What do you snack on?

Options
2»

Replies

• TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Instead of having fruit, have almonds as a snack ... The combination of fiber, fat, and protein may keep you satiated longer that a piece of fruit, which is just carbohydrates ...
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    This time period is also my toughest to get through, I now account for it with a mini meal, really like many of the options noted above but I plan for it daily. I try to allow 1-300 calories and eat about halfway between lunch and dinner. One of my most favorite lately is Oikos key lime yogurt and I use graham crackers to dip in it. Another low cal option is sliced cucumbers with salsa, you can eat a whol cucumber and a 1/4 cup salsa for less then 50 calories, ou mini peppers with cottage cheese.
  • livesthere
    Options
    I just had a delicious pre-workout snack (I try to eat a couple hours before I go so I can go full force at the gym): A whole wheat tortilla with an egg, turkey, and hot sauce. I don't eat dairy, but if I did I would add some cheese to it!

I am a spicy hummus addict. Anything with hummus is delicious. And salsa! Basically I love spicy stuff.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Mainly apples, Greek yogurt, protein bars and low-sodium turkey jerky.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you define as low calorie. My usual snack come in around 200 calories, so that might not be low enough for you.

Nonfat greek yogurt cups (variety of flavors and brands, whatever's on sale and not obscene in sodium)
    Unsalted almonds
    Homemade ciabatta bread with Trader Joe's pumpkin butter (so good)
    A cup of baby carrots (I eat mine plain)
    Occasionally I will have a cookie or a piece of candy, but I prefer my own homemade junk food if I go the junk food route.
  • Susanjellybelly
    Susanjellybelly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Two Ryvita crackers- huge and crunchy with either 2 Laughing Cow, or a 1/4 cup of Antipasto ( ?Sp) . It's super low cal and tastes like a real treat. CostCo has it. I run around 200 cals for a solid snack and I try to keep crunchy apples in the car for the half hour drive home. A nice cup of hot tea with a couple Digestive cookies feels like a proper break snack too. I did find a good Pinterest Pin with a whole list of 200 calories snacks. I love the inspiration I'm getting from everyone. Great question!
  • shan_0517
    shan_0517 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    unsalted raw almonds. they have a nice sweet crunch so it cures my need to crunch. i buy them by the bucket at Sam's warehouse and grab 3 or 4 at a time all day long.
  • inittoloose10
    inittoloose10 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is where my day can go the wrong way . So I have been allowing myself almost as many cals as breakfast.

Salty: cucumber with lime juice and tajin almost like a pickled taste
    Sweet: coffee T sugar 2T of h&h and maple and brown sugar oatmeal
    If I don't have any food on hand I will mix some cookies n cream optimum nutrition protein powder with half a bottle of water and I'm good to go.
  • fitpam90x
    fitpam90x Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite snacks are:
    Suzie's Think Thin Rice Cakes with Cottage Cheese + Sliced Strawberries (or as an alternative, hummus and celery)
    Smari Yogurt (great protein!)
    Handful of Raw Almonds
    Fuji apples
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Now I'm hungry..... :laugh:

Snacks are usually:

raw almonds
    dried cranberries
    blueberries
    crackers & tofutti (soy cream cheese)
    dairy-free dark chocolate
    homemade mini muffins
    soy ice cream (I'm lactose intolerant)
    coffee
    tea
    more chocolate...
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Wow, that depends on my craving. I do use fresh fruit as a sort of mandatory between meal snack to avoid getting too hungry. And that's probably my best bang for minimal calories. Nuts are great when I'm not getting enough protein, or crave something slightly salty. Not exactly low calorie, but well inside my budget for snacks. And they really do have a more lasting reduction in my hunger. Oh, pistachios in the shell are fantastic because they take so long to eat a serving that it feels like you are eating way more than you actually are.

Then we just go off into everything imaginable. My wife bought chocolate chip cookies the other day that were 80 calories each, and decent size for the calories too. I found that one or two of those was an excellent way to make me feel like I wasn't dieting. Whitman puts out a couple of controlled portion chocolates under the Weight Watchers brand that hit the spot when I NEED candy. I find tons of things that fit in the under 150 calorie budget I allocate, so its all about portion control.

And a current favorite...Peeled Snacks dried fruits. They are a little hard to find, though Starbucks is now carrying them. I bought a bunch of single serving bags from the company's website and keep one in my briefcase at all times. They tend to satisfy a candy craving a lot better than fresh fruit.
  • Lorindasuz
    Lorindasuz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try veggies high in fibre, this way you are fuller longer
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    eggs and popcorn
  • Dawn_Snowden
    Dawn_Snowden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with low sugar granola (Sprouts coconut almond) and apples with almond butter. YUMMY!!!