need education on the purpose of hickeys

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
So I've moved into this small town, and was surprised by the number of grown adults sporting hickeys. I thought it was something you quit doing after high school, but maybe I'm wrong.

Do you still enjoy sporting hickeys?
Do you enjoy giving hickeys?
Why are you giving out hickeys is it a lost in passion thing or a marking of territory thing?
Is it acceptable to be walking around with a bruised neck at your work?

I'm lost to this phenomena. I've had my share of love bruises, but for some reason the concept of hickeys is beyond me.

My coworkers tried to explain but I'm still confused. Educate me in your best fitness way.

Replies

• Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I thought it was something only teenagers did, too. A sort of announcement to the world of "Look, I'm gettin' some!" and mainly a way to shock the grown ups. I have no idea why an adult would feel the need to sport one, or create one. Because they have the maturity level of teenagers, I guess.
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I've always thought it was a 'marking the territory, back off' kind of purpose.

I remember being in Grade 12 and going with a guy friend (just a friend) to my formal. His girlfriend (now his wife) gave him 2 hickeys on his neck. I still think it was her way of saying 'back off'. I had/have no interest in him, but nice to know she felt threatened. :laugh:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I usually give hickeys in unseen places to "mark my territory". But any visible ones are usually accidental.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Do you still enjoy sporting hickeys? - No
    Do you enjoy giving hickeys? - No
    Why are you giving out hickeys is it a lost in passion thing or a marking of territory thing? - No
    Is it acceptable to be walking around with a bruised neck at your work? No!

My coworkers tried to explain but I'm still confused. Educate me in your best fitness way.
    [/quote]

Please enlighten us on the co workers explanation :bigsmile:

I never saw the appeal even in my teens a) Looks scratty b) Why bother getting something that you then cover up with a scarf/high collar?
  • Pinkee33
    Pinkee33 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I usually give hickeys in unseen places to "mark my territory". But any visible ones are usually accidental.

^^^^ This.... ????
  • anro86
    anro86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I don't like the way hickeys look...especially at work. I think I may have sported one in high school though. Not so say getting/giving a hickey doesn't feel good, its kind of primal and urgent and in the moment. I have had a couple of them as an adult but definitely not in any spot that can be seen by the general public. :wink:
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    sometimes they just happen if you're getting a little too into it. I don't mind them at all. :smokin:
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I tell my husband to knock it off, if he's on my neck. No hickeys unless its below the neck. He hasn't given me a hickey in years though
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I always viewed hickeys as a sign that a guy (or gal) doesn't know what they are doing...
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I hadn't had one for the longest time (visible anyway) until my SO and I started dating back in 2011. He was a SUPER virgin and I ended up looking like I had been strangled. It was honestly really embarrassing at work.

Anywho, I've found that it just depends on the caliber of "adult" you are around. The "adults" that I used to work with at McDonald's flaunted them like a trophy, but the "adults" at my internship would NEVER dream of doing that.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    No visible hickeys past the age of 16! They're just tacky after that age.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    no
    no
    marking of territory
    no.

It's just never been something that was every a turn on. Who on Earth wants someone to suck on their neck like the Hoover over there in the corner causing broken blood vessels?

Now bruises elsewhere.....:blushing:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    what does OP have against Hickeys?

earl-mugshot.jpg
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Might not be a hickey.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Glad to see most feel about them the same as I do. I was afraid I'd missed some unknown hickey memo.

The explanation from my coworkers (maintenance and nursing) was that you are just so lost in passion it feels so good you don't realize youre getting your neck hoovered.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    what does OP have against Hickeys?

earl-mugshot.jpg

LOL! forgot Earrrrllll!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I hate having visible hickies. My SO used to put them on me every time I had to go out of town without him. Territory marking and annoying. He stopped that, thankfully.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Sometimes they happen in the heat of passion. Like scratches welted down a back. [/shrugs]
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I WAS HERE!

:laugh:

moonshep.jpg
  • KMACafe
    Options
    If I felt a need to "mark" my territory (or have it marked) when I was dating, I would seriously question the relationship in the first place. My body ain't somebody else's property.