bowl from them. It comes with a red topper with holes so if you want butter you can place it on top of that and it drips in as the popcorn pops. It was $20 which seems pricey for a bowl but for something I use nearly daily, it was a good buy.
  • nippoleon
    nippoleon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My mom always just popped kernels in a pot on the oven with some oil.. I really don't think an air popper is necessary.
    My boyfriend has one though, they're nice to have about but I'd hardly say you need it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I really, really don't want to have to buy an air popper....but cooking popcorn in the brown paper bag isn't working. Maybe I am doing it wrong...anyone know best methods?

It doesn't work for me either ...tried 2 different microwaves....oil .....no oil....it left 3/4's of the seeds unpopped. Terrible.

Now I use this in the microwave: http://www.amazon.com/Presto-04830-PowerPop-Microwave-Multi-Popper/dp/B00005IBXK/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1382111023&sr=1-3&keywords=presto+power+cups

Works great. It uses these little cups (multiple uses) ....that concentrate the microwaves ....like the grey circles you see on microwave pizzas.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Was doing a tbsp of kernels in paper bag. Maybe try another day...but air popper definitely going on xmas list. I am in a financial burden right now (college student helping to support my family and paying fees to apply to grad school AND trying to pay doc bills to overcome anorexia) so have to keep expenses to minimum. Thanks again everyone!